14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 12:31 PM by minaf22025198

No way to export markers from PP CS6?

johnw-editor

Is there no way to export clip or timeline markers as text from Premiere Pro CS6? Is there a workaround of some sort for this critical functionality?

Long-format documentary editors use markers heavily to log scenes and make notes of significant sections of footage. This is often exported as text and imported into a logging database, sometimes into Excel or Filemaker Pro. (Just as any documentary film company who has produced anything mixing interviews with verité.)

Avid and Final Cut Pro both have this functionality -- markers are exported by color, timecode in/out, and Name + Description.

• 1. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Thanks for your post.

Currently, there's no way to export marker data from Premiere Pro CS6. You can make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

More about Premiere Pro CS6 markers: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/markers.html

johnw-editor wrote:

Avid and Final Cut Pro both have this functionality -- markers are exported by color, timecode in/out, and Name + Description.

To be fair, FCP didn't have markers that moved with ripple trims, ripple delete/extract edits, colored markers, multiple markers in a single location, or a way to export marker data until FCP 7.

I do like the implementation of Avid markers, always have.

We know we have improvements to make regarding markers, so that's why a feature request is so important.

johnw-editor wrote:

Long-format documentary editors use markers heavily to log scenes and make notes of significant sections of footage. This is often exported as text and imported into a logging database, sometimes into Excel or Filemaker Pro. (Just as any documentary film company who has produced anything mixing interviews with verité.)

I'd also like to see the ability to export marker data in Premiere Pro.

Perhaps you can get what you want done using Adobe Story and XMP metadata?

Adobe Story: http://www.adobe.com/products/story-family.html

Managing XMP Metadata in Premiere Pro: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSE2397406-3FEB-43df-868D-68EB20BBC021.ht ml

Thanks again for your post.

• 2. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
            Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi John,

You could try out Sequence Clip Reporter by Intelligent Assistance.  This is listed in the Workflow tools section of the Premiere Pro plug-ins and tools page.  I'd be interested to hear if it works for you.

Zac

• 3. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
              phkibbe Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but for those reading it for the first time (and this might seem obvious) you can always export a marked sequence from adobe into FCP and print them out from there.

• 4. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Well...not always.  Windows users can't, for instance.  And it's possible that not every PP user on a Mac will FCP installed.

So this is still something best handled with feature requests.

• 5. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                  phkibbe Level 1

Lol, thanks for clearing that up Jim. For those of you tuning in, you can't export to final cut if you don't have final cut.

• 6. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                    ƎMOTION

Hi, it seems to not work anymore. In September I was able to export my markers via XML and see them in FCP.

Now it's November and the same process via XML is not showing the markers anymore.

Anybody has the same problem?

• 7. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                      Tamerlin Level 1

Yesterday, I went through a collection of clips and added markers. For each marker, I entered a name that was a summary of each point the speaker made. Saved, closed...

And this morning?

The marker names are gone, making all that time essentially wasted.

• 8. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

That's odd. Did you file a bug report? Here you go: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 10. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                          apelike_22 Level 1

Hi there Tamerlin,

Did you ever figure out what caused this?  I've been trying to figure out a workflow for dealing with Premiere markers in a shared project setting and its pretty frustrating.  I know a lot of time has passed since your post, but my first thought when I read it was that you may not have had write access to the clips you were marking up.  We've had it happen at work where a user with read-only permission to a network drive will add clip markers to a project he has write access to.  But, since those markers are stored in clip metadata, the next time he opens that project, the markers are gone.

Best,

Jon

• 11. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                            xfaero

While we're on the subject of markers and exporting, I'm wondering if this is possible to do:

I'm working as an AE adding markers, but under a time crunch and the editor needs the footage to start editing. We have backup drives. I have the first half of the footage with markers. Is it possible that the editor works on the first half with the main drives, and I continue marking the second half of footage with the backup drives after relinking from my project folder? Is it possible that the markers would be transferred once I'm done even though the media files are different, but technically the same?

Or does anyone have a good solution other than having the editor wait for me to have it all done?

• 12. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                              apelike_22 Level 1

Hi there xfaero,

Probably missed the window on this, but I thought I'd give it a shot in case it helps on a future project.

Because of the inability to store markers in project metadata, and the unliklihood that overwriting your editor's copy of the media after you mark up your backup copy is a feasible option, here's what I'd suggest based on my own experience configuring shared Premiere project workflows:

If possible, network into your editor's computer so that you can have write access to his copy of the media as he's working with it in Premiere.  Then, either in Premiere or Prelude (I recommend the latter highly for marking up and breaking down clips), import the media and start marking away.  You'll be directly editing the clip's metadata and the changes will appear in your editor's project.  It's pretty magical!  The downside is that if he's marking up clips too, someone may end up losing work.  So communication is pretty important in this system.

If your editor is working off site, then this completely falls apart and isn't an option.

Regarding metadata in a shared project workflow, if you aren't already doing so try working with DNxHD as a codec.  DNxHD 36 looks great and is comparable (although a bit heavier) in file size to ProRes Proxy.  Premiere cannot access the metadata of this format and as such creates an XMP sidecar file, which is where your lovely clip metadata (with markers) will be stored.  Then you CAN work on your backup drives and simply pass the latest XMP files (easy to aggregate them by sorting your window by file type) to the drive that needs them.

As a side note, I've heard that DNxHD is the mezzanine codec for Adobe's video products, which makes sense because it's 1) free, 2) OS agnostic, 3) looks great, 4) has both offline and broadcast level quality options and 5) has that lovely XMP sidecar.  If you haven't done so already, it's worth considering in your workflow.  I've tried it out and noticed playback, especially during high speed scrubbing, is snappier than with ProRes (I'm working on a 12 core Mac Pro with a Quadro 4000 card btw).

Hope this is useful, and best of luck with your project!

Jon

• 13. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                                HarleyTDavis Level 2

I agree that you should use a networking scheme to continue marking.  However, if you are only marking clips anyway, why not have the other editor stay in premiere and note that they should use sequence markers until you finish working.  This is where prelude comes in handy.  You work prelude, they work premiere.  You work at the clip level, let them work at sequence level.  The way you prevent losing work when they absolutely need to mark a clip?  Dupelicates or sub clip metas.  They can mark the subs as easily as the main clips, keep it in a folder for easy use, and play around, merging copying etc, without losing any of your work.  It's a practice of common sense as well as NON-DESTRUCTIVE EDITING; you know, that old gem of keeping some original data so you can play with it all over again later, or get back to the start if something gets broken...  Don't tell me you've forgotten already?

• 14. Re: No way to export markers from PP CS6?
                                  minaf22025198

How is it possible that there is no way to view all of the markers you have in a bin? It seems very strange that you should only be able to view markers by clip or sequence. As a great logging tool, it would be nice to be able to see all of the markers you've created for an entire project, before you start creating sequences. Obviously having the ability to export them would be great too. Any advances with this?