3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 8:20 PM by myndex

Live 3D offset vs Comp Camera

myndex

Has anyone noticed that when you import a live 3D object from photoshop, that the controller null anchor point relative to the 3D object will DRIFT/SHIFT when using an animated camera in the AE comp?

For instance, I havea  helicopter, set to origin 000 in Photoshop, and when I import into AE as a live 3D layer, it looks properly centered around the origin with the default camera - but when using the layer with an animated camera (from a 3D solve for the live action footage), the helicopter drifts all around the anchor/origin of the controller layer.

It appears as though the world position of the comp camera is not correctly transmitted to Photoshop. The behavior is in both CS5 and 5.5.

What is most frustrating is that a simple BOX primitave seems to remain aligned - but the more complex helicopter mesh will not. I have tried multiple alignements of the mesh in Photoshop - and while I have succeeded in moving the mesh relative to teh anchor in AE, I have not been able to address/remove the drift issue.

• 1. Re: Live 3D offset vs Comp Camera
          myndex Level 1

UPDATE: It appears that the main rotos (blades) of the helicopter caused the overal mesh to adopt a different anchor point (that is not visible), and is not related to the mesh being at the dead center of the 3D sorld in Photoshop. Removing the blades so that the mesh will import with the anchor dead center to the body seems to cure this problem for the most part. However there does not seem to be a way to adjust the origin/anchor for the mesh in Photoshop? Am I missing something??

• 2. Re: Live 3D offset vs Comp Camera
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

However there does not seem to be a way to adjust the origin/anchor for the mesh in Photoshop?

Correct. It always calculates the pivot point based on the bounding box of the overall mesh.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Live 3D offset vs Comp Camera
              myndex Level 1

Hmmm. Considering the problems that result, it seems like a terrible oversight to not be able to adjust such a simple parameter.