2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 7:58 AM by the_wine_snob

What format or codec?

Bigcatt77

I took a Hi8 video and burned it to a DVD using a Panasonic DVD recorder---that is used to play DVD's on a TV.  I hit PLAY on the video tape and record on the DVD recorder.  Now I have a DVD with the content on it.  It plays back FINE on the DVD player and thru windows media player.  When I try to "Get Media" using Elements 10,  I get nothing. The DVD shows 6 scenes with an "hour glass" for each one, and the files end with ".OVI".  When I hit "get media" on the bottom right, it just locks up.

I have tried this on both of my computers with the same results.

Do I need to get a specific codec, or change the format of the dvd before trying to add into Elements?

FYI, I have had NO problems downloading any other DVD's from newer video cameras using Elements 10.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: What format or codec?
          Barbara B. Level 7

Moving to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: What format or codec?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, most DVR devices do not create 100% DVD-compliant discs, and especially the first VOB, as they use non-standard nagivation, and a rudimentary menu system. This gives NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, such as PrE problems. See this ARTICLE for more detail, and also tips on ripping those non-standard VOB's.

This will most likely not be a CODEC issue, as PrE installs the Adobe MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC, which is the standard for DVD-Video/VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - things would be best, and especially quality wise, if you were to Capture from your Hi8 tapes. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.