7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 12:26 AM by Mylenium

Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade

Sidney Brock

Hi fellow Photoshop users, I like others made the forced late 2011 CS4 to CS5 upgrade. Now I have seen where Adobe revised their policy about upgrading qualifications. I feel that I am warranted a free upgrade to CS6 because I was informed it was manditory at the time. Please reply back with stratgey to get Adobe to comply. I have opened support cases only to have Adobe close the cases without any reason or information. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are wasting your time. It may suck that you have been coerced into buying CS5.5, but it never said that you would get CS6 for free. You accepted that when making the purchase and consenting to the terms and conditions the ones thqat were valid back then and by ways of same, Adobe reserves the right to change upgrade policies as they see fit. In legal terms you have nothing in your hands that would prove otehrwise, no matetr how unfairly you may feel treated. Just get over it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
            jcnlv2

I am really disappointed in how Adobe handled the upgrades for the CS6 Photoshop. It is all really unfair... and I do really feel "coerced"

I was told 5 weeks or so ago that I could not upgrade from CS4 to CS6  without upgrading first to CS5.  NOT in 2011... just a few weeks ago.

I knew I wanted CS6 as I had purchased the CS4 Masters Collection a couple of years back.(for thousands of dollars)

So...in order to upgrade I purchased a legal boxed CS5 upgrade disc on Amazon for $179.  But when I tried to upgrade I it would not take because I was upgrading from a Collection. I hadn't realized  that I would need to purchase a CS5 Collection upgrade. I hardly ever used ANY of the other programs outside of Dreamweaver and I really didn't need any Dreamweaver updates for what I do. But I went ahead and bought a smaller Collection CS5 upgrade that included both Photoshop and Dreamweaver as well as a couple of other programs that I will probably never even open, for $519.00!!!

Luckily I knew a friend who was also using CS4 and he said he would buy the Photoshop CS5 upgrade from me for $150.  I wasn't happy to lose the $29 plus shipping but such is life. A week later, my friend called and said he hadn't installed the upgrade and that NOW...because of a uproar among Photoshop CS4 users, Adobe was allowing a straight CS4 to CS6 upgrade and that he would return my disc to me. :-( 

So now I have spent some $698 dollars and I still only have a trial version of CS6 and and a legal CS4>CS5 upgrade disc that nobody wants or needs anymore.

Today my CS6 Trial expired. I do like it and I want it, but I have already put out a considerable sum of money trying to get it.  I have been putting off dealing with this because it is surely a total PIA... I really feel I have been ripped-off on this.

Now it looks like I am supposed to put out another $199 to upgrade my CS5 to CS6... So ultimately I would be paying $897 to upgrade to Photoshop CS6... the ONLY program I really wanted to upgrade to begin with. (actually probably more because they will probably want me to freaking upgrade to a CS6 Collection update for another outrageous amount... )

I am surprised that Adobe would treat long time customers so poorly... as Mylenium suggest they should... and Sidney Brock says has occurred.

• 3. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another option is to join the Adobe Creative Cloud for US$50 per month and get access to the CS6 Master Collection plus everything else offered by the Cloud.

• 4. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
                pf22 Level 2

Mylenium wrote:

You are wasting your time... Just get over it.

Well, some people are sick of getting screwed over, and don't suck it up, or get over it, they just keep hammering away until they get what they want! See this thread, and specifically the last post...

CS6 Free Upgrade.JPG

• 5. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
                  jcnlv2 Level 1

<< personal attacks against another poster removed by admin >>

I'm a working photographer and I don't like getting the shaft from a company that I rely on and have supported and spent many thousands of dollars with since 1994... they shouldn't have different rules for different people, or change midstream without letting us know the option exists... instead of just going ka-ching and counting their gold.

• 6. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

pf22 wrote:

Mylenium wrote:

You are wasting your time... Just get over it.

Well, some people are sick of getting screwed over, and don't suck it up, or get over it, they just keep hammering away until they get what they want!

That's as maybe, but we know certain sure that Adobe are not going to take _any_ notice of hot air blown in this forum.  I've had as much to say on the issue as most, but at the end of the day I paid the price on the day it was released, because there is no real alternative.  To put things in perspective, I did a commercial job on that very same day that pretty much paid for the upgrade.  I've writen to NZ and Oz members of Parliament, and did get a reply from the Oz guy (Ed Husic) but it was just a 'go gettem' message.  So now  I'll move on and forget about it until CS7 comes out.

• 7. Re: Help needed to get my free CS6 upgrade
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But seriously, guys, why do you always get crazy over this? I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: You want to use Adobe software, so you have to play by their rules. If you don't want to, there's a million alternatives, but you may have to compromise in your workflows. Everything else is utterly beside the point. Nobody is forcing you.

Mylenium