4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 7:45 AM by Curt Y

GPU Cards for PS6 & LR

Dsel Level 1

Tested video cards for Photoshop CS6

"Adobe tested the following video cards before the release of Photoshop CS6 . This document lists the video card by series. While the minimum amount of VRAM supported on video cards for Photoshop CS6 is 256MB, some features require 512MB of VRAM to be enabled."

nVidia GeForce 8000, 9000, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 series

nVidia Quadro 400, 600, 2000, 4000 (Mac & Win), CX, 5000, 6000

AMD/ATI Radeon 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 series

AMD/ATI FirePro 3800, 4800, 5800, 7800, 8800, 9800, 3900, 4900, 5900, 7900

Intel Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics P3000, Intel HD Graphics P4000

Which is preferred nVidia or ATI???

2000-PB Quadro 2000 what others would be a better option keeping similar price points???

Also the GeForce series listed are old now compared to the new 600-series. Not sure how much diff it would make for adobe CSS if, for example, you got a GTX670 vs the quadro 2000 vs a GTX570, for example.

• 1. Re: GPU Cards for PS6 & LR
          Level 7

Which is preferred is up to you.

Any card and driver that work correctly should be fine with Photoshop or Lightroom.

• 2. Re: GPU Cards for PS6 & LR
            Dsel Level 1

I am sure they will all run as they are in the Adobe Tested list… I don't know which I prefer as I can't get any relevant PS6 data to compare.

Does anyone know where we can get a comparison of the performance of these cards for PS6? Contacted adobe and they say they don't have the data..........Didn't they test the cards?

I don't see how providing official bench marks, data tables or just grouping the cards into entry level, amateur, home office, pro, and high end commercial. Is biased if it is raw performance data.

They range in price from a few hundred dollars to over $10,000. There must be a level that will suit most professional small business photographers vs high end advertising professionals.

Which Geforce is comparable to what Qudro or why are they different pros n cons. etc etc

I am considering the nVidia Quadro 2000 which has 1Gb on board.

Wondering which cards are comparable price vs performance wise? Or what benefits this or others have to each other.

I have learn't heaps through research and forums. I have updated my spec but the one grey area is still this GPU.

I don't want to spend $5-600 on a Quadro2000 if it could have been done with a gamer card for half the price. Nor do I want to spend that money and find the Quadro2000 is an expensive paper weight I need a Quadro4000.

In other words money is very tight and I don't want to blow it on excessive or under performing gear.

I don't know how these cards perform to even choose between the similar items per brand. Obviously some will give you "better band for buck" depending on what work your doing.

Me I will be working on large raw files and doing Digital compositions with many layers etc. But I am a one man business trying to get started after working at commercial studios.

• 3. Re: GPU Cards for PS6 & LR
              Level 7

We tested them for functionality - not for specific benchmarking.  We don't have benchmarks, nor do we plan to offer benchmarks.

• 4. Re: GPU Cards for PS6 & LR
                Curt Y Level 7

From what I have seen in the comments over the years the expensive cards are not needed for PS.  A mid range card works fine.  If you are doing a lot of high end video then a better card may be needed.  The Premier Pro Forum has a FAQ on card selection I believe.  Not sure how old the info is.

The biggest factor is the driver.  If the manufacturor does not keep up with advances then the card is handicaped.  Nvidia and ATI are the 2 bigggest and are about equal.  Some feel ATI is a little more responsive to driver updates than Nvidia.