19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2012 4:17 AM by RjL190365

New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6

Ron-ski

I've been asked by a friend to design and build a new system, I've built plenty of systems over the years but never for video editing and animation, so over the last few days I have read up and came up with the following, hopefully it's a well balanced system with not too many compromises. It's a lot of money and I'd like to be confident I've got it pretty much right.

PC Case Carbide Series™ 400R Mid-Tower Case £76.99
      Case Fan 2 x 120mm Zalman ZM-F3 Silent Case Fan Black with Anti Vibration Pins £9.38
      Case Fan Controller Coolermaster PWM Fan Hub Wind Rider £7.50
      Power Supply Corsair CP-9020003-UK Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W Modular Power Supply (PSU) £86.99
      Heatsink & CPU Fan Corsair H100 Watercooling 2 x 120mm Fan £81.95
      Motherboard MSI X79A-GD65-8D Intel X79 Socket 2011 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard 
      Processor 6 core Intel i7-3930K 4.60GHz Pre-Built Overclocked Gaming Bundle (Sandy Bridge-E)  
      Memory 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte LV 1600MHz DDR3 1.35v 
        Motherboard, CPU and memory bundle £849.95
        Minus air cooler from above kit -£58.79
      Graphics Card Asus GeForce GTX 670 915MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI £323.98
      O/S Hard Drive Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB - Solid State Drive - CT128M4SSD2 £83.00
      Secondary Hard Drive Raid 0
      Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Intellipower SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive (WD20EARX)£80.37
      Secondary Hard Drive Raid 0 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Intellipower SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive (WD20EARX) £80.37
      Main Optical Drive Pioneer Labelflash DVD RW  DVR-219LBK £16.26
      Memory Card Reader AKASA AK-ICR-14 USB3.0 Card Reader w/ Internal USB3.0 Motherboard Header £17.99
      Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter [TL-WN881ND] £17.12
      Fire Wire Integrated 
      Sound Card Integrated THX TruStudio PRO 
      Operating System Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM Operating System, SP1 £106.44

Parts Total £1,779.50

I think I have compromised on the hard drives, they are Caviar Green, which spin at 5900rpm, but still have a 110M/Bs transfer rate, so I would have thought that would be fast enough in raid 0 (he has a 3TB drive for backing up). Hard drive prices are crazy at the moment, what seems not too long ago I paid £56 for 2TB, now most are around £100 plus, and 7200RPM 1TB drives are not much less (some are more) than what we're paying for these 2TB ones.

Hopefully the GPU & CPU are well balanced, this I think is what I'm most concerned about (getting the GPU right), I'm aware we'll need to hack the TXT file, but I'll use the app from here.

The build budget is maximum £1850, which is about $2850 (1 GBP = 1.54072 USD)

Any thoughts, suggestions, major holes in the build?

If making suggestions please bare in mind we've got to pay UK prices, and I can't go over £1850.

PS. The layout tools in this forum are 1st class.

Message was edited by: Ron-ski - spelling

• 1. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, those Greens are still overpriced for their performance, especially since you can get 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 hard drives for only a few dollars more. Besides, the Greens do not spin at 5900 RPM at all - but even slower: only 5400 RPM. Worse, the Green drives will always spin themselves down to a complete stop after just a few minutes of idle - and this behaviour cannot be changed at all whatsoever, as the drive's own hardware-based spindown will completely ignore any Windows drive spin-down settings set to longer than the drives' hardware spin-down feature. The Green drives will spin themselves down completely to a stop after just 10 minutes of idle even if your Windows drive power settings are set to never spin down - and then, the Green drives take way too long to spin themselves back up to full speed when needed for access. This makes the Green drives totally unsuitable for even RAID 0, let alone parity RAIDs. As such, they should be left as individual, non-RAID drives - or better still, best left to backups.

• 2. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
            Ron-ski Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, thats a good point I have Samsung Ecogreens in my media server, and it does annoy me when I have to wait for them to spin up. I did see the Seagates at a good price, but they only have a years warranty and I've read that some can exhibit a bad clicking noise, I'll need to investigate which models are affected. Seagate always used to be very good drives.

I can get these (2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001) for £83 each, apparently warranty has been reduced due to the floods in Thailand.

I've noticed some are ST2000DM001, whilst others are ST2000DM003, and not all mention the 7200.14, whats the difference?

• 3. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
              JEShort01 Level 4

Ron,

You build list looks really great!

1) Agree totally with RjL, get something w/ 7200rpm

2) For fast and reliable editing PCs the masses (check out PPBM5 list) seem to choose Asus (really strong for X79 now) or Gigabyte (UD5 is the only Gigabyte choice I'd use for X79) motherboards. I'd go with one of these for two reasons - first, they seem to be good and popular choices, and two, if you have issues there will be lots more folks around to help out.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Instead of a mid tower, go for a big tower.

2. Instead of the TX version PSU, go for an AX version, Gold+

3. As mentioned, forget about 'green' disks, go for Seagate Barracuda, Hitachi 7K3000 or WD Caviar Black, all 7200 RPM disks.

For the rest everything looks OK to me. Have a look at my choices up to now: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

• 5. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                  Ron-ski Level 1

Thanks for the replies so far, I have seen your planned new build Harm, it looks an impressive beast.

It's 6:30am here in UK so I'm off to work for the day, I'll see what other advice comes in through the day and will revise the build tonight and repost.

• 6. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                    Ron-ski Level 1

I've updated the build slightly, changed the PSU to the 750AX, and changed to a single 2TB Caviar Black, I think I'll leave the rest as is. I think taking in the above comments, budget and time restraints and as there doesn't appear to be any major problems I'll get the parts ordered tomorrow.

Presume the single Caviar black will be fast enough?

There seems to be a lot of problems with the Seagate drives with regards to clicking noises, so I think I'll avoid them.

TR>       

PC Case Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case £76.99
                    Case Fan 2 x 120mm Zalman ZM-F3 Silent Case Fan Black with Anti Vibration Pins £9.38
                    Case Fan Controller Coolermaster PWM Fan Hub Wind Rider £7.50
                    Power Supply 750W Corsair AX Series 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply £132.17
                    Heatsink & CPU Fan Corsair H100 Watercooling 2 x 120mm Fan £81.95
                    Heatsink Paste   
                    Motherboard MSI X79A-GD65-8D Intel X79 Socket 2011 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard 
                    Processor 6 core Intel i7-3930K 4.60GHz Pre-Built Overclocked Gaming Bundle (Sandy Bridge-E)  
                    Memory 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte LV 1600MHz DDR3 1.35v 
                      Motherboard, CPU and memory bundle £849.95
                      Minus air cooler from above kit -£58.79
                    Primary Hard Drive Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB - Solid State Drive - CT128M4SSD2 £83.00
                    Secondary Hard Drive Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX Hard Drive £147.84
                    Raid 0 with above   
                    Memory Card Reader AKASA AK-ICR-14 USB3.0 Card Reader w/ Internal USB3.0 Motherboard Header £17.99
                    Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter [TL-WN881ND] £17.12
                    Fire Wire Integrated 
                    Sound Card Integrated THX TruStudio PRO 

Parts Total £1,811.78

</

• 7. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Since I am on the verge of ordering some (24) disks, I would be interested to read some more about these clicking noises, can you give me some links to read? If that is really a problem, I better change my initial choice to Hitachi because with 24 of these clicking in tandem, the sound may be overwhelming and distracting.

With the modifications made, it all looks good. No further remarks from me at this moment. You may want some extra WD CB's in the future when budget allows..

• 8. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                        David OS

Here's a link to vimeo with what's described as a chirping sound.. Might be the same issue..

http://vimeo.com/39254219

• 9. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm I have four 2 TB disks in a  RAID 10 and recently four 500 GB (at $69 each) operating in RAID 0 of the new one year warranty disks operating with out a sound.  I am happy as can be with them

• 10. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                            Ron-ski Level 1

If you Google Seagate chirping noise it will turn up loads of results, many on the Seagate forums. I know forums usually end up being a place for complaints, rather than positive comments but as this build is for someone else I'd rather not take a chance. I've always used Samsung drives for my own builds, but at the moment there does not seem to be much choice in hard drives without getting really expensive. I did find some Hitachi drives, but they also had bad reviews, I think I may just be being over cautious, and I would take a chance if they were for myself.

In the end 2TB will be plenty for him at the moment, and when the time comes to increase storage hopefully prices and availabilty would have returned to how it was prior to the floods.

• 11. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                              czarek jb Level 1

Ron-ski wrote:

I've always used Samsung drives for my own builds, but at the moment there does not seem to be much choice in hard drives without getting really expensive.

I'm also a Samsung user. Samsung sold their HDD division to Seagate and now you can buy Samsung's best drives under new Seagate's names:

* Samsung HD103SJ F3 (1 TB / 7200rpm) = Seagate ST1000DM005 Barracuda <- Seagate just put their stickers on this Samsung drive but it's still visible as Samsung HD103SJ in PC
                              * Samsung HD204UI F4 EcoGreen (2 TB) = Seagate ST2000DL004 Barracuda Green <- probably the same situation as above.

Hope this helps.

• 12. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                Ron-ski Level 1

Well, in usual fashion I've come up with what I think is a better spec, for not much more and includes an Asus motherboard.

PC Case Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case £77.28
                                Case Fan 2 x Akasa Apache Ultra Silent Fan HDB Bearing PWM fan w/4 pin connector & Rubber Pins £18.52
                                Case Fan Controller Intergrated on motherboard
                                Power Supply 750W Corsair AX Series 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply £129.30

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel X79 Chipset 
                                Processor 6 core Intel i7-3930K 4.5GHz Pre-Built Overclocked Gaming Bundle (Sandy Bridge-E)  
                                Heatsink & CPU Fan Corsair H100 Watercooling 2 x 120mm Fan 
                                Memory 16GB Total (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600MHz  
                                  Motherboard, CPU, cooler  and memory bundle £887.72
                                Primary Hard Drive Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB - Solid State Drive - CT128M4SSD2 £85.34
                                Secondary Hard Drive Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX Hard Drive £147.84
                                Raid 0 with above   
                                Fire Wire Dynamode 4 Port (3x External + 1x Internal) 1394a Firewire 400 PCI Controller £5.15
                                Sound Card Integrated Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio 

Parts Total £1,832.94

I'm off for a weeks holiday and they want to get the parts ordered whilst I'm away, so I best email them the spec so they can get it ordered.

• 13. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Ron,

In dropping from 2 greens to a single WD Black, you really do not have enough drive "power" for Premiere Pro, and certainly not enough for a "balanced" system with the rest of your system's firepower. Suggest at least 2 WD Blacks. You will find most user's suggesting running them separately, but you could also consider a RAID 0 setup with all files on the single 2x drive array (a bit slower for renders, but easier to manage files). Having 4 drives with 2 2x RAID 0 arrays would be ideal. This is likely to upset you budget, so you may consider lesser video card.

Regards,

Jim

• 14. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Jim,

I agree in general. However, I feel that two Greens are a no-no for even RAID 0: These Greens spin themselves down to a complete stop after just 10 minutes even if the Windows power settings are set to never spin down the drives. That, in turn, causes the RAID controller (whether a software RAID or a discrete hardware RAID) to flag both of the Greens as "failed" even though the disks are still usable! In turn, this behaviour causes a rebuild that completely wipes out all data on both drives. Hence, my advice to avoid all Green drives for even RAID 0.

In addition, if the OP's budget is so strict, then maybe he should not have picked such an expensive CPU/motherboard platform to begin with. After all, what good is LGA 2011 if the OP is forced to downgrade all the way down to a GeForce GT 520 or (worse) a GeForce 210 just to accommodate a setup of even two 2TB 7200 RPM hard drives, let alone four 2TB 7200 RPM hard drives configured as two 2-disk RAID 0 arrays?

By the way, the Caviar Black is no longer the best choice as far as performance is concerned: Its platter layout has not changed at all in the over two years since it was introduced. It still uses four platters while everyone else's 2TB 7200 RPM drives use three or even two platters. This directly impacts sequential transfer speed: A single 2TB black can only do 140-ish MB/s on the outer tracks while the competition can already hit 190 MB/s on the outer tracks (these figures are for single disks).

• 15. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                      Ron-ski Level 1

You say the competition are better, but which HDD are you reffering to?

With regards to Jim's comments, I think it's far better to get the core components (read most expensive parts) correct now, and if/when needed add another hard drive, as these are relatively cheap in comparsion to the motherboard/cpu & gpu, and of course are easilly added.

• 16. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                        RjL190365 Level 4

I say the Hitachi 7K1000.D, 7K3000 and 7K4000 series as "better" than the WD Blacks simply because of their higher density platter layouts. However, WD bought Hitachi's storage division in a merger which leaves Hitachi with a small stake in the WD company. The current Hitachi Deskstar design will be the basis for most future WD-branded hard drives. At the same time, WD is spinning off certain production lines, such as the line that currently produces the WD Caviar Blue drives, to Toshiba as part of the merger between WD and Hitachi GST.

The other drive that performs significantly faster than the WD Black in terms of sequential transfer speed is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 series drives of 750GB and larger. However, I am hesitant to recommend them right now due to their higher-than-average incidence of quality control issues.

• 17. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                          Ron-ski Level 1

Hmm, no wonder there's not much availabilty and prices are high, what with the floods, Samsung selling out thier HDDs to Seagate, WD buying Hitachi HDDs storage divison, and selling part of their WD line up to Toshiba, all gets very messy by the looks of things.

• 18. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well I must add that the Seagate 7200.14 series also have gone to a one year warranty.  But despite that I have recently picked up 9 of the Seagate new 1 TB per platter drives. and am putting them to the test.  Without a doubt they are some of the fastest 7200 rpm drives I have seen. 

And so far absolutely no problems

• 19. Re: New Hex core i7 build for CS 5.5 / CS 6
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

Ron,

I was wrong about the assets WD sold to Toshiba. What was sold to Toshiba was actually one of HGST's former facilities along with the intellectual property for HGST's former 1TB/platter drives such as the 5K4000 and the 7K1000.D. And WD's own HDD lineup (the one they're keeping) has stagnated for two years now: Their own 7200 RPM hard drives currently top out at 2TB and 500GB/platter, and the only hard drives in their current lineup that are not part of the HGST line they're keeping that have capacities greater than 2TB or have denser than 500GB platters spin at only 5400 RPM (e.g. the WD Green, whose 2TB and 3TB models use 667GB and 750GB platters, respectively).

In other words, WD actually got rid of the best parts of HGST while keeping older parts of that company as well as their own now-outdated designs.