8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 7:24 PM by station_two

New CS6 Install

Steverock58

Okay, my BETA trial of CS6 expired yesterday, so I bought the upgrade from CS5 Photoshop (not the Extended Version).  I uninstalled the Beta software including the preferences, installed the download from the Adobe Store, but when I open it, it still says Beta and won't accept the updates listed.

This is an upgrade and so using the clean script would mean I would have to reinstall all my qualifying products again going right back to Photoshop 6 from 2000, and install all the upgrades in order over the top.  That is what happened to me when I went to CS3 and was a royal PITA.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the problem?  This didn't happen to the install I dod on my Laptop which wasn't over the Beta.

• 1. Re: New CS6 Install
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steverock58 wrote:

This is an upgrade and so using the clean script would mean I would have to reinstall all my qualifying products again going right back to Photoshop 6 from 2000, and install all the upgrades in order over the top.  That is what happened to me when I went to CS3 and was a royal PITA.

That has not been necessary for several versions.

You can directly install the CS6 upgrade without installing previous full or upgrade versions - even on a new computer which has never had any previous Adobe software installed.

Enter the CS6 upgrade serial number, the installer will ask for a serial number from an earlier version qualifying product. Enter your CS3 serial number (even if that number itself was an upgrade)

Once the CS6 upgrade and CS3 upgrade serial numbers have been entered and accepted, CS6 will fully install.

• 2. Re: New CS6 Install
            Level 5

As John has explained to you, all Adobe upgrades are FULL installers.

• 3. Re: New CS6 Install
              Steverock58 Level 1

Yes, and I have gotten to the bottom of the problem too.  It seems that the installer for CS6 production version doesn't overwrite the Beta installer files when it writes them to the Desktop.  I was installing the Beta version again.  Once I also deleted the Adobe CS6 folder from the desktop and went through the whole process again, I got the correct version.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: New CS6 Install
                Level 5

Aaarrrggh, NO !

Steverock58 wrote:

…It seems that the installer for CS6 production version doesn't overwrite the Beta installer files…

No, of course it doesn't!  No Adobe upgrader does that.

You were supposed to UNINSTALL the beta version with its own Uninstaller before attempting to install the final version.

Don't just drag things to the trash/recycle-bin, you must use the Uninstaller.

Instructions to this effect were/are prominently displayed on this forum and are included in the installation instructions for the final version.

• 6. Re: New CS6 Install
                  Curt Y Level 7

OP said he did uninstall first.

Here is similar question about the beta folder not being deleted by uninstall,  and response by Chris Cox.  Not quite clear on what he means The beta folder name is the same as the release version (and should not have beta in the name) -- so you can just install the final version without making any additional changes.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1012994?tstart=0

• 7. Re: New CS6 Install
                    Steverock58 Level 1

Relax Buddy....  You misinterpreted my post.  I DID delete via the uninstaller in Windows Control Panel.  What I didn't do was go to the Desktop where Adobe dumps its payloads for installing and delete the Beta Payloads.  By this I mean the files the installer creates when it unzips the download files.  The Beta ones were still there and the later download files with the retail version did not overwrite the unzipped Beta files that you install from.  That is why when I was installing from the Desktop, I was getting Beta version again.

I've fixed that, and all is good.

• 8. Re: New CS6 Install
                      Level 5

Sorry, this is the first time you mention Windows.  I freaked out when I read a reference to delete from the desktop.

On the Mac, the Adobe installers never touch the desktop, nor do they put, leave or show any rests of the installation there.

This misunderstanding is an example of the confusion induced by the merging of the previous platform-specific forums.