7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 2:55 AM by Henry Haliy

how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)

BCFran

how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)?

• 2. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are several ways. The easiest is to place the clip on your timeline, then click on the video's image on your Monitor panel. Then click on one of the corner handles on this image and drag it around to rotate the image.

Note that this can be a pretty intensive process, since the program will now have to re-render your entire movie. But, if you press Enter to render your timeline whenever you see a red line above the clips on your timeline (the red lines will turn green when the timeline is rendered) you'll get the best possible performance.

Of course, your actual performance is the result of the power of your computer, the model of camcorder your video is coming from and which settings you selected when you set up your project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, basically using the Fixed Effect (automatically added to all Clips) Rotation (his graphical method is easiest) will get you the Rotation, needed.

Note however, that you will now likely not be filling the video frame, which is, by definition, a horizontal rectangle - the shape of most computer monitors, and TV's. You will most likely have black bars on the sides of your video. If those are not desired, you can adjust two other Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale, and Motion>Position, to fill that horizontally rectangular Frame. Much Scaling will noticeably degrade the video, so go lightly there, and be sure to check the quality, by Rendering and playing your Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
              BCFran Level 1

Thank you Steve and Bill,

As a first go with this program, you helped me so much with these comments.

The video is not of great quality. It was shot with a point and shoot camera in a church.

It is very grainy as there was only candles, and some light, but quite dark and I was in the balcony.

The audio in this video of violin players, came out great.

It is just a nice little clip from an event I attended and I will post it on FB.

I have choices when I save for different devices.

When I use the FB uploader, it saves just for a computer using flash at a higher resolution.

When I saved this church video, I saved it as an ipad version.

• 5. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
                machaliek

Don't know of any steps that will address your concerns but I can offer this. I have the same issue when we get family videos sent to us and all I do is use a program to rotate and save the .mov file. It is pretty useful and straightforward on rotating MOV, MP4, etc, and it also keeps the original video file. It works great for me. Not a fix for your problem but a simple workaround.

• 6. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

machaliek

You began with in this 2 year old thread with

Don't know of any steps that will address your concerns.....

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

As mentioned in the body of this thread, there is no problem in rotating an image within the Premiere Elements program......

In Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded (version earlier than 11) or Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded (versions 11 and 12).

In Premiere Elements Windows, there is also the right click of the Timeline file and selection of either Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right. Not sure if that option is available in Premiere Elements Mac.

So really no need to download and install 3rd party software for the job.

But, we are pleased to learn that you have found a workaround that works for you when you need to rotate an image in Windows or Mac, independent of Premiere Elements??

ATR

• 7. Re: how do I rotate a .mov file in Premiere Elements 10 (on a mac with snow leopard)
                    Henry Haliy Level 1

I just find another method to rotate MOV files at How to Rotate MOV on Mac or Windows

After have a test, I find it does works great.

According to my practice, it also helps to rotate other video files like MP4, AVI, DV, MPG, MKV, AVCHD, MXF etc.

It can rotate video files with the same video format or rotate video as well as convert to other video formats.

It has both Mac and Windows version.

Hope it also helps for you.