12 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 10:56 AM by likemovies

Pre9 Crashes and Memory

likemovies Level 1

Hello,

I am 90% done with a video that is about 20 minutes long. It contains video and photo images. I cannot complete the project because PrE keeps crashing I believe due to memory. My machine is XP with 4GB RAM.

I took the steps recommended. All my photos have been reduced to 1000X750, then placed in a slideshow (from Organizer). I reset my virtual memory to settings 4GB and 8GB (max). I was a bit confused because I set both my C and D HDD's on these settings and I'm not sure which Windows is actually using for virtual memory.

I can only work about a minute before the system seems to overload then crashes. I'm in a bit of trouble with this and would appreciate any help. Thank you! Stan

• 1. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When PrE crashes, or hangs, I point folk to this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist for getting a computer set up for PrE, then goes into tuning up the OS and computer, and finally has many links, that are very useful for troubleshooting. I would start at the beginning, and work through the three sections of the article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
            likemovies Level 1

Thanks Bill. I'll start going through it. Any suggestions for likely culprits? Perhaps video card/drivers? Thanks, Stan

• 3. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You have already addressed two common, big problems: overly-large Still Images and Windows Virtual Memory. Those often trip up editors, but you have done the correct thing already.

The next step, for me, would be to see what other programs and services are loading before PrE, and are likely to steal resources. Some are real resource hogs, and some are mentioned in the Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine link.

I/O bottlenecks are another possibility, but usually only cause slowdowns, and less often, crashes or real hangs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the best project settings for your video you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

When you work with photos, it's also very important that render whenever you see red lines above your photos. You do this by pressing the Enter key. If you keep those red lines green, you should not have memory overloads if your photos are optimized to 1000x750 pixels in size.

You also say you have an XP computer. It could also be, if you're trying to edit HD footage or footage from a smart phone, that your computer is overwhelmed -- especially if you've got less than 20-30 gigs of free, clean, defragmented space on your C drive.

• 5. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                  likemovies Level 1

Thank you Steve. The footage is shot from a Nikon P300 HD 1280X720. I believe the format is H 264 (.mp4)? I'm sorry, as much as I try to understand video formats, I just can't seem to do it.

I've seen your advice regarding rendering and do it as much as possible. I do not see red lines above the clips. I only see the red lines (mostly) when I add transitions between clips and above still photos. However, many times when I render by using the enter key per your advice, that's when it crashes.

Per your last comment, I think my C drive could use a refragment. I also have a mostly unused D drive. I set my virtual memory to go there, but the XP window still shows the C drive also. I'm not sure if I should indicate both drives, or not. Thank you, Stan

• 6. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                    nealeh Level 5

likemovies wrote:

I do not see red lines above the clips. I only see the red lines (mostly) when I add transitions between clips and above still photos.

That's good and exactly what should happen if you have correctly matched your clips to the project settings. So the next step should be to work through the trouble-shooting links referenced earlier.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory

You're going to be challenged editing video from that camcorder on an older machine, Stan.

The camera shoots in MP4, but it does not shoot in true AVCHD. It also shoots in 1080p, a format that Premiere Elements does not work well with, even on a very fast computer.

Your best bet is to shoot your video in 720p and set up your Premiere Elements project for editing Flip HD video. (Shoot some test footage on this format and start a new project using these settings.) You should see much improved performance.

Even still, editing hi-def video on a Pentium is never going to go well. Have you at least got a dual-core processor?

• 8. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

On my XP workstation, I have my statically managed Virtual Memory (Page File), spread over C:\ and D:\, and the total size is 10GB, split pretty evenly. When I set up that machine, I tested several static sizes and placements, and found that to be the best. On my XP laptop, I found that a statically managed 10GB Page File was best on E:\.

Now, as the Rendering operation is pretty I/O intensive, I would look at your HDD's, and how you have them allocated.

What are the details of your I/O, i.e. your physical HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, free-space and how allocated for video editing? Might be something there?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                          likemovies Level 1

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice.

Steve, I looked my hard drives. I'm embarrassed to say that my C 280 GB HD which OS, programs and data reside is 91% full. I can't even defrag because it's too full. I do have a brand new 1TB that I've been meaning to install. I plan to:

Keep the existing C: for OS and programs.

Copy all data files (including video files) to the new 1 TB HD (let's call it D:)

Will this help solve my problem? Will PrE know where to find it's data, and should .prel files reside on C or D?

FYI: My PC is a Dell Optiplex 360 Core 2 Duo CPU. It usually runs PrE9 great until I had the dreaded photos.

Thanks for your help on this. Stan

• 10. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

At about 70% of capacity, a HDD begins to slow down, and its performance deteriorates, the closer to 100% one comes.

Now, if you only have one physical HDD, C:\, and add an additional HDD, D:\, I would create a folder for each of your Projects. Then, I would Move my Assets from C:\. Here, one has several choices, which I will get into in a bit. I would Move my PREL files to their respective Project folders. The Scratch Disks, with the Media Cache, Render Files, etc., can be Moved, or probably better, can be Deleted, as PrE will regenerate those - the CFA's and PEK's, when you Open the Project (be patient, until that work is done, and just watch the little "progress bar" in the lower-right of the GUI. In Edit>Preferences, set Scratch Disk to "Same as Project," which will now be on your D:\. When needed, you can hit Enter, to Render the parts of your Timeline, that will need it. I would not bother Moving those Render Files, as it might not work to reestablish the links to them, and it will only take a few moments to Render again.

Now, once you have done the Move, when you Open one of the PREL files, the links to the Assets will NOT be valid. Those links are absolute Paths, and you will have changed the drive letter, so they will be broken. PrE will ask you, "Where is file _____ ?" and present you with navigation screens, and also a Finder. Just navigate to the new folder on D:\, where the first missing Asset is, and PrE will link to it, then survey that folder, and re-link all Assets used in that Project. If you have sub-folder with the Assets, you will need to repeat for each sub-folder, but only for the first un-linked file in each. For more detail, see this ARTICLE.

For setting up Project folders, and sub-folders, this ARTICLE gives you my scheme. It is not the only way to do it, so feel free to adapt from it, to suit the way that you like to work. If you notice, I have my media files stored elsewhere, and only use Copies of them in the sub-folders. The location of your media files is a personal choice. Some keep them in sub-folders by subject, or maybe date, and just link to the ones Imported, from there. I like to keep mine separate, and just Copy them to, say the Video sub-folder below my Project's root folder. This is your choice.

Also, and before you do anything with that new D:\, there is another possible workflow - the Project Archiver. It will create a Copy of your Project, on the Destination Disk that you choose - D:\ in this case. It will gather up the Assets, and Copy them too, but depending on the folder structure, where those Assets resided, at Import, there can be some "missing files." If you use Project Archiver, make sure to test the Project, that it Copied over to D:\, to make sure that it was able to get everything, and that there are no problems with this Copy of your Project.

I would give this some thought, before you do anything. Plan how you'd like to handle it, before you Move, Copy or Delete the very first file. Also, and since you are starting with at least a half-way "clean slate," this gives you the opportunity to decide on the folder structure, that works best for you.

In the end, cleaning your Projects, your Media and your Scratch Disks off of C:\, and locating them onto D:\, will likely speed things up.

In an ideal world, one would have a C:\, with ONLY the OS, programs and possibly the Page File, or part of it. Then, they would have their Media on a separate, physical HDD. Last, they would have their Projects, and their Scratch Disks on yet a third physical HDD. If one only has 2 physical HDD's, then they would combine the latter two, onto one physical HDD.

In my folder/sub-folder scheme, above, I sacrifice some performance, by not splitting my Media and my Projects/Scratch Disks over separate HDD's, but I use the portability of my FW-800 externals, between machines, and then have a "one-touch" Delete (the Project's root folder), when I have finished. Were I not using the portability, I would split the Media to one HDD, and Projects/Scratch Disks to another. As the originals of my Media are on my NAS, what I would have on that second HDD would just be Copies, and I would use the same Project folder, as on the other HDD, for each Project. Then, I would know which Project was included, and would then have a "two-touch" Deletion - one for the Project and everything under it, and one for that Project's Media Copies.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory

Moving all of your data files, media files and Premiere Elements project files to your D drive and using your C drive only for your OS and program files is exactly what I would have recommended, Stan.

I htink you'll be amazed the difference it makes!

• 12. Re: Pre9 Crashes and Memory
                                likemovies Level 1

Thank you Bill and Steve. Bill, I have to admit I didn't understand everything you were talking about. I might have to opt for the simplest right despite having the opportunity for a clean slate right now.

Well, I'll be installing the new HDD and moving stuff around. If you never hear from me again, I blew up my computer! Stan