11 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 1:47 AM by [Jongware] Branched to a new discussion.

Using fonts

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6e29a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Using fonts
          Journalism Lady

I am missing both sets of Humana, which is listed as a Mac true type font. In Font Book, it says it is installed, but it is not. When I try to check anything about Humana, it only brings up "Bookman" and says there are small problems. How do I (a) get the computer to recognize the real Humana sets and

(b) install it on CS5 InDesign (the 101 version please).

Also can Humana be installed on Word 2011? Thanks!

• 2. Re:  Using fonts
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You don't need to "install" fonts into InDesign. It will use all fonts that are in your system, *plus* ones that are in a couple of special folders (only FYI as you are clearly using regular system-wide fonts only).

> Also can Humana be installed on Word 2011? Thanks!

Uh, wot? Ask on a Microsoft site ;-) (Nah, the answer is the same.)

The appears to be something wrong with your system, since FontBook *says* it's there but you say it is not. That must be the reason FB tells you "there are small problems", I would guess.

Try removing Humana entirely from your computer -- font files and all -- and then reinstall it. If that doesn't work, you may want to google for "mac os x clear font cache".

• 3. Re:  Using fonts
              Journalism Lady Level 1

Thanks much for your reply. . . what about (if this is possible) copying the Humana fonts from CS4 over to CS5? Can that be done? If so, how . . .

• 4. Re:  Using fonts

Do you mean by that that you *can* use them with CS4? If so, create a new file in CS4, type some text in this font, call up the Find Fonts dialog and check what it says about the file location (you need to press the "More info" button to see this.)

• 5. Re:  Using fonts
                  Journalism Lady Level 1

Yes, I did this. When the CS4 doc is opened in CS5, it substitues Humana. "More Info" says

the font is missing . . .

(Obviously, I can create is CS4 with this font, but if there's an easy way to get it in CS5, I'd

like to do that.)

Thanks.

• 6. Re:  Using fonts

What I meant was that the Find Font dialog in *CS4* will tell you where it found the files.

• 7. Re:  Using fonts
                      Journalism Lady Level 1

Ah, OK. Well, this is a surprise. In CS4, when I check Find Font, I can't. Even though it

*shows* Humana, it wants to subtitute it, in CS4!

But I have used that font (and printed it) successfully. It's one of my favorites. What gives?

Should my consultant re-install the fonts to both programs?

• 8. Re:  Using fonts

I figured as much, since tou told us in the 1st post the font IN FONTBOOK is no good. "In Fontzbook" means it was installed the usual way, not "in InDesign".

> Should my consultant re-install the fonts to both programs?

No, it has nothing to do with either. Just tell him your fonts got messed up somehow. Being a consultqnt, he would know how to repair and/or re-install.

• 9. Re:  Using fonts
                          Journalism Lady Level 1

Will do! Have a book to design!

Thanks very, very much. I'm glad AppleCare directed me to you

• 10. Re:  Using fonts
                            Michael Gianino Level 4

There is one possibility not mentioned…probably because it isn't the problem you're having, but what the heck…

Within the InDesign folder that's inside the Applications folder, there is a folder labeled Fonts. If you had placed a font in the CS4 fonts folder only (i.e., not within any of the OS font folders or activated via a font utility), it wouldn't be available in CS5. This probably isn't the problem you have, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

• 11. Re:  Using fonts

Michael, that was indeed why I asked to check in CS4.

Weird that AppleCare does not care anymore as soon as InDesign gets mentioned ... JLady also mentioned that FontBook had problems with that font, and that should have given them a vital clue.