9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2012 7:36 AM by ksfl

Problem setting up scratch drives

ksfl

Hi

I have a 2.66mhz MB Pro with 8gb of ram. I've connected a LaCie 500gb drive, called "Film", thru FW 800. When I try to set the scratch disks for Premiere Pro I get the message

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable."

I want to use the Film drive for capture, etc.

I've checked with Disk Utility and the drive Film appears fine. It is formatted Mac OS Extended.

Any idea why this is happening?

• 1. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am Windows, but I do have a couple of saved message links that MAY help... at least it's free to read

Mac and Root User http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879931

Mac and Playback http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84287.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
            ksfl Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but my problem in this thread is not playback but setting Scratch Disks.

Tho, actually, they might help with my previous thread so thanks for posting those urls.

• 3. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives

Well, in the Windows world, Win7 permissions are sometimes "odd" and require the extra step of right clicking the program icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the pop-up options (even if the user IS using an Administrator account) which I why I posted the link to the "Root User" discussion, which seems to be the same/similar problem for Mac

• 4. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I do exactly as you are attempting to do, but on a PC. I have never had any issue with locating my Scratch Disks "Same as Project," which is on one of my FW-800 externals. In my case (the "wonderful world of Windows... NOT"), the only additional setting is that I assign a unique drive letter to each of my FW-800 externals, in the OS of each computer, as I migrate Projects between them. I run As Administrator (not just an account with Administrative rights).

That would lead me to speculate that your issue is one of Permissions, or Privileges, related to either that specific external, or set in your OS. However, I know zero about Mac's, so could not even begin to tell you what to look for, or how to troubleshoot. Still, Permissions and Privileges would be where I would start looking.

Good luck, and wish that I had more to offer, but maybe a Mac-user will drop by, and point you to every possibility.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I thought about the "Root User" discussions, but only recalled some other odd behavior, that it fixed - still, could be much more, than I remember. Thanks for posting that link.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
                    ksfl Level 1

Thanks, gents, I appreciate your ideas and efforts to help! I come from FCP so know little re PP, tho have a book on the way. Still, I bet my best chance to solve is thru forums.

I see now it works with one drive but not the other. Looking at the Info I don't see a dang thing different between 'em. I guess one option is to re-format the non-cooperating drive, but was hoping first to get some info. Luckily, that drive is pretty bare so it's not a big problem, maybe I'll wait a bit and see what posts turn up.

On another note, does the auto save save multiple versions or does it just keep saving the one?

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives

Autosave is for your project with the current name you are using... you must do a project save as to have a new name

I have never had any project problems (hope saying that does not jinx my next project!) but some people do a save as on a "periodic" basis (sometimes daily) to be sure of being able to go back to a previous project

And... some other reading about projects...

Project Folders http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

Metadata & Project Folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30

• 8. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
                        ksfl Level 1

Hey, the one-two punch: Mr Smith and Mr Hunt. Thanks for the info! I just like keeping current copies of all projects on other drives for backup for the very reasons Mr Hunt states. Perused now, will dig into those urls (and their urls) this evening.

Gentlemen!! You put a smile on my face!

ps as posted on the appropriate thread I found the answer to my jiggly playback: full-resolution playback. Simple. Like me, apparently.

• 9. Re: Problem setting up scratch drives
                          ksfl Level 1

For whatever reason, I no longer get "The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable" and have been able to assign my scratch disks. Not sure why but it now works.

ps I have a question for Mr Hunt re Auto Saving from his thread. A great thread, btw, and his suggestions for structure are very similar to my own, which are all on a peripheral drive.

Perhaps I should start a new thread but thot to ask here first.

In his thread he says,

"AutoSave (created automatically, and located via Edit>Preferences, which I leave set to “Same As Project”)*"

Maybe CS 5.0  is different. Edit>Preference does not exist for me, Premiere Pro>Preferences does, but there I can only modify the frequency and number of AutoSaves kept. Is there a place to change the location of AutoSave?

Btw, Mr Hunt, your folder structure is very similar to mine and I agree completely on having re corruption of files and also having it on a separate drive just in case my MB Pro dies.

Thank you, gentlemen, you've been great with your time and knowledge!!