1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 9:39 AM by Jon-M-Spear

hue angle vs. balance angle

cfg_2451 Level 2

In PPro CS6, Three Way Color Corrector effect, the shadows, midtones, and highlights sections all have both a hue angle selection and a balance angle selection. From the cs5.5 manual:

"Highlights/Midtones/Shadows Hue Angle  Controls the hue rotation in the highlights, midtones, or shadows. The default value is 0. Negative values rotate the color wheel to the left and positive values rotate the color wheel to the right.

Highlights/Midtones/Shadows Balance Magnitude  Controls the amount of color balance correction as determined by the Balance Angle. The adjustment can be applied to highlights, midtones, and shadows.

Highlight/Midtones/Shadows Balance Gain  Adjusts brightness values by multiplication so that lighter pixels are affected more than darker pixels. The adjustment can be applied to highlights, midtones, and shadows.

Highlights/Midtones/Shadows Balance Angle  Controls the hue translation in the highlights, midtones, or shadows."

The blue color is mine, to highlight what I'm talking about here.

The manual is, well, vague. What's the differenence between "hue rotation" and "hue translation"? When do I use one, when the other?

• 1. Re: hue angle vs. balance angle
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Hue angle is a fairly crude way to equally change the overall colour cast of the entire image - whether in the highlights, midtone or shadow.  Probably useful to remove an overall cast  - such as incorrect white balance.

Used together, balance magnitude, gain and angle are more subtle way to fine tune the colour cast (angle) and the saturation (magnitude) and brightness (gain).  I use this combination when brightness and saturation are part of the CC requirements.