1 2 3 Previous Next 89 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 8:05 AM by markm23099703 Go to original post
      • 40. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Aussie_leah – sorry, to hear that…

I cannot offer a solution to your problems. Maybe there is no solution…
        Without testing with your original files I cannot say, if it's possible at all to work around that bug.

I fear we have to wait for a bug fix by Adobe.
        Working with a ".0.0" version sometimes (or often) brings trouble in real world production workflows. It's not only Adobe…

Uwe

• 41. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
          k_grover152 Level 1

I just spent 4 hours on Adobe tech support for this very issue.  They told me that it is a bug and that it should be fixed in the next update.  Thier workaround was to paste your link into notepad first and then copy/paste from notepad to your InDesign document......I hope it works!

• 42. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
            fostercoburn Level 1

Pasting into Notepad did NOT work for me. Yes, I then copied from Notepad. Still includes the stupid extra characters. Have tried many, many times.

Glad that Adobe sees this as a bug. The update to fix it can't come soon enough.

While the script mentioned earlier may very well work, it is way more than I want to do to solve a bug.

• 43. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

While the script mentioned earlier may very well work, it is way more than I want to do to solve a bug.

@fostercoburn – I'm aware the script is an intermediate solution.

But if I have to fix hundreds of hyperlinks, I'd certainly try it out.

In that case to copy a link from the browser to Notepad and then on to InDesign is no solution.

See #30 in this thread:
              http://forums.adobe.com/message/4591559#4591559

Uwe

• 44. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                Mary Posner Level 3

Try using Paste Without Formatting. That worked for me. Just copied from the InDesign document, pasted without formatting into the URL field.

• 45. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@Aussie_leah – unfortunately we have to wait (and pray?) that the next bug fix round will resolve this problem.
                  Version 8.0.1 does not…

Uwe

• 46. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                    KarynRH Level 1

I use the script and it is extremely easy. It was a few clicks to install and is a few clicks to use. I'll be thrilled when they fix the bug but truly, this script leaves me in no particular hurry.

• 47. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                      Magic_monkey Level 1

Hi I tried running the script but it threw up this error:

Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 11.12.06.png

I think it's maybe beause my link is a "Share to Twitter" and includes the text for the pre-written tweet.
                      Where this link is 'breaking' is the first url character between "tweet" and "text". It should read "tweet?text" not "tweet%3Ftext".
                      This is the only character that needs reverting. I'm asuming this kind of operation is too complex for a script?

• 48. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@Magic_monkey – Too complex? Hm. I don't think so. Maybe there are other obstacles in place here… Maybe it's too long?

Can you poste the full link here?

"tweet%3Ftext" in itself is not disturbing the procedure.
                        It will translate to "tweet?text".

See the following JavaScript snippet. If you open your ExtendScriptToolkit app (ESTK) and you are running the snippet, you see the correct result in the JavaScript Console (EDIT: together with an alert):

var stringToDecode = "tweet%3Ftext";
                        var decodedString = decodeURI(stringToDecode);

$.writeln("Decoded String:"+"\t"+decodedString);
                        alert("Decoded String:"+"\t"+decodedString);

Instead of "tweet%3Ftext" you could test with the whole URL string and report back here, if it goes right or wrong.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 49. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                          Magic_monkey Level 1

I haven't used JavaScript before so I don't really know what I'm doing but I put that snippet into the ESTK and I think it worked.
                          I tried it again with the full URL

http://twitter.com/intent/tweet%3Ftext%3DJust%2520read%2520Top%252010%2520Tips%253A%2520Axe%2520unnecessary%2520%2523ITSupport%2520costs%257COne%2520solution%2520could%2520free%2520up%2520time%2520your%2520FREE%2520GUIDE%2520%2523manageITSupport%2520via%2520%2540OrangeInfoSys

and it worked again, I think.
                          Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 13.18.47.png

Thanks for taking your time to help me with this!

• 50. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@Magic_monkey – thank you for the full URL.

If I run the the full URL with the snippet and copy it from the ESTK Console to my browser it seems to work:

TwitterURLinBrowser.png

Don't know why it does not work within InDesign CS6.
                            Cannot test that right now…

Uwe

• 51. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                              aybee101 Level 1

I found Uwe Laubender's script fails if you have internal links in your indd file. I made some enhancements to the script and pulled out the undo structure since I figured I could just save the doc under a new name if I was worried about it.

I also added console messages listing the updates, and added a success message at the end to give some comfort that things worked okay.

If you have external doc reference links, this script will fail since it loses context once the externally referenced document comes up. You can look at the console messages to determine which link is the problem - I've found the script processes the links from the bottom up when you compare it to the links in the hyperlink panel.

With this script, I'm able to keep using CS6 ... I'm not so surprised a bug like this crept into InDesign CS6, what surprises me more is the product's now 6 months old and something this fundamental has still not been fixed.

//DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_2.jsx

//DESCRIPTION:Decodes all hyperlink destination URLs and names

//Uwe Laubender - enhanced by Joe Fugate

var d = app.documents[0];

var allHyperlinks = d.hyperlinks;

var totalLinks = allHyperlinks.length;

var repairedLinks = 0;

for(var n=0;n<allHyperlinks.length;n++){

if ("documentPath" in allHyperlinks[n].destination) {

var docPath = allHyperlinks[n].destination.documentPath;

var linkName = allHyperlinks[n].name;

$.writeln("Link " + n + ": " + linkName + ": URL: " + docPath + " external link");

continue;

};

if ("destinationURL" in allHyperlinks[n].destination) {

repairedLinks = repairedLinks + 1;

var linkName = allHyperlinks[n].name;

var newDestURL = decodeURI(allHyperlinks[n].destination.destinationURL);

var newDestName = decodeURI(allHyperlinks[n].destination.name);

allHyperlinks[n].destination.destinationURL = newDestURL;

try{

allHyperlinks[n].destination.name = newDestName;

}catch(e){};

$.writeln("Link " + n + ": " + linkName + ": URL: " + newDestURL + " repaired");

} else {$.writeln("Link " + n + ": " + linkName + ": Not a URL link");};

};

alert("Successfully repaired "+ repairedLinks + " URLs");

• 52. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@aybee101 – thank you for testing and enhancing the script.

Maybe the ones who have trouble using the original version of the script will try another time with the new version to get their links in order…

Uwe

• 53. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                  debschuller Level 1

Hi. I've had the exact problem. Any link with JSP? included gets changed when you add it into the "edit" panel, and won't work.

I came here looking for help, but I have no idea how to run a script on an ID file. So I tried one more thing. If you paste the url into the top part of the links panel, with the "link" name hilighted, it will work! Adds an extra step, but it worked.

They need to fix this soon!

• 54. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

… but I have no idea how to run a script on an ID file.

@debschuller – see the following blog post:

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

Both scripts presented here, in #51 the enhanced version by Joe Fugate and my original one in #2, are JavaScript (ExtendScript). All the lines should be copied to a plain text file and saved with  .jsx at the end of the file name.

What might be interesting to you as well:

http://indesignsecrets.com/javascript-for-the-absolute-beginner.php

And yes, Adobe should fix this soon.
                                    It's quite a while this bug is known…

Uwe

• 55. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                      aybee101 Level 1

@debschuller – good discovery. Yes, the hyperlink edit box above the link does indeed work properly.

It's just the hyperlink dialog box that encodes the links and in the process breaks them.

I'm amazed that Adobe has let this bug persist for as long as they have. Seems like it would be a simple fix if they would just give it a few hours of attention.

• 56. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                        debschuller Level 1

Thanks so much. I'll try it. I didn't want to take a chance since I was already halfway done with one catalog before I realized there was a problem.

• 57. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                          bigskybill Level 1

I have run into the same issue, don't pretend to have an answer for all the variables, but I do want to share a solution that is working for me.

Briefly, I need to embed hyperlinks to Google Maps from within Indesign/ePub. When I first attempted this, using hyperlinks that worked directly out of Word/Excel, etc., I, too, was getting extra characters inserted into my hyperlink in Indesign, causing the ePub link to fail. I contacted Adobe (case# 183925742). They indicated they problem was "hidden characters" within Excel, which is where I maintain my long list of Google hyperlinks. This is true--they had me cut and paste into notepad, then access Google Maps, then cut and paste back into Notepad, and then over to Indesign. To their credit, it worked.

However, I just found another, simpler solution, for what I am trying to accomplish, so here it is, and I hope it is helpful.

If I cut and past my hyperlink from Excel directly into my web browser, Google is able to "read my command line.  For example, my Excel string to find the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Depot in McBee, South Carolina is immediately below.  When I would try to paste this into Indesign/ePub, it would not properly export or link.   

Example: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=34.469167,-80.2575%20%28Seaboard%20Air%20Line%20Railroad %20Depot%20McBee%20%29

When this strink is entered into my web broswer, my web browser (Google) reads it and converts it to:

Example: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=34.469167,-80.2575+(Seaboard+Air+Line+Railroad+Depot+Mc Bee+)

This is very different than my Excel link!

I then copy and past the converted string into Indesign, in the URL command line that is DIRECTLY below the very top of the Hyperlink pop up window.  I DO NOT use a secondary pop up window for the specific "paste."  I hope that makes sense.  In short, there are of course multiple ways to enter hyperlinks, but by using the URL "command line" near the top of the main pop-up, and then pasting in the "converted" Google Maps string, all of this now works for me.  I have exported approximately 40 such links to ePub, copied my ePub to my iPad, and am able to click on the link and go directly to Google Maps.

There may be a better way--I am hardly an expert w/Indesign, but this solved a major problem, at least for me.

I hope it's of value, BF  

• 58. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                            TerreBritton Level 1

Hi, I just found a work-around. Use a url-shortener like http://ow.ly/url/shorten-url (I created mine through my hootsuite dashboard). The links do not become relative, they work in browsers and mobile and all of our piwik code remains intact!

• 59. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                              Brandon Leudke Level 1

Thanks 'Debschuller'

Yes, by using the InDesign CS6 Hyperlinks palette directly, you can edit the url, then hit enter (see screenshot image).

Brandon

Screen shot 2013-03-27 at 9.36.39 AM.png

• 60. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                mdibblee Level 1

Many thanks to gwhPoster to mitigate this horrid ID6 bug. Wasn't until a reader called to my attention that a pdf "live link" wasn't working that I realized this problem a couple of months ago. So great to have people to fix these things.

After saving this to txt file, since I'm not a java programmer, I just copied the .txt file to the scripts: Java scripts: directory in ID, changed the suffix from .txt to .jsx & it works like a charm. Thanks so much! And I did report it as a bug. a big bug.

MGKD

• 61. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                  TonyRedhead Level 2

I find it amazing that it's been almost eight months since this bug was first reported in this forum and still no fix . We use this feature everyday and if it wasn't for the fixes supplied by actual users of InDesign we would be in dire shape.

• 62. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                    mdibblee Level 1

And I didn't read anywhere that one needed to change the suffix from .txt to .jsx. At least that's what I had to do to get ID scripts to recognize it as a java script.

Martha Dibblee

dibblee@hevanet.com

• 63. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                      Guy Burns Level 1

I started a thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5256788#5256788) about a similar problem I was having, being unaware of this thread. The "$" in the link below causes InDesign to go to the wrong destination, but the link works in an exported PDF.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

• 64. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@Martha – There is a subtle, maybe too subtle hint in line one of the code that suggest a file name for the script:
                                                        Post #1 and #51 (enhanced version by Joe Fugate).

Also read anwer #14, #17, #27 or follow the links in #54.

Uwe

• 65. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                          mdibblee Level 1

Thanks, again, my programming is vintage 1990s (I'm age 72) but it was clear filename was clue, which I missed; however, I added the URL as a //comment at top of file.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 66. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                            TonyRedhead Level 2

Okay 10 months now and I was eagerly awaiting the release of InDesign CC to see if they used this opportunity to fix the bug. Alas it's not to be, if you can actually get InDesign CC to run without crashing the bug is still there

• 67. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                              mdibblee Level 1

ID  is really stupid. I went online to get the problem fix'd using a java script. Did you get that?

• 68. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@Tony – I'm speechless… :-(

Uwe

• 69. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                  mdibblee Level 1

I merely renamed the file using the javascript suffix in the javascrpt directory of ID6 & it worked. Actually I copied the file & renamed the copy, not the original. To make this work, highlight the text that's linked to the URL & click on the java script file. A lot of nonsense but it works. Otherwise, the error can be corrected in Acrobat Pro using the link tool. But when there are a lot of links this is a real pain.

• 70. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                    TonyRedhead Level 2

This is a quote from Adobe’s Senior VP and General Counsel of Digital Media David Wadhwani, “We’ve added a ton of new innovation to all our CC desktop apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

Except for fixing this infuriating problem!

• 71. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                      Alan Liddington Level 1

Just a quick note to say that I am using InDesign CC and encountered this issue with hyperlinks. This script worked perfectly and all the links are now working and this has saved me a couple hours of copying and pasting the links back in manually in Acrobat!

Thank you!!!

• 72. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                        afsdfasg Level 2

Great work Uwe! The script worked perfectly for me.

There's plenty of others reporting this bug here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4993979

I had also tried remaking the links in Acrobat. They tested fine after closing form editor, but on reopening the pdf, the encoding had changed.

InD 8.01, Acro 10.1.7, Win7/64, multiple pdf versions tried (Acro 5 and up).

• 73. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem

@afsdfasg – Wow.

If I get it right what you and the reports in your linked thread says…

The disease has spread…

to Acrobat Pro!

And: newer security updates to Acrobat Pro 9 could also be affected.

Not only Acrobat Pro X or XI.
                                                                          I have to check myself;  I'm still doing 99% of my Acrobat work in version 9.4.4.

Not in the last supported one: 9.5.5.

According to this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

the latest and final release.

Acrobat Pro 10.1.7 is also installed, but not frequently used…

For hyperlinks generated in Acrobat Pro, can you specify the exact versions the bug occurs?

It seems to me that it would be extremely important for InDesign users to know about that.

Uwe

• 74. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                            RBates1982 Level 1

My fix for problem with Adobe InDesign converting special characters in hyperlinks (e.g., hyperlinking images) does not involve any scripting or plug-ins.

I ran into the problem when trying to encode an AddThis social media sharing link that contained numerous special characters into an Interactive PDF end document such that when clicking on the link viewing the Interactive PDF online, it would crash Chrome, et al. browsers.  They worked fine when viewing the PDF from my computer, but as soon as I uploaded the PDF to my website and viewed it from a browser - no workie.

For example, InDesign would convert this:

addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pubid=

To this:

addthis.com/bookmark.php%3Fv%3D250%26pubid%3D (effectively destroying the link)

How I worked around this is I would select the image I wanted to hyperlink, and paste the desired hyperlink into the URL window in the hyperlink panel.  Then I would go to the flyout menu of the hyperlink panel and select Hyperlink Destination Options.  I would then select Edit and paste in the actual URL I wanted and select OK. In the Hyperlinks panel, I would double check the URL displaced in the selected hyperlink.  Sometimes it was correct, but sometimes when repeating this process with other hyperlinked images, it was not.  When it wasn't correct, I would click on the down arrow in the URL window in the Hyperlink panel which opens up all of the hyperlinks ID has "recorded".  I would manually find the correct hyperlink that was entered in the "select Edit" step above.  This would ensure the correct formatted hyperlink with special characters was being used.  I would then save the doc. Export to Interactive PDF, and then upload the doc to my website.  When I navigated to the website in my browser, and clicked on the hyperlinks in question, they now work perfectly given the special characters where now preserved in the coding of the hyperlink.

Done.  No java scripts.  No plugins.  I just used the features of the tool that it took me two days experimenting with.  I haven't tried this with Buttons yet, I expect it would work the exact same way.

Hope this helps save someone some time

• 75. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                              mdibblee Level 1

That's a great workaround. Seems, however, that Adobe ought to recognize this bug & send us all a new version bug-free & at no cost.

• 76. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                                RBates1982 Level 1

No kidding.  Seems like the tool is attempting to treat special characters as text it then converts into the hyperlink equivalent character (e.g., where a character space is represented as %20; an "&" is respresented as %26; equals sign "=" is represented by %3D; or whose where a "%" is represented by %25 in a hyperlink).  I use a lot of complex crazy long hyperlinks with lots of special characters for social media and mailto:liinks where I automatically populate the Subject line and Body with text.  I was just glad I didn't have to get into crazy scripting or pluggins to solve the problem.

All the best.

• 77. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                                  KarynRH Level 1

I find the script to be exceptionally easy to use. Since I usually have quite a few links, the efficiency and speed of the script is important to me; one click and I'm done. But I'm glad people are finding other workarounds.

• 78. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                                    KatTron00 Level 1

Thank you this was very helpful! I was using Window 7 and the fix worked where the others created errors.

• 79. Re: CS6 hyperlink problem
                                                                                      RBates1982 Level 1

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm a Windows 7 user as well.  For me the work around - isn't an after the fact "work around"; it's actually using the tool's features. It's what I use when I'm creating links as I'm building a document.  The previous comment (77.KarynRH) souunded like someone looking for a solution - after - a document had already been created discovering the links didn't work. I could see the applicability of a script in that regard.  I'm not a professional ID user, and I'm probably not using the most efficient workflow given I test my document as I'm building it.  Anyway, I hope it helps.