3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 7:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

Expeditious Assistance Requested / Appreciated

digitlwzrd
      Okay folks, this one should be easy; but I am having a bear of a time with it.

Specific instructions, for Director MX, would be immensly appreciated; as I am still not completely feeling this software yet.

Issue:

I have integrated a quick time movie into my director project; but cannot get the movie to play, FF, rew, or pause when I use the control buttons that I have added to the frame.

Some brief instruction, which I received, was vague at best; and I sincerely need to know how to get this done.

Sample of the statement is as follows:

6) Next, drag your play and pause button into sprite channel 2 and 3, stretching them across the timeline for the same amount of time as our movie. Scale the buttons to an appropriate size on the stage; then right click the PLAY button and add the following LINGO.

PLAY
      on mouseUp
      set the movierate of sprite 1 = 1
      end

NOTE: This is specifying that the video in sprite channel or layer 1 will be given a movie rate of 1 which is normal playing speed. So this will start to play your movie on click.

PAUSE
      on mouseUp
      set the movierate of sprite 1 = 0
      end

NOTE: This puts the movierate to 0 which effectively pauses the movie.

IMPORTANT NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU SPECIFY THE CORRECT SPRITE CHANNEL (layer) NUMBER IN YOUR LINGO SCRIPT.

***********END STATEMENT****************

Someone, for the love of corn, please shed some light on this???

Thank you, in advance, for your valued assistance and patience.
        • 1. Re: Expeditious Assistance Requested / Appreciated
          Level 7
          Hi digitlwzrd,

I'll start from the beginning with a basic QuickTime video setup.

First, assuming you've imported the QT OK and you've placed it in sprite channel

* Make sure sprite 1 extends from frames 1 to 10. This is just for my example so I
          can refer to things easily.

* Place a 'Hold on Frame' behavior in frame 10 in the scripting channel. To do this
          you can open the Library Palette, go to the Navigation category, then click and
          drag the 'Hold on Current Frame' behavior to frame 10 in the scripting channel. You
          can write your own behavior which would do the same thing by double clicking in the
          scripting channel in frame 10 and entering the following in the Script window that
          appears:
          on exitFrame
          go the frame
          end

* Play the movie. If the QT does not play, click on the QT cast member, then open
          the Property Inspector. If the 'Paused' property is ticked, that means it is set to
          paused at start. Unticked will mean it will play it immediately. If you have the
          'Controls' property selected, that will put the QT control bar at the bottom and it
          will also mean the QT is paused at the start.

* To create a pause/play behavior for the QT, create buttons/graphics to use as
          these components and put them in sprite channels 2 and 3.

* For sprite 2, the pause button, we'll add a behavior from the Library Palette.
          Choose the category Media > QuickTime. Then click and drag the 'QuickTime Control
          Button' behavior onto sprite 2. You will then get to choose the action. Choose
          'Stop' for pause.

* For sprite 3, the play button, use the same behavior as above but select the
          action as 'Play' when you attach it.

If you were to write the video play / pause script it would be as follows:
          Pause video
          on mouseUp
          set the movieRate of sprite 1 = 0
          end

or in dot syntax
          on mouseUp
          sprite(1).movieRate = 0
          end

Play video - dot syntax
          on mouseUp
          sprite(1).movieRate = 1
          end

To play a video in reverse:
          on mouseUp
          sprite(1).movieRate = -1
          end

To play a video in fast forward:
          on mouseUp
          sprite(1).movieRate = 2
          end

Hope that clarifies things.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Expeditious Assistance Requested / Appreciated
            digitlwzrd Level 1
            Dean,

Thank you, very much, for the information. I have begun applying the steps, as outlined, and I am now seeing the results that should be expected. You are truly an asset to your trade.

Cheers!
            • 3. Re: Expeditious Assistance Requested / Appreciated
              Level 7
              Ditto on that last line

"digitlwzrd" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:ft1nbt$rpj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Dean,
              >
              > Thank you, very much, for the information. I have begun applying
              > the
              > steps, as outlined, and I am now seeing the results that should be
              > expected.
              > You are truly an asset to your trade.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >