10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 2:38 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10

141rockwell Level 1

This is program question.  I just purchased PRE10 online from the adobe store and have been trying to work with the program.  My last version was 7 and 3 before that.  So I'd like to think I'm fairly familiar with the interface and functions of the program. 

However, for the life of me I can't figure out why I can't seem to de-interlace any video. 

The export button that I'm used to in the file menu is now grey'ed out (doesn't seem to matter what my project setting is or what my media files are).  None of the options in the Share utility have a de-interlace option. 

Am I missing something?

How do you guys de-interlace?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

-rockwell 

p.s.  I'm running PRE10 on a Win7 64bit machine.  Q6600 chip.  4gb RAM.

• 1. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
          nealeh Level 5

Where relevant deinterlacing options are within the Advanced Share settings:

1.png

Or select and right-click a clip on the timeline and use Field Options:

2.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you match your project settings to your source video, you won't have interlacing issues.

Though it's also important that you use the proper output for your media player.

Video that is output for TV is usually interlaced. Video that you're going to play on your comptuer is not. This is why, when someone asks how to output an MP4 or AVI or MPEG or whatever, our first question is always, Where do you plan to display your video? The needs for each player are unique.

So, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

And which Share option did you select to output it?

• 3. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
              nealeh Level 5

141rockwell wrote:

The export button that I'm used to in the file menu is now grey'ed out

All Export functions are now in the Share tab. The only thing it's now used for is to export Titles for reuse in other projects.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
                141rockwell Level 1

Nealeh, Steve,

Thank you both very much for your responses.  Up to this point, I've worked exclusively in SD.  I've done a couple of projects in HD now and I'm trying to compile a demo reel for a potential client.  It's been increadibly frusterating trying to combine my SD projects with my HD projects in this reel (file) that the client wants me to electronically send to him.  I've tried down-rezzing the HD material to SD, but that resulted in flickering and rather substandard video.  I thought experimenting with the fields would solve the problem (at least with the flickering part) but I could not find a way to do that (hence my opening post).

I've throught about doing this the other way around, but I have more SD material for the reel than HD, so I thought going SD was the way.

Steve, your specific questions:

I have a Sony SR-11.  The footage was:  1440 x 1080i, top field first, 29.970 framerate, MT2S, AVCHD.

Project setting was:  AVCHD, HD 1080i 30, which produced no red line.

Originally I attempted to down-rez to DV AVI, to use in my SD timeline with my other projects.  This produced the flickery video. 

I've also tried the SUPER file conversion program, but its quality was even worse.

Maybe I'm doing this all wroing?  Maybe it's not a de-interlacing issue?

• 5. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Down-rezzing from HD to SD is not as easy, as it might at first seem. While Premiere (both Pro and Elements) can do it, the quality is not the ultimate. Jeff Bellune has created a TUTORIAL, that might be helpful. He uses free, open-source programs, to do the down-rezzing, for ultimate quality.

Hope that this is helpful, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
                    141rockwell Level 1

Thank you Bill.

I will check out that tutorial.  Seems a little bit involved. 

At this point I feel like sending two files... HD and SD.

Thanks again for your help!

• 7. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10

The video from that camcorder is 1920x1080 AVCHD.

If you chose Full AVCHD as your project settings and then used Share/Computer/AVI to output your DV-AVI, your results should have been terrific (although standard, rather than high resolution).

You definitely should not be seeing flickery video. Can you output a WMV of your video (Share/Computer/WMV) and post it in our Gallery or on YouTube so that we can see the flickering your describe?

• 8. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
                        141rockwell Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, the SR-11's full HD is 1920x1080i AVCHD, which is its HD FH mode.  That records at 16M.  I recorded the footage on the HD HQ setting, which records at 9M and at 1440x1080i AVCHD, due to the amount of footage I shot. 

I've uploaded a sample of the DV-AVI video to youtube and watched it.  So now I'm really confused.  In my windows media player and quicktime viewer, the video flickers (especially on the sign to the left of the screen at around 14 seconds.  On youtube, the flicker is not noticeable!  hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmYLGloghVI

• 9. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10

The fact that the video you've posted to YouTube doesn't flicker tells us a lot.

That says it's more likely the format you're output and the player that you're testing it on that's the problem.

Unfortunately, since we can't see the flicker, we also can't diagnose the problem, since we don't know if it's a flicker, a stutter, a tremble, a strobe or whatever. Hard to say without seeing it.

• 10. Re: Desperately trying to de-interlace in PRE10
                            Robert J. Johnston Level 2

If your video is from the SR-11, 1440x1080i, and you want to share to DV-AVI, you should use the "Always Deinterlace" option: right-click on the clip on the timeline, select "Field Options" from the pop-up menu, then select "Always Deinterlace." That will unsharpen the video, so you will need to add the Sharpen effect to the clip. You don't need to change the value of the Sharpen effect, which has a default value of 10. After that you can share to DV-AVI widescreen. You might want to try that workflow if you share to other lower resolution video formats.