6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 11:04 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

shape layers in CS6

ctakah27 Level 1

1.jpg2.jpg

• 1. Re: shape layers in CS6
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Could you elaborate on what it is that annoys you?

• 2. Re: shape layers in CS6
            ctakah27 Level 1

When I'm looking at a file with 20 shape layers (that are different shapes), in CS5 as you can see, I can see the actual shape and its location on the canvas in the layers palette – notice the prolonged bar in the lower middle (circled on the left image). On the right image, same file is opened in CS6 and just by looking at the layers palette I can barely see the color – no shape or location relative to layer bounds like in cs5. Makes sense?

• 3. Re: shape layers in CS6
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You might want to post a Feature Request (if one does not exist already) to the effect that the Thumbnail Contents settings should be honored by Shape Layers over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

• 4. Re: shape layers in CS6
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yes in CS6 Adobe made major changes to shape layers how you can stroke,  fill and combind them. Additionaly they made changes on how they are dispayed in the Layers palette. They removed showing the layers shaped vector mask made the layers palette layer comtent larger in size to show the shape and marked it with a shape layer icon.  I think many may have feelings like yours about some of the changes made. I do not think Adobe will change back even if you make a feature request asking to change back or make the old way an option.

• 5. Re: shape layers in CS6
                  ctakah27 Level 1

I guess it's not the end of the world but I do sometimes come across files that have loads of shape layers like tiny icons on a web page: arrows, buttons, dividers etc and it's nice to be able to see what is what in the palette and it looks like they try to reflect the shape – the layers above and below the circled one on the picture show rectangles, which is what the shapes are, but the circled one is a long box and it shows it as a square. Weird.

• 6. Re: shape layers in CS6
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I do not think Adobe will change back even if you make a feature request asking to change back or make the old way an option.

I suspect you may be right, but as I would consider the new appearance less informative than the previous one (»worse« might be another way of putting it) a Feature Request might get some consideration for future versions hopefully.