4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 3:37 AM by Peter Spier

Text (Re) Threading

EssexWebbie

Hi all,

I'm struggling with something that I suspect is common knowledge, but I haven't yet found a solution by searching. I'm using CS5 and am relatively new to InDesign.

I have a bunch of threaded text frames, spread over numerous pages, that have ended up on the wrong layer. My problem is that when I cut the frames from the first page and then paste them onto the correct layer, it breaks the thread to the next page. I can find all sorts of information on how to thread frames together, but is there any way I can cut and paste frames without breaking the thread, or any way to reconnect the frames as they should be, without recreating all of the existing frames?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EssexWebbie

• 1. Re: Text (Re) Threading
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If all you have to do is move them to a new layer, don't cut and paste:

1. select items on wrong layer

2. go to Layers panel

3. Grab the colored dot (below the pen on the right side):

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 7.24.15 AM.png

4. drag the dot to the target layer:

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 7.26.49 AM.png

• 2. Re: Text (Re) Threading
            EssexWebbie Level 1

Hi Joel, that works fine and has sorted my problem out, thank you.

As a matter of interest, is there any way to 're-thread'. How would one cut a single frame out from the middle page of a twenty-page article and then reconnect the two 'ends' together. Is this possible? Or is there any other alternative to moving all of the other connected 'framelets' from page to page, and repositioning them all?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Text (Re) Threading
              Michael Gianino Level 4

EssexWebbie wrote:

How would one cut a single frame out from the middle page of a twenty-page article and then reconnect the two 'ends' together.

For just one frame, I'd do it manually, but if you wanted to reconnect many frames that had become detached, it would take a while. There could be a script that will help (there is a script to break linked frames into separate stories, but I don't know of one that will do the opposite).

Anyway, let's say you want to re-attach the third of five frames in a chain. If you were to cut the third frame from the middle of the chain, the text that was in the third frame will jump to the fourth, displacing what was in the fourth by as much room as the text occupies. If you were to paste the frame back onto the page, it will contain a copy of all of the text that was originally in the third frame. You would want to start by selecting all of the text in the pasted frame and deleting it. Next, click the out port of the second frame and click into the copy of the third. The text that had jumped to the fourth frame will jump back to the pasted copy of the third, and everything should be back the way it was. That should do it, but if for some reason it doesn't connect the third to the fourth, you can click the out port of the third and then click on the fourth, but you normally wouldn't need to do that.

• 4. Re: Text (Re) Threading
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is, indeed, a script that will thread frames. It's at Rorohiko.com...