3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2012 6:38 PM by the_wine_snob

PE8 "free" smartsound use in PE10

taxmichael

The Smartsound clips (free) in my PE8 videos are not recognized by PE10.  Is there a way to get the “free” Smartsound from PE8 into PE10 or do I have to start all over again with a new Smartsound clip in my existing projects?  Then what happens if I use the “free” smartsound in PE10 if I upgrade in the future?  This was a total surprise that I was not prepared for.  What would have happened if I purchased smartsound in PE8?  Can someone shed some light on this specific subject so I know what to expect in the future?  Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: PE8 "free" smartsound use in PE10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you outputting your audio files from SmartSound? If so, they then become WAV files, which Premiere Elements will definitly recognize.

• 2. Re: PE8 "free" smartsound use in PE10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say that they are not recognized, can you be more specific?

Historically, the SmartSound Music files (.SDS) were included with the installation of the SmartSound QuickTracks plug-in. As of about PrE 10 (maybe PrE 9?), SmartSound went with the Sonicfire Pro plug-in, in its ExpressTracks version - the free version. Both QuickTracks and Sonicfire Pro ExpressTracks use the .SDS Music files.

Now, SmartSound, both the older QuickTracks and the newer Sonicfire Pro ExpressTracks use the same Music files (those .SDS files), but each accesses those via the SmartSound Library files (.BLK and .BLX). Those Library files are necessary, to use the .SDS Music files.o

There can be two locations for the various SmartSound files. Those locations can be set in Tools>Options>Folders of your version of SmartSound. As a for instance, I have my main SmartSound files in the default (and where they really need to be located) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SmartSound Software Inc., and then my .SDS Music files are located on an external FW-800 HDD. Those settings are set in Tools>Options>Folders.

I do not have the PrE version of Sonicfire Pro ExpressTracks installed, but have the older SmartSound QuickTracks, and Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition (the non-plug-in US $150 program), so there might be some differences, that I just cannot check out. However, let's see if I can still help you get those .SDS files recognized. First, Open Sonicfire Pro ExpressTracks (should still be the New Icon from the Project Panel), and go to Tools>Update. That will download the newest Library files. [SmartSound can be used in several ways: one is with music that is on your computer, and is owned by you, but depending on how you set Maestro, it can also look in the entire SmartSound Library, so if you needed a particular piece of music, you could sample it, and then buy it from SmartSound. Those updated Library files allow you to see and demo almost everything, that SmartSound has.] When updated, go to Tools>Options, and go to the Folders Tab. What are the folders that appear?

Now, and this is where I am guessing a bit, based on other SmartSound programs.

• Under Tools, do you get "Rebuild SmartSound Database," as an option? If so, first click that and give the program a few minutes to complete.
            • Do you have a Migration Tab? If so, to to it, and choose Search Hard Drives. This might take several minutes, but just be patient.

If those are not available, or if they do not get your older .SDS files linked up properly in PrE 10, we will need to do some work in Windows Explorer. First, go to the older version of SmartSound, and Tools>Options>Folders, and copy down the exact Paths of the main program and Library files, then, if different, the full Path of the Music files.

Do the same for the newer version of SmartSound, and copy the exact Path for the folder(s).

1. Note: within those folder Paths, there are sub-folders, and you will want to note those, as well. Now, this next step is probably easiest with two instances of Windows Explorer open, so you can see exactly where you're coming from, and where you're going.
            2. Go to the location of the older version of SmartSound, and open up the Encoders sub-folder, where you will see several .BLK, or .BLX files.
            3. Copy (do not Move) those to the Encoders folder in the location of newer version of SmartSound.
            4. Go to the Libraries sub-folder of the older version, and Copy over those files (mostly .BLX) to the corresponding sub-folder in the new version.
            5. Depending on the location of the Sound Files, Copy from the older version to the newer version.
            6. Launch the new version, and give the program a few minutes to find everything.
            7. Test

Hope that helps you. I have used similar (Migration, if available, is the easiest way), and have the original sound files, plus their Libraries, from about 3 older versions of Pinnacle Studio, several versions of PrE, and then the many thousands of SmartSound Music files from the discs, that I have bought over the last decade.

Note: many of the newer Multi-Track discs, cannot be opened/accessed by older versions of QuickTracks - only Sonicfire Pro, either the plug-in, or the stand-alone, can access those. Older Multi-Track discs CAN be accessed from older versions of QuickTracks. The date of production of the Multi-Track disc will determine whether it will work in older versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE8 "free" smartsound use in PE10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I had not considered that. If so, and depending on the settings for file naming, set in SmartSound, the WAV files should have "SmartSound" in the file name, so a Search of those, should be fairly easy.

Thanks for pointing out that possibility.

Hunt