3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 8:31 AM by the_wine_snob

Moving Clips One prel file to another

likemovies Level 1

How can I move a group of clips from one PrE 9 file to another? I want to create a new video, but only certain portions. Can anyone advise? Thank you, Stan

• 1. Re: Moving Clips One prel file to another
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The only way to do this, where the Clips have NOT been combined with an Export/Share, into a new, discrete AV file, is to use a Clipboard extender, such as ClipMate. That will allow you to Copy your Clips from one Project, then Open a New Project, and Paste those Clips. There might be other Clipboard extenders out there, but ClipMate gets high marks from many users.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving Clips One prel file to another
            likemovies Level 1

Thank you Bill. Is there any disadvantage to selecting the groups of clips in my current file, deleting the rest, then doing a "Save As" to create a new file? Or will I somehow be carrying over bits and pieces of my original file? Thanks, Stan

• 3. Re: Moving Clips One prel file to another
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have seen no downside to removing un-used sections of a Project, and then doing either a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy. Do NOT do a Save, when you have removed those sections, or you will overwrite your original Project file - something that you do not want to do.

I use this workflow often. An example would be when I create an intro, or outro, in a Project, and realize that it has use in other Projects. I will clean out that Project, leaving only those segments, that will likely be needed later on, and still in an editable mode. I then do a Save_As (if I want to keep that "new" Project Open, in Premiere), or a Save_As_a_Copy, if I just want it available later. For some more detail on the differences between the various Saves, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and a good point.

Hunt