25 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 7:53 AM by Nohjekim

Help with fill, in shape tool?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

InDesign CS 4.

When I drag a new rectangle it always fills with a fade from left to right with a border line that fades as well. It's the same with elipses or polygons.

Trying to change the fill, or the line color has no effect.

I don't know how I got this turned on and I can't figure out how to turn is off.

I'm in the middle of a job, I need to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help

Mike

• 1. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

With nothing selected, change the fill and stroke colors, and new shapes will use the new selections.

• 2. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
            Nohjekim Level 1

Thanks I'll give it a try.

• 3. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I changed the color of both the fill and the line to red.

Now when I drag a rectangle it fades from red to black instead of from black to white?

I can change the color using the swatch palette but it still always has a fade across it?

Mike

• 4. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

Please post a screen capture of the swatches panel with nothing selected in your document.

• 5. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                  Nohjekim Level 1

Here is an image of the swatches panel and one of the rectangle.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/nohjekim/Swatches.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/nohjekim/InDesign.jpg

• 6. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

And there was nothing selected on your page when you set the swatches that way?

• 7. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                      Nohjekim Level 1

Hi again

I tried to upload a picture of the whole screen but for some reason it wouldn't work.

It was working a few minutes ago, that's computers I guess.

But there was nothing seleted.

It's been this way since somethime yesterday.

I've never had this happen before and I've been a user since Aldus PageMaker. LO

I'm fairly new to CS4 though.

I'll reboot and see if I can show the whole screen.

Mike

• 8. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

Sounds like it could be corrupt prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 9. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                          samallen3 Level 1

Do you have an object style set with those attributes selected perhaps?  It seems to me you are doing things right, so as Peter said - it's most likely corrupt preferences.

• 10. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I removed the cashes and I checked to see that no object style was set.

When I restarted Indesign all of my swatches were gone.

Just a blank panel.

I can't seem to get them to come back by selecting the objects on the page.

So I'm going to remove InDesign and reinstall it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Mike

• 11. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

DON'T do that. Follow the instructions for replacing the prefernces in the link I posted above.

• 12. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                Nohjekim Level 1

Hi again.

I did that, that's when my swatches all disapeared, I think it's time to start over.

It only seems to be getting worse, the swatces didn't reapear when I replaced the cashes that I had moved.

And they didn't show up when I opened several pages from the job.

So something just isn't working right.

If worse comes to worse I have another InDesign installatio in Windows 7 on the same computer.

I'm running Windows 8, and it has been working fine for months.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

• 13. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                  Nohjekim Level 1

I reinstalled in a different directory, actually a different drive, and I still have all the same problems.

The boxes still come in shaded and I don't have any swatches not even the default cymk ones.

This really has me stumped.

Next step is to open Windows 7 and see if I can get the job done then I'll worry about this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to have to completely wipe Indesign including any preferences it's picking up and reinstall again.

What puzzles me is why it isn't picking up the swatches when I open a file now.

Mke

• 14. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

An empty panel is a dead giveaway that your preferences are damaged. You must replace BOTH files inthe set, either by using the Keyboard method or the maual method detailed in that link. When you uninstall you are given the option to delete the preferences. If you don't do that your fresh install is still going to use the old set of damaged prefs.

• 15. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                      Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

The good news is that my installation in Windows 7 works fine.

The bad new is that I did tell not to keep my preferences when I uninstalled it.

I got my job to the point where I can stop on it for today in Windows 7 so i'm going to give uninstalling it another try.

This time I'll try and get rid of everything including registry entries.

Mike

• 17. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I uninstalled again, I ran the cleanup tool.

I removed all the registry entries, I deleted every folder I could find for Indesign.

I ran my registry cleaner just to be sure, I installed in a different directory.

When I uninstalled I said don't save preferences.

When I reinstalled it was all working fine, with one exception, I still have the shading in any shape that I create using the shape tool?

Any other idea?

Mike

• 18. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

OK. make a brand new document. Don't add anything to it at all, and show me a screen capture of the swatches panel.

• 19. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Here is the image...

Swatches Panel New Document.JPG

As you can see it works fine if I open a new document.

If I open any of the pages then the problem comes back.\

So somehow what ever is happening is encoded into the documents.

I also noticed that the shapes created are transparent.

When I overlapped it with another box I could see it underneath.

Well since it works fine in Windows 7 I'll just finish the job using it and hope that it doesn't happen on the next job.

Weird that it works in Windows 7 and suddenly not in Windows 8.

And if it's an error in the file why does it not open the same in 7.

Mike

• 20. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

Well you didn't do quite what I asked, but it certainly appears that there is nothing wrong with the defaults for new files.

Existing files are not affected by changes ini defaults for new files or other exisiting files, you must change the settings in an existing file on an individual basis. Your description sounds as if there might be an object style assigned by default in this document, but changes made to the default stroke and fill should be overriding that. Rather than continuing to speculate about what's wrong, would you be willing to send me the file? I'll send you an upload link. I have client meetings this morning, but I'll try to look at it this afternoon.

• 21. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                                Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Peter

I just got back to my computer!

I'd be glad to send you one of the effected pages.

I have discovered that out of the 8 pages in this job, this is only happening on 2 of them.

One is the cover which has a lot of images and that's where I first noticed the problem and one of the inside pages which has only 2 graphics.

I'll send the inside page which is smaller. Just under 8 mb.

Where do I find the link?

Mike

Do you need an e-mail address?

• 22. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

I sent you a private message with a link and instructions this morning. I'd REALLY like to see the whole file, not just a piece, so I can try to figure out why it's correct in some places, but not others.

• 23. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                                    Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Peter

I've tried several time to send the file, for some reason it failed every time.

I think this is something I'm going to have to look into as well.

I had problems uploading images earlier too, and I usually upload large video files with no problems..

Anyway I've figured out what's wrong, but not why!

The problem is that the shapes are appearing with the Gradient Feather, and Drop Shadow effects applied.

I can turn them off now that I know what's happening.

But I don't know how to change it do that they aren't on by default.

Maybe you can tell me that.

Mike

• 24. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?

Defaults are set when nothing is selected and you make some sort of settings change. If a document is open, the change affects only the current file, if no documetn is open you are setting defaults for all new files, but will not affect any existing documents.

In your file, make sure nothing is selected, then go to Window > Effects to open the Effects panel and click the little fx button at the bottom. There should not be any checkmarks next to anything in the list. If there are, click it to open the dialog and uncheck all the boxes. Alos in the Effects panel make sure the Blend Mode dropdown in the upper left is set to Normal and Opacity is set to 100%. Repeat these checks for the Stroke and Fill subcategories (you may need to click the triangle next to Object to show them).

• 25. Re: Help with fill, in shape tool?
                                                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Peter

That's all it took to fix it.

What made me look in the effects was the fact that it started having a drop shadow, (it wasn't doing that to start with only the fade thing) I knew where to change that.

That made my look in Object/Effects, and I saw the check marks.

I have no idea how it got set to those settings there isn't anything in the document that has those settings applied.

And I should have know how to change the defaults I've been doing this for years but changing to CS4 has caused me some problems.

Especially dragging frames with their contents to a different size, I have that figured out now too.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike