1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 12:49 AM by Mylenium

importing *.flm.PSD filmstrip into AE v7 - help?

angelalien548 Level 1

I'm using After Effects v7 (am just beging to learn how to find my way around this site), don't even know if I'm posting in the proper forum or not, but here goes -

I've inported a ~2 second video clip from Premiere Pro v2 into Protoshop CS2 (imported as a filmstrip in *.flmroj format, but when I was doing this editing, I saved it in *.flmroj.PSD format while working on it) where I edited out unwanted objects from the scenery background in photoshop, and I'm just about ready to import this into AE so I can add characters to the senery and make them move, and after this import the finished file back to either PPro or Audition v2 for adding sound clips.

So how exactly do I import this filmstrip into AE?

How do I add the characters - they will be imported both from another filmstrip.flmroj.psd project (say, inserting the cat that was video taped back when it were alive for example) and inserting the cat as sitting behind a table and demonstrating how a new hi-tech gadget that only recently came on the market (like an ipad) works?   

I'm using this on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, specs -  a 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT, Core 2 Duo @ 2 GHz, Win XP_sp3, 4 GB RAM, 300 GB HDD @ about 75 GB used space, remaining space is free, 3 USB ports, and I have a self-powered Seagate 1 TB external hard drive 

I now have in my tech library (this is at home, in my office) Adobe After Effects v7 books that I bought recently, have leafed thru one of them but not sure where to look in them, books are After Effects v7 Classroom in a book, Creative After Effects v7 by Angie Taylor, and After Effects v7 Studio Technigues by Mark Christensen - can you guys please point me to the right place in the right book or tell me exactly what I have to do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - the cat's videos are say, on another DVD that was created by a relative that liked to play with and video tape their cat.

Also, I do not want these characters to be the cartoony kind, but the real life kind.

• 1. Re: importing *.flm.PSD filmstrip into AE v7 - help?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I know that filmstrip support existed once in AE, but it has long been removed. Still, if I remember correctly, it was export only, so what you are trying to do wouldn't work based on that format. You'd need to export an image sequence out of Premiere and then import that in AE. Also one wouldn't really involve PS - you'd do it all in AE using masks and paint tools. It may have been more difficult without Rotobrush and other fancy features of the current AE versions, but it sure wasn't impossible.

Mylenium