3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 6:09 AM by mel rico

consecutive footnotes within anchored objects

mel rico

I am working on a long indesign document with footnotes and anchored objects. The anchored objects have both text and graphics within them and some of them have footnotes as well. I’m having trouble figuring out how to make the footnotes within the anchored objects number consecutively with the rest of the footnotes within the text. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: consecutive footnotes within anchored objects
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It's not possible. Footnotes are counted per continuous story; an anchored text frame is not considered part of it.

When I NEED this, I place the footnote ... somewhere else on the page with the anchored object! You can hide the footnote marker by setting its color to [None], and type a regular superscript number inside the box. Pretty lame, and a Little Hell if your text reflows.

• 2. Re: consecutive footnotes within anchored objects
            peter minneapolis Level 4

This is a good reason to add voices to request that footnote numbers be accessible to cross-references, so that cross-references to the hidden footnotes update without manual effort.

For those who don't know, the feature request and bug report is here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

[Jongware] wrote:

It's not possible. Footnotes are counted per continuous story; an anchored text frame is not considered part of it.

When I NEED this, I place the footnote ... somewhere else on the page with the anchored object! You can hide the footnote marker by setting its color to [None], and type a regular superscript number inside the box. Pretty lame, and a Little Hell if your text reflows.

• 3. Re: consecutive footnotes within anchored objects
              mel rico Level 1

Thank you for the feedback, this is good to know. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure it out!