4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 7:47 PM by magneticbear

How can I fix aliased smart objects and vectors?

magneticbear

Since I've purchased and installed Photoshop CS6, I can no longer properly import smart objects from Illustrator.

Vector in Illustrator:

Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 3.47.13 PM.png

Pasted as a smart object in Photoshop CS6 (notice the lack of half-pixels):

Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 3.47.57 PM.png

• 1. Re: How can I fix aliased smart objects and vectors?
          MikeKPhoto Level 2

I am working on a logo for a client who supplied me with an Illustrator file, while not as bad as yours, there is a section of fine detail that is showing the exact same problem. Interesting that it only exhibits this behavior on certain parts of the image, specificall a diagonal line. Shows this behavior in both Photoshop CS5 and CS6. My other problem is I cannot check this in Illustrator as I only have Illustrator 8.0 which is really old and not compatible with this file

I suspect we are hitting the limits of rasterizing the image, but would love to hear from the experts as I have to make a 5 foot version of this logo and if it prints like this it will not be acceptable

Cheers

MK

, Logo_01.JPG

• 2. Re: How can I fix aliased smart objects and vectors?
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

magneticbear wrote:

Pasted as a smart object in Photoshop CS6 (notice the lack of half-pixels):

You cam Place in documents and create smart opbect layers.  Paste does does not create Smart Object Layers., Depending on your general preferences you cans have Photoshop create smart object layers when you drag and drop layers.

Are you sure your dealing with smart object look at the layers icon in the layers palette.

• 3. Re: How can I fix aliased smart objects and vectors?
              Paulo Skylar Level 4

JJMack wrote:

.......  Paste does does not create Smart Object Layers., ...........

You can paste items copied from Illustrator into Photoshop as smart objects - you simply have to choose that option.

Capture.PNG

Magneticbear : When you place your object into Photoshop, do you have the Antialias box (in the options bar) checked before you commit the transform ?  Without it you would get the type result you indicate.

Capture2.PNG

Paulo

• 4. Re: How can I fix aliased smart objects and vectors?
                magneticbear Level 1

Awesome! Thanks Paulo, I had never noticed that anti-alias checkbox before. That fixed it.