3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 3:41 PM by Colin Grigson

Benchmark & 'Burn In' tools

Colin Grigson

Hi Harm,

Thanks for all your advice on these pages.

I currently have a PC being built based a lot on your advice. (P9x79 Pro with 3960x) 

I've bookmarked lots of links provided re SSD setup and Windows 7 install and optimisation.

Can you let me know what are the best tools I should use once my OS is installed and stable?  Specifically disk i/o testing, temperature tests (idle and under load), fresh RAM tests/burn in etc.

Basically all the tests I should be doing before I submitting to ppbm6.com

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Benchmark & 'Burn In' tools
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin,

Have a look at http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Also Google for 'burn in test software' and you will find a lot of alternatives.

• 2. Re: Benchmark & 'Burn In' tools
            JEShort01 Level 4

Colin,

Several suggestions...

1) Run HD Tune Pro read benchmark for all drives/arrays and write benchmark for all drives/arrays except the boot drive; the write test is destructive and is only allowed on drives that have not been formatted (settings: 2MB block size, partial test, accuracy slider to full). This is useful for two reasons - providing benchmark results for your drive performace and also to flush out any drives that have issues (waterflow data throughput plots will have sharp spikes down for sections of either read or write test, or if it's really bad the test will not complete).

2) Run PPBM5 and compare your system with similar systems. You can certainly run PPBM6 too, but it does not have the rich database (800+) of systems to compare with your own yet.

3) Run a temperature monitoring tool (I like HWMonitorPro) to make sure your CPU cooling is working properly. While those of us that overclock (I do) use this to help determine how hard to push our clock speed and voltages, all others should at least run this once to make sure that when loaded up the CPU is not getting to hot. My suggestion would be to have sufficient cooling so that no core exceeds 75 deg. C when running PPBM5.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Benchmark & 'Burn In' tools
              Colin Grigson Level 1

Awesome - thanks Jim & Harm - much appreciated!