4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 11:18 PM by FrankMac59

PP CS6 audio merged clips not displaying in timeline correctly

mattmacar

So, weird weird weird issue I'm coming across...

I just went through and logged, synced, and merged all the footage and audio from a shoot Tuesday. 5D h264 files and wav audio files. I assembled one of the scenes no problem, and went to start roughly mixing audio....now here's the fun part...

Everything was fine until I went to expand one Audio track 2, 3, or 4 so that I could see the waveform and keyframes and I noticed that the bottom half of the timeline (that audio half) didn't react at all (didn't expand). The clips/tracks "echoed" and were "misplaced" or disappeared entirely. I zoomed in and it corrected itself, showing the now expanded audio tracks, but when I clicked on one of the tracks or scrolled veritcally or horizontally, again, eitehr no reaction or scrambling effect. I tried scrolling horizontally, and the top half of the timeline scrolled normally as you would expect, but the bottom half became all distorted and useless and a couple of the tracks turned completely black. Basically, it's making it impossible for me to edit the audio and turning my timeline into a cluster f...I've tried setting up a test edit with the original h264 files with just camera audio and that doesn't pose a problem so it seems to be an issue with the merged clips. I've heard of issues with wav format in PP from before...any chance that might be part of it?

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Relaunch PP

Restart computer

Save as different project

Duplicate sequence with different name

Create new sequence and copy from original into new

Import sequence from original project into new project

Trash preferences

Reinstall PP

Reinstall Master Collection

Next thing I'm gonna try is converting all the audio to AIFF and then relinking each audio file in PP to the new AIFF files. Thoughts?

System specs

Late 2009 Macbook Pro

2.93 intel core 2 duo

8gigs ram

• 1. Re: PP CS6 audio merged clips not displaying in timeline correctly
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I've heard of issues with wav format in PP from before.

Such as?

I'm gonna try converting all the audio to AIFF

Those are the files that have had issues in the past.

• 2. Re: PP CS6 audio merged clips not displaying in timeline correctly
            mattmacar Level 1

Can't say for sure, just something in my brain is making me think I've read in some forums about people having an issue or 2 with wav. In any case, the fact that I am having such issues despite, I'd say, my very thorough troubleshooting attempts, is leading me to explore other options, even those which might have caused issues in the past, like AIFF files. I have never had any problems with them personally.

Thank you for your reply, but it didn't really help me. Do you have any ideas about what might be the issue?

Additional steps taken:

Attempt to rebuild edit with merged clips

Reinstall Graphics card drivers

Update to 6.0.1

No dice.

• 3. Re: PP CS6 audio merged clips not displaying in timeline correctly
              RBemendo Level 1

After your update to 6.0.1, have you tried to replicated the merged clips problem in a new project and sequence?  I'm working with merged clips currently and not seeing anything like your describing.  I'm running 10.7.4, CS6.0.1 on a MacPro4.1.

• 4. Re: PP CS6 audio merged clips not displaying in timeline correctly
                FrankMac59

Expanded audio has been a cause of problems for me.

I can't drag out a clip, use alt+click to move it independently, or select or razor a clip using the expanded audio but only by clicking on the video track or unexpanded audio.

This is with 6.0.1 with mixed format - HDV and AVCHD in a multicamera project.

Another little issue is that the multicamera monitor won't expand using the accent/tilde key but has to be dragged out manually which is not as it occurs in some of the video tutorials.

Given the size of the update patch to being it to 6.0.1, I think this was close to still being a beta when released.