9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:12 PM by SG...

Lenticular Printing

HOLOMEX

I need to understand how to calculate how many lenticular images I need to interlace if my printer resolution has 9600 x 2400 dpi and the lens has 200 lenses per inch? I think that I am doing a mistake using the manufacturers dpi resolution and that I should be using PPI instead?

• 1. Re: Lenticular Printing
          Lundberg02 Level 3

The printer resolution is not 9600x2400. That is the number of printer dots, resolution is probably on the order of 800 lines per inch horizontal. If anyone knew what the heck you are talking about, it might help.

• 2. Re: Lenticular Printing
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Check out the links in the other 'Lenticular' thread.  It was new to me as well, but I guess we all hate seeing stuff we don't understand, and have to look it up to see if we are missing out on some cool proccess.  It looks _really_ cool, but I have not worked out how doable it is yet.

• 3. Re: Lenticular Printing
              Lundberg02 Level 3

It's for making Crackerjack prizes.

• 4. Re: Lenticular Printing
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

LOL!   I wonder how many people here have no idea what you are talking about, or the dire consequences of dropping a cabbage! 

• 5. Re: Lenticular Printing
                  Herr Wolfenstein

Do not confuse DPI (Dot per Inch) with PPI (Pixel per Inch). The first is the number of ink dots and it is used to product a higher gamut, the number of colors that can be produced by the printer in a single pixel.

PPI is the actual native resolution and you should use this value instead.

The native resolution of a printer is an information not easy to gather.

Based on my current experience:

All Canon printers (home or professional) have a native resolution of 600PPI.

All Epson printers (home or professional) have a native resolution of 720PPI and they are used by many "3D photographers beause they can give you a 20% bit more depth.

All HP printers (home or professional) have a native resolution of 600PPI even if they state it is 1200PPI.

These information come from experiments that I made myself and and confirmed by technicians at latest Drupa fair.

I doubt you can go other 720PPI printing on paper, even if you use high quality paper.

There are printers that can produce higher resolution printing on plastic.

Another thing... Keep in mind that when you buy lenticular lenses they are never 40LPI, 60LPI etc.: they can be 40.040LPI or 59.095LPI and this little deviation makes a big difference in the final print. You need to figure out the exact value yourself (called mechanical pitch test) and use a software that keeps this exact value into account when generate the interlaced image.

Hope this helps :-)

Giovanni

www.framedlives.com/3d.html

• 6. Re: Lenticular Printing
                    HOLOMEX Level 1

Hi,

Is this the right email in order to get in touch with you?

Best regards,

Dan Lieberman

• 7. Re: Lenticular Printing
                      Herr Wolfenstein Level 1

You can write on this forum or you can contact me directly here if you need:

http://www.framedlives.com/contact.html

Writing on the forum might be better as it could help other members too :-)

Cheers,

Giovanni

• 8. Re: Lenticular Printing
                        top2012

Hi,there is a lenticular printing tutorials website. They use Photoshop and PSDto3D software . In that article, you will know how to calculate the DPI and other tips.

Please check at http://www.3d-leader.com/lenticular_printing_tutorials.html

• 9. Re: Lenticular Printing
                          SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Dan,

You might also want to check out Russell Brown's resources for Lenticular printing via Ps 3D (http://www.russellbrown.com/3D.html). It is written with Ps CS4 in mind, so things will likely be differnt, but hopefully still applicable fo some of the lens information.

regards,

steve