5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2012 12:02 PM by John Hawkinson

What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites

gsmdesign

I upgraded my PC a few months back and I'm currently running the CS5 suites.  A few weeks ago I started having issues with the CS5 suites freezing up & in some cases even crashing on me.  I always run Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign & bridge at the same time, as I'm constantly moving between program on any given project.  What I'd like to know, is if there's an optimum setting to use in the preferences for each program, including bridge to help them run more smoothly & efficiently, without the computer or programs bogging down or crashing on me.  Below is a list of the hardware I'm running, which I've been told is more than enough to run the CS5 suites.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I'm starting to get frustrated with the performance.

Hardware & operating system:

- Windows 7 service pack 3

- EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard

- i7 960 4-Core CPU

- GeForce GTX 470 Sli graphics card

- Corsair Extreme 24 gigs ram

- 3 TB 7200 RPM hard drive

• 1. Re: What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

It would be best if you asked those questions in each of the product forum which you are inquiring about. I can move this thread to one of the forums.  Do you have a preference on which specific application you would like to begin with?

• 2. Re: What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites
            gsmdesign Level 1

Yes, please move it to the InDesign forum & I'll post another one in the Photoshop forum.  Thanks for the advice.

• 3. Re: What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

• 4. Re: What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

From the perspectiv of InDesign there is no set of preferences that is "best" other than the customizations you make for yourself to suit your won work habits. ID is still a 32-bit application and cannot use more than about 3 gigs of ram, but there are some things that will slow it down on some systems -- Live Preflight, cross-refernces and hyperlinks in documents, GREP styles, page previews in the Pages panel, Live Screen Drawing, High Quality Display performance, for example. I doubt these would present much of a problem on your system, though.

The photoshop folks will probably tell you to set your scratch disk to soomething other than the primary partition (a fast, dedicated, drive is best) and to set memory usage at 70% max. Setting the Illy scratch the same way would be a good idea, too.

• 5. Re: What is the best preference settings to use for CS5 Suites
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Generally speaking, freezing and crashing problems don't have to do with performance configuration settings, and there are fairly few such settings that affect most applications. Video editing software tends to have a bunch, but that doesn't sound like it is pertinent to you.

Indeed, your hardware sounds far more powerful than you'd need to easily avoid problems based on performance limitations.

I suspect, then, that each of the problems you are seeing is a seperate unique problem not a result of a configuration choice. It'll need to be debugged carefully with full details, and as close as you can get to a reproducible case as possible.

In InDesign, about the only settings of relevance are whether Live Screen Drawing is turned on (images resize in realtime when you adjust their bounding boxes), and whether the View > Display Performance setting is set to Typical (the default) or High Quality.

You could also experiment with disabling Live Preflight.

You mention running 4 apps at once -- when you do so, are the non-active applications performing computation, or just sitting there idle? For instance, are you executing a complex filter operation in Photoshop at the same time as exporting a PDF in InDesign, all while you are drawing patterns in Illustrator? I assume the answer is Probably Not, in which case it lends strength to the hypothesis that the performance characteristics of your machine are not at issue here.