4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 5:00 AM by R4yMoNd

Video Editing Build & Scratch Disk Question

estellahavisham1

Hello all!  I am putting together a new PC for video editing and would appreciate some feedback on this selection:

Asus P9x79 PRO, LGA2011

Intel i7-3930K Six-Core

64GB (8 x 8GB) G Skill Ripjaws Z PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (10-10-10-30) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 1058MHz, 2GB GDDR5 6208MHz, PCIe x16 SLI

Windows 7 Professional

Scratch: ?

Input: Seagate 3TB Barracuda, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 64MB cache

Output: Seagate 3TB Barracuda, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 64MB cache

I'm confused what hard drive to buy for a scratch disk.  Some sites suggest a 2nd SSD but this forum seems to advise against that. What is a good hard disk to use for the scratch files when editing HD video in PPro? I'd prefer to just get another 3TB and use that for scratch but it seems like smaller is better in this case?  Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Video Editing Build & Scratch Disk Question
          R4yMoNd

looking at your setup, seems like budget is not a problem for you..

For me the ideal hard drive for scratch this would be 1TB 7200 RPM

and you might want to consider RAID Hard drive instead of using Single 3TB drive. for your input.

128 SSD (Operating System)

1 TB 7200 (Scratch Disk)

2TB x 2 (Project Files, Input, etc) - Set in RAID 0

1 TB x 1 (Data, Back Up, Etc)

2 TB x 1 (Output)

Thats Plenty of space... it depend on how long duration of each project files..

based on my opinion:

- Your Input HDD will contain long duration and lot of rushes, footage, etc. and you need speed to access the data inside this is where you can gain the benefit of set the disk in RAID 0, however you need to keep both disk together or it will not be accesible

- Scratch Disk will be just temporary, but its good to have ample space of disk, but not too much

- Export Disk for your output will be sufficient with only 1TB. but no harm with 2TB

Don't forget to make sure your System get enough juice. I Recommend 800Watt or more Power Supply (reliable one)

Good Casing with good air ventilation

HSF or water colling system for your CPU

• 2. Re: Video Editing Build & Scratch Disk Question
            estellahavisham1 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Raymond!  For budget I am hoping to stay within $4-5K for PC + monitors.  I will take your advice and change my hard disk selection.  I was thinking 650 watt power supply but you think I should go bigger?  Is this a reliable one?

CORSAIR Gold AX850  850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

• 4. Re: Video Editing Build & Scratch Disk Question
              R4yMoNd Level 1

yeah that PSU good to power up your system..