• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web App Import turns Item Inactive?

New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I remember in the old forums there was a great answer for this question.

When you export web apps - make changes in Excel - Save as .csv - and re-import the web app items, the date fields are somehow modified to change the expiration date and then it makes all your webapp items inactive.

Does anyone remember the fix? I know it's a quick and easy fix in Excel, but I can't remember it

Thanks so much for you help!

Beth

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Found the solution:

Excel seems to change some of the cells in the Expiry Date to 01-Jan-1999 when the user corrects the .csv dates to the mm-ddd-yyyy format. Easy to miss before importing. The solution is as simple as looking for the 01-Jan-1999 entries and converting them to 01-Jan-9999 after updating the format.

In summary, when working with exported Web App data as a .csv in excel, two issues can occur when re-importing your data:

Issue 1: Excel defaults the format of the both the date fields t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is you need to make sure the "Expiry date" column format is like so - http://screencast.com/t/Nd8tEh3pnlB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Beth and Kahlic. This was a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't set a value for Expiry Date (optional), they all imported as 1-Jan-2099, yet they're still all inactive - any ideas?

---

Ugh, I just figured out why this is happening - hoping there is a fix for this, I don't want to have to manually set this for every record.

Upon import the Submitted By: value is not set, if I manually edit this and choose myself then save, the record is then active.

Can this be set in the CSV during import?

Message was edited by: wwwcre8r

---

Update: I found that by inspecting my name in the Submitted By field, I could determine my EntityID. I entered my EntityID into the CSV, deleted all existing records and re-imported.

Now all records are still marked as inactive, but upon reviewing each, my name is set properly in the Submitted By field.

Now if I simply view each record and click Update without modifying anything... it then makes the record active.

Any thoughts? This has to be a bug.

Message was edited by: wwwcre8r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you checked if the column "Enabled (enabled by default)" contains "Y" for all records?

It should allow your webapp item to be enabled even without submitting an EntityID.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

I did not, because in the WebAppItemTemplate.csv file that field says that it's optional.

Enabled (enabled by default)

Strange this happened, I came back to the application this morning to find that all of my records were now active and showing up. Not sure why that happened, did I have to wait a day? Did BC do something in the system to fix this? I'm the only admin/ developer on this project, no one else has access or would've done that for me.

I'm tempted to do another import to see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I double checked, the process is seamless, there's no waiting involved. When you import webapp items, no matter if some of them will be overwriting already existent ones or not, the only scenario in which an item is disabled is that when you have "N" under the "Enabled" column.

Not sure why this might have worked differently until now in your case, but if you come across this behaviour again, please raise a ticket.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is back, under a new BC site, same issue. I've imported > 600 records into my WebApp, and learning my prior lessons set the EntityID.

They are all INACTIVE, I'm wondering if I wait until tomorrow will they all automagically change to active like last time? I hope so... I need to launch this project on the 4th.

Thanks, William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, waiting a day did the trick, the next morning all 600+ records were active.

This is the second BC site that the issue has occured on, I would consider this a bug; I can reproduce the issue.

Thanks, William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution:

Excel seems to change some of the cells in the Expiry Date to 01-Jan-1999 when the user corrects the .csv dates to the mm-ddd-yyyy format. Easy to miss before importing. The solution is as simple as looking for the 01-Jan-1999 entries and converting them to 01-Jan-9999 after updating the format.

In summary, when working with exported Web App data as a .csv in excel, two issues can occur when re-importing your data:

Issue 1: Excel defaults the format of the both the date fields to "dd-mmm-yy". A user must change the format back to the one BC can understand: dd-mmm-yyyy. Failure to do so will result in all Web App items appearing as (disabled).

Issue 2: When user is trying to resolve Issue 1, Excel can change the default value in the Expiry Date field from 01-Jan-9999 to 01-Jan-1999. When not addressed, some Web App items may appear as (inactive). Correcting the dates before uploading solves Issue 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shout-out to:      Ryan Perez on this thread: Web App Import Bug (Comment 1.)

and this article: Troubleshooting imported Web Apps with missing items : iformat

for dittoing this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, to save yourself a lot of work you can just delete all the values in the Expiry Date column. BC will set them all to 01-Jan-9999 by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding wwwcre8r's comment that the items become active after a day - this is because Business Catalyst decides to set the Release Date field to the following day rather than the day you actually import your items.

So to avoid inactive items make sure you specify the current date as the Release date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines