7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 3:14 PM by sciulli999

Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?

sciulli999 Level 1

OK... here's my issue.

I have a character AND a cheeseburger made in Photoshop that I then import into AE (two separate .psd files). So I have two compositions in AE... the burger .psd file and the puppet "Burgerman" .psd.

Burgerman needs to hold the cheeseburger, so I have to nest the burger comp WITHIN the "Burgerman" comp so that his hand will go IN FRONT of the cheeseburger. See image:

burgsburgs.jpg

The problem is... I have a layer style applied to the "Burgerman" composition. It's an Inner Shaodw and it gives the character the pink hue you see outlining him. THE PROBLEM is though... the layer style effects the burger composition because it is nested within the Burgerman comp. As you can see... the burger turns very red, which I do not want.

Is there some way to say.. "DO NOT APPLY the layer style to the burger comp nested within the Burgerman comp"?

running CS5 on Mac OS X 10.7.

• 1. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is there some way to say.. "DO NOT APPLY the layer style to the burger comp nested within the Burgerman comp"?

No. You're simply going about this the wrong way. Duplicate the ***** comp when you are done with your animation, remove the burger and then combine those two comps in your main comp. Use the layer styles' Fill Opacity setting to remove the content and only show the glow or colorize the thing using Tritone, Tint or Colorama and then use blending modes for the outline.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
            sciulli999 Level 1

or maybe there's a different way I should be going about this?

Keep the burger out of the Burgerman comp, position it over his hands, and use a mask so that the hand from Burgerman will be over the burger?

The reason I am using AE layer style is that it treats the Burgerman puppet as one piece as it is a composition. If I apply the layer styles in Photoshop, you need to apply to each individual layer, and as each piece of the puppet is it's own layer, you start to see the seams where the layers overlap. See image:

burgie.jpg

• 3. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You're too bent on trying to do this all with one comp. Duplicating and colorizing the comp after you have finished your animation will work just as well, since the Puppet Tool does not care whether or not you hide/ remove things in a pre-comp after the initial creation of the mesh. Of course feel free to try other methods, but even if you leave the burger out and animate it separately, you'd still use a duplicate of the obese man as a matte, rather than trying to draw another mask. You'd simply hide the body and only use the front arm for obscuration... Again, you simply need to adjust your thinking and structure your project accordingly.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
                sciulli999 Level 1

Thanks.

yes I am quite new to AE and motion graphics in general. I'll follow your suggestions and try this out in a bit.

• 5. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
                  sciulli999 Level 1

I followed all of your steps. I must be missing something very obvious.

I duplicated my animation comp (select comp, CMD+D). So there are two now. Select both and choose "Layer > Pre-compose...".

So now my master comp has one comp, which when you click through contains the original animation and the duplicate. The duplicate has the inner shadow applied and the "Fill Opacity" under Advanced Blending is set to 0% to hide the content. So if I hide the duplicate, I can see that it is now JUST the inner shadow, and below is the comp which is the unstyled orignal.

the thing is... both of these comps, the original and duplicate, they both refer back to the same orignal animation comp. So when I double click the original (the normal comp with no inner shadow) and add the burger back, it adds it to both. When it adds to both, the inner shadow is still applied to the burger. I must be missing something. Am I not duplicating the correct way? is there a way to make a true duplicate of a comp so the duplicate does not refer back to the same comp as the original?

• 6. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
                    sciulli999 Level 1

Help anyone? I feel like it must be pretty simple and it's something I'm overlooking as a new user.

Here's as short as an explanation for where I'm at....

My master comp is called "Comp1." In this comp, there is one comp called "Puppet Combined." When you double click "Puppet Combined," it takes you to a comp with my original animation, "Puppet," and its duplicate comp "Puppet Duplicate." "Puppet Duplicate" sits on top and is merely the inner shadow (set by making the Fill Opacity to 0%). I created the duplicate by selecting my original animation, "Puppet," and hitting CMD+D to duplicate it. I can tell everything is in order as advised by Mylenium, because if I hide the comp "Puppet," I can see that "Puppet Duplicate" is just the inner shadow.

At this point though... I'm not sure how to handle the comp "Burger" which is the actual cheeseburger. How do I go about adding the "Burger" comp back into my project where it will retain it's original coloring and not be affected by the inner shadow? As I stated above, if I add it back into the comp "Puppet," it also adds it into "Puppet Duplicate," which I don't want as it then applies the inner shadow.

• 7. Re: Any way to have an AE layer style applied to a comp NOT effect certain layers inside said comp?
                      sciulli999 Level 1

I'm thinking my issue MUST be with how I am duplicating the "Puppet" comp.

Right now I am just selecting the comp and hitting CMD+D.

I'm guessing I should open a brand new comp, copy the "Puppet" comp, and then paste it into the new comp?

I will try when I get back home within the hour.