6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 9:17 AM by lmagellan

Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)

dgreer

Hello,

Hoping someone has seen this issue before and can offer a solution or workaround to the problem.  Today's date is 5/29/12.

One of my endusers can't launch Flash Pro CS5.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.  Splash screen for Flash comes up, then main window appears in background, but no menu or content appears.  Flash splash screen shows "Loading Accelerators", Finder reports application "not responding", and requires Force Quit.

I checked his crash log and it says:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000b178affc

Crashed Thread:  25  Java: VM Thread

I'll be happy to post the entire report, or just that thread of the crash report if it'll help, but just that part (Thread 25) is 500 lines, in and of itself - would make for a rather large post.

Problem occurs on enduser, local admin & root user accounts.  Removing/re-creating Application Support files and prefs did not resolve.  Enduser is an advanced user/power user and issue just surfaced - was not occurring last week.

Only recent changes to the machine were OS & Adobe CS5.5 updates I applied early last week.  To the best of my knowledge, none of the updates involved Flash or Java, and none of my other endusers (25 Macs, running identical disk images, and who received exact same updates) have been affected.

At this point, the only trick left in my bag is remove & reinstall.  I'd like to avoid having to do that, if at all possible.  If anyone has seen this before, and can offer any ideas, thoughts or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,

-Don

• 1. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Remove and reinstall, it's an isolated issue as you mentioned. I have almost the same number of Lions running around with CS5.5 with no issues. Reinstalling takes less time than diagnosing.

CS6? TONS of issues. CS5.5? No issues.

You should know from iOS programming EXC_BAD_ACCESS is accessing an object that doesn't exist. The worst, most useless error to diagnose. Not worth the time.

• 2. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
            lmagellan

Very interesting.  I am having the same issue.  I start up Flash, got to "Loading Accelerators" and then the spinning ball.  "Force quit" indicates "not responding".  This last time during my attempt to start the app up again I started looking for info online and found your posting.  So as I am reading your post and logging in to reply to you Flash actually starts.  I can even open my files.  I checked the crash log - yes, I had the same error message as you did.

Crashed Thread:  15  Java: VM Thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000010

But it's working now.  I've even quit and started it again.  Yes, it took just as long - probably 5 minutes or so - to start up.  Its a long time to wait, and it shouldn't be happening, but all I really want is to be able to finish my project.

Good luck!

-Linda

• 3. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
              dgreer Level 1

@ lmagellan  Thanks very much for your response Linda, I gave your approach a shot, and it appears to work.

7 of 25 installations were affected on my end.

Two approaches appear to have resolved the problem:  One, was your approach, which resolved the issue on 5 of the 7 affected machines. 

The other, that resolved the issue on the other 2 machines, was to clear the Java caches ("Delete Files..." button in "Network" pane of "Java Preferences")

Very weird, but hey, I'll take it.  Beats remove and reinstall by a longshot.  Hopefully the installs will continue to perform as expected.  If not, I'll post back to this thread.

• 4. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
                dgreer Level 1

@ sinious  Thanks for your response.  I agree that's one of the most useless, and frustrating errors ever.  I was about to do a remove/reinstall on one of the affected machines when I received lmagellan's reply.  Her solution worked, so no need to remove/reinstall.  Thank you anyway, though!

• 5. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
                  dgreer Level 1

@ lmagellan; I noticed that after letting the app launch "in it's own time", then quitting and relaunching, the relaunch went much faster - dare I say in it's "normal/usual" amount of time.  If yours is still taking 5 min or so to relaunch, you might try clearing your Java caches.  Thanks again for your response!

• 6. Re: Flash CS5.5 hang/crash at startup (OS X)
                    lmagellan Level 1

Thanks Don.  Clearing the Java cache made it launch much faster.