2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 5:23 PM by groove25

Bug: Is View > Slice Overlay broken?

groove25 Level 4

A user on this forum recently asked how to turn off the translucent green color that appears over slices, while still showing the slice boundaries (i.e., not making the web layer invisible). I suggested turning off the visibility of the individual slices within the web layer of the Layers panel.

However, I also noticed a View > Slice Overlay command, which seemed like it might perform the same task on all slices at once... and yet it appeared to have no effect. A similar command, View > Slice Guides, works like a charm, toggling the red slice guides on and off with ease, but Slice Overlay seems almost completely useless.

View Slice Overlay.png

Here's what I've noticed:

• Toggling View > Slice Overlay off has no effect under any circumstance.
      • Toggling View > Slice Overlay on will turn on the Web Layer's visibility—but only if it has already been turned off by another means.
      • The command has no effect on the visibility of individual slices.

So that's it. It does one thing, and it does it badly. It's already quite easy to turn the entire Web Layer on and off using the Layers panel or the "Show/Hide Slices and Hotspots" button within the Toolbar. I'd therefore expect View > Slice Overlay to affect the visibility of the translucent green color that appears over slices, while leaving the slice guides intact—basically, the inverse of View > Slice Guides.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this command? Can someone else confirm this behavior? I've observed this in Fireworks CS6 and CS5 on Mac OS 10.6.8, and in Fireworks 8 on Mac OS 10.4.11. Does it work for any Windows users?