6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 6:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

How do I allow user to download file?

tsimshatsui Level 1
      Hi there,

I would like to allow the user to download a 10 meg jpeg image by clicking on a thumbnail. Ideally clicking on the thumbnail would open a dialogue box that asks the user where to save the file. What I don't want is for the user to click on the thumbnail and then for the browser to load the entire 10 meg image and then have the user save it. Is there some clever way to allow the user to click on the small thumbnail and then just download the large jpeg file to their harddrive??

I am very new to Dreamweaver so sorry if this is a silly post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Ali
        • 1. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
          Ethereal_Mike Level 1
          Zip the file, this way the user will get option to save the file to their hard drive.
          • 2. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
            Level 7
            tsimshatsui wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I would like to allow the user to download a 10 meg jpeg image by clicking on
            > a thumbnail. Ideally clicking on the thumbnail would open a dialogue box that
            > asks the user where to save the file. What I don't want is for the user to
            > click on the thumbnail and then for the browser to load the entire 10 meg image
            > and then have the user save it. Is there some clever way to allow the user to
            > click on the small thumbnail and then just download the large jpeg file to
            > their harddrive??
            >
            > I am very new to Dreamweaver so sorry if this is a silly post. Any help would
            > be greatly appreciated.

zip the 10mb file and upload it to the server. Create a thumbnail link
            to the zipped file on the server. When the end user clicks the thumb it
            should download to their computer.

• 3. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
              Level 7
              Osgood wrote:

> zip the 10mb file and upload it to the server. Create a thumbnail link
              > to the zipped file on the server. When the end user clicks the thumb it
              > should download to their computer.

And include explanatory text that tells the visitor that clicking the
              thumbnail will begin the download. Various things can happen when a
              download starts, depending on the browser and how individual preferences
              are set. If I click on something and a download starts when I haven't
              expected it, I usually cancel it. So tell them.

--
              James M. Shook
              http://www.jshook.com
              • 4. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
                tsimshatsui Level 1
                thank you guys very much
                • 5. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
                  ned_predgrupa
                  Hi,
                  I have came upon same problem on my web-site. However, I don't want to solve it by zipping the file, because I am putting my MP3 files, and I don't want people to first download the ZIP file, then extract it...I want them to download it directly as MP3....without writting them "Click right button on mous, choose "Save trget as.."..."...
                  any help?
                  Ned
                  • 6. Re: How do I allow user to download file?
                    Level 7
                    ned_predgrupa wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > I have came upon same problem on my web-site. However, I don't want to solve
                    > it by zipping the file, because I am putting my MP3 files, and I don't want
                    > people to first download the ZIP file, then extract it...I want them to
                    > download it directly as MP3....without writting them "Click right button on
                    > mous, choose "Save trget as.."..."...
                    > any help?
                    > Ned
                    >

I think there are PHP scripts that will force download a file.
                    Google "force download" or "PHP force download"

this means you'll have to change your page to .php and that your server must support php

--
                    seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                    http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
                    Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List