11 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 2:59 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player

revilord

I find that some of my MOV files will run in Windows Media Player and some will not. I'm not sure what is causing this and don't know where to start. The only things I know that is different is that in the details the MOV's that won't play don't have any height or width. There is no error I can find.

• 1. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
          ...don't know where to start...

Start from using another player: MPC Home Cinema, KMP, Daum PotPlayer or whatever...

• 2. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

MediaPlayer is only "borrowing" the Quicktime components, anyway, so why not simply play rthose files in Quicktime right from the start? And yeah, alternate players can probably do some of that, too.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
              revilord Level 1

The MOV won't play in Silverlight, HTM5 or our third party media distribution system called Broadsign. I can't get around using these applications to play the file. One other common element is that the files that will play in WMP are not full screen. Every one that is full screen won't play.

• 4. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Seriously: Look up the system requirements of that system and web design in general. You are oparating in the dark and haven't done your homework by reading up on some basics.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                  Samuel Chrisna Level 1

have you tried to install the codecs? k-lite mega codec pack?

• 6. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

No way! Anything, but K-Lite codec pack!

• 7. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                      bogiesan Level 4

revilord wrote:

I find that some of my MOV files will run in Windows Media Player and some will not. I'm not sure what is causing this and don't know where to start. The only things I know that is different is that in the details the MOV's that won't play don't have any height or width. There is no error I can find.

WMV will only play a few Mac-based codecs without extensive modifications at the Windows level. It's always easier to encode to a Windows-based codec.

• 8. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

it sounds as if you're constrained to creating Windows Media for final delivery.  A windows box should be able to create Windows Media with a a free plugin from Microsoft; okay, I THINK it's free; don't know that for sure.

On a Mac?  Open your wallet: you'll need a pay version of Flip4Mac at the very least.  You'll find it on the Telestream web site.  Don't get the freebie: it will only convert half of the original file.  Be sure to get the proper version for the resolution at which you're working.

• 9. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                          revilord Level 1

I generate a large number of MOV files every week for the media company I work  for. 100% work as expected and have for some time now. We spent months finding the right variables to produce a file type that was optimal for the applications we use to display multiple full motion content. All these files were only a portion of the screen with a banner running below (weather, news ticker, etc.). Recently I was asked to produce MOV files that take up the entire screen. 0% of them work and I have only changed the screen size. I have been converting them to WMV's to make it work but that is extra work and I don't have the time to maintain two sets of content for my clients and my clients don't want to handle two sets either. I think I am missing a setting or something that is causing the full screen movies to output with no height or width.

• 10. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

We're still flying blind because you've given us  very little useful information for diagnostic purposes.

When the files you delivered worked, what were the delivery specifications?  H&V dimensions, frame rate, media container, codec and pixel aspect ratio?

What are the delivery specifications of the new files you're expected to deliver?

• 11. Re: Can't run some MOV in Windows Media Player
                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Windows Media Player is very picky in relation to 'non-standard' resolution settings.

E.g. I rendered out my composition into lossless avi file with resolution 1600 x 1200 pixels.

WMP can recognise this file, but the playback is jerky because of high bitrate.

If I convert the file into mp4, keeping original resolution, WMP bumps into the same issue as yours: it can neither see frame size nor play it back (whereas MPC HomeCinema, Daum PotPlayer and even QuickTime can).

However if I convert the original file into one with some 'standard' resolution (e.g. 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080), WMP can recognise and play it back smooth as butter...