6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 3:08 PM by hrggroup

transfer files into InDesign

hrggroup Level 1

Anyone that can transfer Illustrator file into InDesign.  Could you please send me a private message? 

• 1. Re: transfer files into InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Transfer is ambiguous.

Do you want to include the Illustration file in an InDesign file (then choose File > Place). Do you want to edit the Illustrator file? You can't do that unless it's very simple (less than 500 anchor points). Select your area and File > Copy from Illustrator, and File > Place in InDesign. Do you want to edit text? You can only copy unformatted text from Illustrator to InDesign

As a general practice, I don't provide advice in private messages. It's better to ask publicly and get answers from different people.

• 2. Re: transfer files into InDesign
            hrggroup Level 1

Appreciate your reply.  It seems like what I should be doing.  The problem is, I have created a print job using Illustrator 10, the printer won;t accept the job unless it is in Indesign.  I have downloaded the trial version, but it won't work and gives me the error message below.  So I was looking to see if someone would be interested in doing the jobe for me, since I am not able to do this at the moment.

Cannot load the DYNAMICDOCUMENTS.RPLN plug-in. It is dependent on the TRANSPARENCY.RPLN plug-in, which failed to board. Please check documentation for the TRANSPARENCY.RPLN plug-in.

• 3. Re: transfer files into InDesign
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a PDF file from Illustrator. File > Save As > Adobe PDF.

Any printer worth his/her salt should accept a PDF file because it contains the layout and all the fonts.

You shouldn't have to place it in InDesign.

• 4. Re: transfer files into InDesign
                hrggroup Level 1

I am asked to send the Illustrator files because it is a 3 color job and all of the colors are Pantone. It is a repuatable printer. 

• 5. Re: transfer files into InDesign
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

"Illustrator"? You mean "InDesign", right?

... Even reputable printers should not be asking for native files, though. Ask them again. Perhaps you spoke earlier to someone less reputable.

• 6. Re: transfer files into InDesign
                    hrggroup Level 1

Sorry, I meant to say InDesign not Illustrator.  This is not for regular print (on paper).  It is for CD manufacturing and not the same.  Native files are required.  It is Sony.