• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mercury Graphics Engine, Mercury Playback Engine

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused by the required graphics hardware needed to support GPU processing by Adobe Photoshop & Premier CS-6.

Photoshop CS6: "Mercury Graphics Engine" (MGE):

My understanding is that ALL MGE functions are supported by both NVIDIA (CUDA) and AMD (OpenCL).

If this is true, then which of these cards (gaming is not a concern) would give the best PS6 performance:

NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti 448 (? 1.2GB, not clear on this) ($270)

AMD Radeon HD 6870 2GB ($220)

AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB ($160)

Premier Pro CS6: "Mercury Playback Engine" (MPE):

MPE is even more confusing. Here it seems that CUDA and OpenCL do not both offer the same support.

It seems that AMD OpenCL will NOT support these MPE effects:

Fast Blur effect

Gaussion Blur effect

Directional Blur effect

Basic 3D effect

However, I am not, in general, interested in 'special effects' on my underwater nature videos!

I do now use PP4, but only do color correction, occasional sharpening or blurring, and a lot of cross-fade/cut-through-black transitions. So would MPE speed up any of these processes?

If NVIDIA chips are the only ones which support full MPE playback, does the GTX 560 do so? Looking on adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.edu.html) the GTX 470, 570, 580 are listed as compatible - GTX 560 is not mentioned.

Finally, what about AMD CrossFireX and Nvidia's SLI?

Do CrossFireX and SLI both support all functions of MGE and MPE?

That is, if one uses two identical (to be safe) graphics cards, will MGE & MPE both be able to take advantage of all of the GPUs?

Long and complicated post, I know - but Thanks for any help!

Incidentally, since I think it clear what my needs are (Modest budget Image and Video processing - not gaming) do any of you have other suggestions for a cost effective configuration giving the most bang-for-the-buck. I will not be building this system until W8 is out and stable with CS6.

Again, thank you for any help with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are better off posting your Photoshop inquiries in the Photoshop forum and your Premeire questions in the Premiere forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If NVIDIA chips are the only ones which support full MPE playback, does the GTX 560 do so? Looking on adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.edu.htm l) the GTX 470, 570, 580 are listed as compatible - GTX 560 is not mentioned.

What's not listed is not supported, it's as simple as that.

Do CrossFireX and SLI both support all functions of MGE and MPE?

Crossfire and SLI are just methods to connect multiple cards in addition to your PCI lanes. Connecting the wrong two cards doesn't make any of this work. Same rules apply: What's not listed is not supported.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines