11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 8:13 AM by peter minneapolis Branched to a new discussion.

Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file (Locked)

Cosa è?

I am evaluating for my company to switch from Framemaker to Indesign, that is much more friendly, and for many aspects, more powerful.

In FM I can place a text inside an existing frame as a link to an external file. Adobe support says that it is not possible to do the same in ID, where I can only link an entire frame with text inside.

What I wish is just like a very simple C #include statement...

Thanks for help

• 1. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not a Framemaker user, so I'm not really sure how that works and what you are doing.

In ID, you can link text to an external file using File > Place... in either an empty frame, a frame not yet in existence, or as additional text in a frame that already has text in it. By default text files are not llinked to the source and later changes will not update in the ID file, but you can change this in the application preferences under File Handling. You must set it to create links before placing if you want them, but you can switch back and forth at any time to link some stories and embed others. The downside to linking is that you lose any changes or foramtting you've made in ID when the link is updated.

• 2. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
            Cosa è? Level 1

Thanks for reply. What I wish to do is very very simple:

1) I have a frame with text inside;

2) I want to insert a link to a file (with text) in the middle of existing text

3) When I try, the text is inserted but link is not created

4) I already set "create link" flag in Preferences/file management

In other words, I can create a link only for complete, independent text frame, not for text inserted in an existing text frame.

It seems a very big limit, it seems impossible that a so easy function cannot be performed.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file

Can you do it as an anchored object? flow the linked story into a new frame, then anchor that inthe existing text?

• 4. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
                Cosa è? Level 1

I tried it, bbut anchored objects seem not able to extend for more than one column neither they can be linked to other frames.

I am not an expert, may be I am not capable?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

Cosa è? wrote:

In other words, I can create a link only for complete, independent text frame, not for text inserted in an existing text frame.

That's the way I've always understood it to be. Anchored text frames can not be part of a chain.

Cosa è? wrote:

It seems a very big limit…

I agree that it would be a nice feature, but…

Cosa è? wrote:

…it seems impossible that a so easy function cannot be performed.

…not being a programmer, I can't say from personal experience whether it would be easy, difficult or impossible.

• 6. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
                    Cosa è? Level 1

Thanks anyway. I will continue to use FrameMaker

• 7. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file

A custom anchored object can have any size and position (but text wrap can be tricky compared to an inline), so I don't think the single column limit necessarily applies, and there may also be some possibilities using the span/split column features in CS5 and later, though they require some planning ahead to work well, and they, too, have limitations. You are correct, though, that anchored objects cannot be threaded to other frames.

If you were to post a screen capture of what you want to accomplish we might be able to supply better suggestions.

• 8. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
                        Cosa è? Level 1

I think that my need is the most simple linking concept possible. I am a programmer. In a C language file (andf in most languages), I can use the  #include filename directive and the file filename is inserted in main file in that point as I directly wrote it.

I manage a lot of technical brochures that must share common parts of small text (less than one page, tipically). In this way, when I update this sub-texts, I can update all the brochures.

I attach a link to one of my brochures. The part on page 2 that I enclosed in red squares shold be the sub-text. As you can see, it starts on left column and ends in right column. The all text is thus composed of many sub-parts but I cannot use separate frames, because I dont know where each section shall start and end.

This is very easy with Framemaker but most people in my company dont like it, so I shold like to make it possible with ID, that they like .

I hope I could explain, thanks fgor help.

http://www.k100.biz/home/Example_ID.pdf

• 9. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file

OK, now I understand. The only way I can think of to do this in ID would be to make that section an independent story. You would then need to adjust the text frames manually if the surrounding text (a different text thread that would stop ahead of the linked story and start up again after it) were to change, or if there were edits to the linked story that changed its line count.

• 11. Re: Inserting text in an existing frame from an external file
                            peter minneapolis Level 4

InDesign hasn't had an exact counterpart to FrameMaker's Text Inset feature, but the Linked Content feature, new in InDesign CS5, may come close. Search Google for terms like "InDesign Linked Content" without quotes.

It's not clear, but I think that the text you're importing in FrameMaker is formatted FrameMaker content, and you want to similarly import InDesign content, rather than a plain text file. Text inset source text from a FrameMaker file must be a single text flow, "Flow: A," for example. An FM file usually has only one text flow, so importing the single flow seems the same as importing the whole file; however, FM files can also contain multiple flows, like Flow: A, Flow: B, etc., and you can choose among them and import each named flow separately.

InDesign's Articles feature may also be useful for your needs. Search Google for terms like "InDesign articles panel," without quotes.

InDesign's Smart Text Reflow feature can make adding or removing text frames as a text flow grows or shrinks, and so it may be useful when importing linked content that can vary in length. Search Google for terms like "InDesign Smart Text Reflow."

InDesign CS6's new text frame property, Auto-Size, may also be useful in managing growing or shrinking content. Search Google for terms like "InDesign CS6 auto-size."

You can download a trial copy of ID CS6 and install it without uninstalling any earlier version, whether it's a trial or full copy. The only caveat is that to before installing or reinstalling an earlier release, you need to uninstall later releases - the installers aren't designed to install versions out of sequence.

Please post any experiments and their results. They'll be useful for everyone. And, consider posting an official request for a feature that works the way you'd like it to, here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Cosa è? wrote:

I think that my need is the most simple linking concept possible. I am a programmer. In a C language file (andf in most languages), I can use the  #include filename directive and the file filename is inserted in main file in that point as I directly wrote it.

I manage a lot of technical brochures that must share common parts of small text (less than one page, tipically). In this way, when I update this sub-texts, I can update all the brochures.

I attach a link to one of my brochures. The part on page 2 that I enclosed in red squares shold be the sub-text. As you can see, it starts on left column and ends in right column. The all text is thus composed of many sub-parts but I cannot use separate frames, because I dont know where each section shall start and end.

This is very easy with Framemaker but most people in my company dont like it, so I shold like to make it possible with ID, that they like .

I hope I could explain, thanks fgor help.

http://www.k100.biz/home/Example_ID.pdf