15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 4:34 AM by Peter Spier

cs4 master pages/printing??

nycboy25 Level 1

What does  it mean when your CS4 master pages have parenthesis around their page numbers?  Only my pages (2-3) are this way & i can't find any way to change it back to without the ()??

these are the only pages that i'm having a problem printing with...all the other pages print out just fine..but my printer isn't seeing page #3....could this be why??

• 1. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Master pages don't normally have page numbers, they start with letters. Do you in fact mean master pages?

Document (non-master) pages appear in brackets [2-3] not parentheses (2-3) when Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle is set. Is that what you mean?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
            nycboy25 Level 1

The numbers are under the master pages as they are listed in the scroll of all the pages in the doc.  Only my pages 2 & 3 are shown with parentheses around them...All the other numbers are fine as they are.  For whatever reason, only the page # 3 is the one that will not print out...Can't figure out why that would be???

• 3. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

Document (non-master) pages appear in brackets [2-3] not parentheses (2-3) when Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle is set.

That should be NOT set...

Sounds like some other problem in the file though. Shuffling should not be affecting printability. Have you tried this: Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 4. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                samallen3 Level 1

This happens to me sometimes when I get pages that have binary EPS data linked to them.  If you reset the warning dialog boxes, InDesign should pop up with one if this is the case, warning you that the binary data could interfere with printing.

• 5. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                  nycboy25 Level 1

Where do I find the file/drop-down that will allow me to turn "Allowed Selected Spread to Shuffle" off??  Under the "Pages" file or somewhere else??

Many thanks to all the great info coming thru...you folks are amazing ......

• 6. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??

There's a flyout menu in every panel. You want the one in the Pages Panel.

• 7. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

You might want to answer the questions I asked in the first reply.

Where do I find the file/drop-down that will allow me to turn "Allowed Selected Spread to Shuffle" off??  Under the "Pages" file or somewhere else??

In the Pages panel, select the pages in question, and then right-click or control-click. (You can also use the flyout, or triangle menu, in the upper left corner of the Pages panel).

• 8. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                        nycboy25 Level 1

Many thanks,  I found the "Shuffle" part & changed it to what you said it should be set at but, my pages (2-3) are still present & have not changed at all...but now something weird has surfaced....I now have 2 pages numbered #1....the first one is correct as it should be #1 but in my second spread under "Master Pages" that should be #'s 2 & 3 are now #'s 1 & 2...does this make any sense to anyone???  I can't correct this no matter what menues I click or follow & No, the page now numbered #2 still won't print.....

• 9. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??

First off, lets get straight waht a master page is, and what should be called a master page. I think you are mistakenly referring to the page icons in the Pages panel as Master Pages. A master page is a special page that is used as a template for other docuemtn pages. Normally it is not visible except when being edited and would not be printed. Objects added to a Master Page appear on every Document Page to which that master is assigned.

There are two sections inthe Pages panel. Unless you change it, the top section contains the icons for the Master Pages (which have labels like [None] or A - Master) and the bottom section has the icons for your Document Pages, which will carry number labels. To access a Master Page you double-click its icon. Document pages, and masters based on other masters, will show the letter of the master on which they are based inside the icon.

If you have duplicate page numbers it means your documetn has at least two sections. You can see a section start in the Pages panel as a small black triangle above the page icon. Right-click on one of these section start pages in the panel (or any page where you want to start a new section), and choose Numbering and Section Options to control section starts, numbering, and the style applied to the numbers. It's not unusual to have, for example a front matter section and a body text section in a long document, both of which might start on page 1, but to avoid confusion it is a good idea to change the number style on one of the sections -- front matter for example is often numbered in small roman numerals.

You also have the choice in your preferences to Use Section Numbering, in which case the logical page numbers assigned to the pages will be dispayed, or Absolute Page Numbering, in which case the first page will always carry the number 1 and all pages after will follow in numeric sequence, regardless of the number assigned.

None of this should have anything to do with your printing problem. Is your page printing as a blank sheet, or not being included? If it's printing blank, what does it look like on screen when you go to Preview Mode? If it's not being included at all in the print run, check the print dialog to be sure you haven't specified a page range that leaves this page out.

• 10. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Like I asked on Monday night, I still can't tell if you're talking about brackets [2-3] or parenthesis (2-3) or something else. Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the Pages panel.

• 11. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                              nycboy25 Level 1

Firstly I have to say many thanks for all the great ideas that have come my way...you guys are awsome...

Here's my current situation....My Master Pages seem to be fine & are labeled as such, which is good...It's the regular pages that are problems...

I now have 2 Pages # 1 & the first page #1 ( the solo one at the very top of my scroll) says it's an "A Master Applied" instead of saying its Page 1.....how this came to be, I have no idea....

And ,...yes the pages #'d 2-3 STILL have a pair of parenthesis (...)   around them...which NO OTHER pages in my whole scroll do  but I still can't do anything to change this....

So the pages that should be #2-3 are now read as #1-2 & no, this page #2 still will not print out, no matter what I tell the printer to do...It does not print out at all..not black, not blank...nothing....All the other pages print just fine...Only this #2 ((( that should be actually #3))) is still havin' problems....

It does  not show up on a Print Preview at all

One thing everyone should know it this...I did not set up this  document  ((didn't know how to at the time)))...my nephew did when he was helping me to create my Stamp Catalogue...& Yes, I've asked him about all this but he is toooooo busy right now to help much...He's a wonderful Graphic Artist by the way...

Many thanks for all the help & ideas...

I WILL get this darn doc to work...I have tooooooooooo.....

Message was edited by: nycboy25

Message was edited by: nycboy25

• 12. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??

I'm suspecting that there is nothing printable on the page and you're set not to print blank pages, but we seem to be going around and around on this quite a bit. It would be much faster to just see the file, if you are willing to share, and then I can see for myself just what's going on with all of these various problems. I'll sned you an upload link in a private message...

• 13. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??

OK, I got your file, and here's what I THINK is going on to cause the page to appear to be blank (it isn't really):

If you look at the print dialog it is set to print spreads (the Spreads checkbox is checked). Because the first page 1 is a right-hand page all by itself it only prints on one side of the spread, and the other side is blank, The second Page 1 (what should be numbered 2) begins the second spread. At least that's what happens here when printing to 11 x 17.

Let's fix the page numbers, first.

SectionStart.png

Start by right-clicking on the left page of that first highlighted spread [1-2] and choose Numbering and Section Options. Since I can't see a reason for a section start there, just uncheck the box that says Start Section, click OK, and the numbers will now be 1, 2, 3... as you want them.

Right-click that spread again, and this time choose Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle and the brackets will disappear. Your Documetn is now "normal" in the sense that it has only one section, all pages are aloowed to shuffle if you add or remove a page, and the numbering is continuous and on the correct sides with odd pages on the right, evens on the left.

I'm not sure why you are printing spreads (if you are), unless you are trying to proof what the book will look like after assembly, which is fine. Since after assembly the first page will appear by itself, and it's a single-page spread in your layout, it is normal and expected that page 1 will be by itself on the first page of your output, but page 2 SHOULD be printing next to page 3 now. If you don't need spreads, uncheck the spreads box in the print dialog, and for goodness sake DO NOT EXPORT SPREADS to PDF for the printer.

• 14. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??
                                    nycboy25 Level 1

Dear Mr. Spier:

I have now corrected all the problems you have pointed out & so far, so good....Everything is working just fine & now, maybe I can move on to the fun part of this catalogue & actually get it right..

Many, many thanks for your time & effort on my behalf....I'll have to remember to try & come find you whenever I stumble upon something else that makes no sense in InDesign.....

I can only hope that you find your working efforts are worth more then you know & that Adobe appreciates you as much as thety should...

Again, many thanks....

Frank R. Michel

• 15. Re: cs4 master pages/printing??

Frank,

You are quite welcome. I suspect that for all of the regular participants here our main motivation is the pleasure we take in helping other users. Notes like yours above are icing on the cake.

Thanks.