9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 1:20 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions

needles27 Level 3

Anyone have a good way to accomplish this?

I have a sequence with some Dynamic Link clips with AE.  I want to make an alt version in another sequence with different titles/graphics in the DL clips without losing my original version as well.

If I re-edit the DL clips in sequence 2, they will change in sequence 1 as well.  Is the best/only way to make a new DL clip in sequence 2 and over in AE copy over the relevant graphics from the original comp to build the alt version?

Does that make sense?

• 1. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Duplicate dynamically linked compositions in AE, give them appropriate names, make changes you want.

Replace original dynamically linked compositions in your Sequence 2 with newly built ones.

• 2. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
            needles27 Level 3

Thanks for the response and help.

I don't get the part where you replace the DL clip back in Pr.  I thought it was one way - If i have a clip in a sequence that is pointed to a comp in AE, how to I replace that DL with a different AE comp once I'm back in Pr?  I'm always really skittish with the DL workflow since I get worried that I will break the link at some point and lose my connection.

Separately, do you rename the comps in AE and/or Pr to keep them organized, or do you typically leave them as "Project Name Linked Comp xx/AE Proj" Again, I'm worried that renaming will break links.

• 3. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
              Jim_Simon Level 8

how to I replace that DL with a different AE comp once I'm back in Pr?

Right click>Replace with Clip...

• 4. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                needles27 Level 3

I'm piecing it together.  After duplicating the Comp in AE and doing my changes, I have to go to Pr>File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import After Effects Composition, then navigate and find it, import it and then do the Replace with Clip.  I was missing the step about how to get the duplicated comp back into Pr...Thank you for the help.

• 5. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                  jstrawn Adobe Employee

There is more than one way to do what you want, but the 'Replace with Clip...' method requires the fewest steps.

• 6. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                    needles27 Level 3

But I still need to get my duplicated comp from AE back into Pr, right?  How do I do a "Replace with Clip" without the import step?

• 7. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Correct.

Duplicating your original dynamically linked comps within AE simulates the first step of building Dynamic Links when you start from AE. Then you need to import those comps into PrPro.

Apart from choosing 'Replace With Clip' you may hold down Alt/Opt key and drag and drop your new comp from Project panel or Source Monitor over targeted one in the timeline.

Regard to renaming, you are free to do that.

Personally I always give Dynamically Linked comps meaning names.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                        needles27 Level 3

There are three opportunities to rename the DL comps/names - can you tell me where you do this that won't break the connection? (or will it never break after renaming in both programs)  I have been doing my own testing, but sometimes I find the DL connection hit-or-miss. 

1. After initialting DL from Pr, the AE comp will have the generic name

2. In the Project panel in Pr, the DL will have the generic name

3. In the timeline in Pr, the clip will have the generic name

Thank you again.

• 9. Re: How to?: Dynamic Link / Multiple Versions
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

For me it never breaks Dynamic Links.

What is more, those three opportunities are not three opportunities in general.

Renaming a composition within AE does not automatically rename dynamically linked asset in PrPro. That renaming has influence over particular composition name within AE project.

In PrPro you also have generic naming issue (or feature).

Renaming asset in the timeline does not automatically rename it in Project panel.

Renaming asset in Project panel does not automatically rename a clip in the timeline.