12 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 2:07 PM by taniarts RSS

How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

taniarts

I started to edit a film using sony vegas which converts avi files into vf.sfap0 files once you start editing.  I am now using Premier elements 10, which does not recognise the vf files.  So logic tells me I need to convert them to avi files so that premier will open them. Does anyone know how to do this, or have any advise of the best course of action.  cheers Tania

• 1. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

.vf files are Vegas project files.

You should use Make Movie or Render As in Vegas to output your video as a more standard video format, such as:

For standard def video, DV-AVI (which produces an AVI, which should load perfectly into a Premiere Elements project set up for DV).

For hi-def video, 14400x1080 MPEG2 (which produces an MTS that should load perfectly into a project set up for HDV).

• 2. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

As Steve points out, those .vf files are the same in Vegas, as the .PREL files are in PrE. There is no media in them. For more info on "Project Files," see this ARTICLE. While there can be differences between Project, or Session files, between NLE programs, they are usually very similar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
              John T Smith CommunityMVP

>converts avi files into vf.sfap0 files

Are you sure you do not still have your original AVI files on your hard drive?

• 4. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
                taniarts Community Member

Thanks Steve, that makes a lot of sense.  I will try that.

• 5. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

Thanks for that very useful article.  It also cleared up my confusion about the autosave which I was a bit perplexed about.  Cheers Tania

• 6. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

Hi John,  I still have all the original avi raw footage on my hard drive, but all the edited clips have been converted.  Cheers Tania

• 7. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
                      John T Smith CommunityMVP

What codec did you use for your output... the "edited clips have been converted"... to what?

• 8. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

Hi Steve,

I have tried reinstalling sony vegas back onto my computer (I had taken it off recently to free up space as I didn't think I would be needing it.)  But now it wont open up for some reason.  So I am unable to render those edited clips.  Is there another way i can do this without sony vegas?  If not I could contact sony vegas tech support to get it up and running again.  Tania

• 9. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

I'm not sure if I understand.  I am fairly new to film making.  the files were converted to vf.sfap0 files. Not sure if this is what you mean....?

• 10. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
                            nealeh Community Member

Here's hoping to explain, rather than further confuse:

A video project consists of:

• Project Assets: Video, Sound, and Still Images (photos).
                            • A computer program that allows you to create and Edit a multimedia project. This is known as a Non-Linear-Editor (NLE) as you can work on different parts of your project anywhere along the timeline. In your case Adobe Premiere Elements (and previous to that Sony Vegas).

Another feature an NLE is that it is non-destructive. So, for example, you may trim the start point of a video clip, or chop a little bit out of the middle.

Now (and this is the CRUCIAL part) the NLE does NOT change in any way that clip. Instead what it does is create its own file containing instructions on what to do with those project assets when you export them, burn them to DVD, post to YouTube and so forth. In doing this is creates a new single file (e.g. a flash video to upload to YouTube).

Again though, it has still not altered your original files.

So, where are these instructions held?

• In Premiere Elements they are stored in a file with a .prel extension (e.g. MyWeddingAnniversary.prel).
                            • Sony Vegas will store them in a file with a .vf extension.

So, to repeat what has been said earlier, these files contain no media - only instructions on how to interpret the original clips when you come to Share the project to DVD, YouTube etc...

I hope this is clearer and explains Steve's comment in Reply #1 that you should use the 'Make Movie' or 'Render As' to create a new video file that PRE can easily work with.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?
                              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Neale,

Well-stated and thank you. Your explanation should help all, who did not understand what was in a Project, or Session file, and allay their thoughts that the media (Assets) are in those Project, or Session files.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to Convert vf.sfap0 to avi files?

Thanks Nealeh, it is now starting to make perfect sense.  I appreciate your effort in explaining it.  Cheers Tania