10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 2:28 PM by plasticAnimal

DNG Conversion Fails

plasticAnimal Level 1

I have the most current version of the DNG Converter installed on my Win7 x64 system.

When I try to convert 16bit TIF files created by my scanner I receive the infamous 'There Was An Error Parsing The File' and none of the files are converted.

Does the DNG Converter not support TIF files ?

DNG_Converter-Settings-1.jpg

• 1. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG converter has been designed to convert raw files from supported cameras. As far as I know, it will not convert tiff files to DNG. That was not the intent of the developers. The DNG converter will convert older DNG files to the new compressed format that was introduced recently. But that is the extent of what can be converted.

The intent of the DNG converter is to put the raw image data into a common container file. A tiff image does not contain raw image data.

• 2. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
            MikeKPhoto Level 2

While the DNG converter will not work on TIFF's created from a scanner Adobe Camera RAW via Bridge will. I put my scans in a folder, navigate to that folder in Bridge, select the TIFF's I want to convert, right click and select in ACR then make any adjustments, if any, that hit the Save button on the bottom left. Rename your files and destination folder as needed and bingo you now have DNG's

Added Note: Some of my hi res scans get pretty big (some as high as 600 MB) and while you can select and save multiple DNG's too many can put a strain on ACR 7.1 so I have learned to do two or three at a time depending on size. Suspect that ACR was not really designed for this use

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mike

• 3. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
              Level 5

Mike, mind if I inquire as to what the purpose of converting TIFFs to DNGs is?

My practice is to convert all my scanned TIFFs (and I generate a daily stream of those) to PSDs and keep the original TIFFs as untouched, locked negatives.

Just wondering…

• 4. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                MikeKPhoto Level 2

Normally my workflow is the same as yours, but tried this out of curiosity testing the Save Image feature in ACR. I have become quite attached to ACR7.1 and the 2012 process and get pretty good results with my scans. I use the save feature just to get the changes made in one sitting. Then go into Photoshop later for the final touches.

I have been using the DNG format recently for digital camera captures when I started using Passport Checker to create custom profiles. With some of my commercial work lighting conditions can be all over the place so for each session I create a profile. Passport only supports DNG so it was easier in my mind to import from Bridge and save the images in DNG format - then just drag the reference shot to the application.

Wish the PSB format was supported in ACR would save the time converting later in Photoshop. Scans from 8x10 and 11x14 negatives get large in a hurry

So after a lot of waffling I guess I am saying that I am not tied to DNG for my scans, but the OP wanted DNG format and using ACR is a way to get what was needed.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Mike

• 5. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                  Level 5

Thanks for elaborating, Mike.

I have no problems opening TIFFs and even PSDs in Camera Raw, that's why I couldn't cannot see a reason to convert them to DNGs first.  That's why I was wondering.

• 6. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                    Level 5

MikeKPhoto wrote:

…So after a lot of waffling I guess I am saying that I am not tied to DNG for my scans, but the OP wanted DNG format…

I understand that.  I just felt more inclined to ask for an elaboration from someone going by MikeKPhoto than a forum user going by "plasticAnimal". 

• 7. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                      plasticAnimal Level 1

Right, I couldn't possibly have anything to add.

• 8. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                        plasticAnimal Level 1

Actually, my version of Bridge CS6 refuses to use Camera Raw at all, so while this method would work IF I had the latest version of Photoshop CS6 also, I can't use it either until I also upgrade Photoshop. Since the Bridge which comes with InDesign CS6 is useless for this purpose.

• 9. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                          Level 5

plasticAnimal wrote:

Actually, my version of Bridge CS6 refuses to use Camera Raw at all, so while this method would work IF I had the latest version of Photoshop CS6 also, I can't use it either until I also upgrade Photoshop. Since the Bridge which comes with InDesign CS6 is useless for this purpose.

You should be able to install the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in in a way that Bridge can use it—unless that feature has been disabled in the InDesign version.

My version of InDesign is too old to have come with Bridge, but I do keep the latest versions of Photoshop from 7.0.1 through 13 ("CS6"), and Bridge CS6 works very well with my InDesign version 2.0.2 (pre CS).

• 10. Re: DNG Conversion Fails
                            plasticAnimal Level 1

Should and can are two different things.

I don't need to know how it might work when it is designed NOT to work.