21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 7:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Effects on Freeze Frames

Lsimonsen

I ended my movie with a freeze frame of the very last frame with a title, however, when I add the same effects (AutoTone & Vibrance and Image Control) from the orginal frame to the freeze frame, the ff looks much different! I copied and pasted the attributes so it should look exactly the same. I double checked the numbers and they're the same but they look way different. I take it effects don't work that well on freeze frames? I guess I could make the effects much different so that it looks like it was intentional.

• 1. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Exactly how did you create that Freeze Frame? Did you do a Frame Capture of the last Video Frame on that Clip, and then drag that to the Timeline?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And don't forget to render any clip or still you add effects to (press Enter) so that you can get a better view of what your final video will look like!

• 3. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
              Lsimonsen Level 1

I froze the last frame of the clip by clicking on the camera icon, that automatically places it in the timeline. And yes it's been rendered.

• 4. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames

And what are you seeing or not seeing after you render your timeline? Please be specific. Just saying that it looks different doesn't give us much to work with.

• 5. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                  Lsimonsen Level 1

All of the colors are much brighter than I made the original.

Lara Simonsen

lsimonsen@ukcdogs.com

"Like" us on Facebook

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and all attachments are confidential.

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.

If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify

the sender by replying to this transmission and then delete the message.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I replied to this post, as you might want to make a change to your Reply # 5, and if I reply to that, you will loose the capability to edit it. Because these are public forums, there are spam'bots that crawl around, just looking for POP account data. I would not put any POP (or other personal info) in posts here, just to keep those spam'bots at bay.

Now, what you describe, should be easy to see if you post two screen-shots, one with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) on the last Frame of the Clip, and then the next with the CTI on the Freeze Frame. That should show everyone the differences between the two Frames.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                      Lsimonsen Level 1

Will do

Lara Simonsen

lsimonsen@ukcdogs.com

"Like" us on Facebook

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and all attachments are confidential.

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.

If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify

the sender by replying to this transmission and then delete the message.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames

Did you make your freeze frame AFTER you applied your vibrance effect to your video? If so, you're applying it twice.

When you right-click on your video and select Properties, do you see exactly the same properties listed with exactly the same settings as when you do the same thing with the freeze frame?

• 9. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                          Lsimonsen Level 1

No I applied the effects after I made the freeze frame and I did double check to make sure they're not there twice. As stated in my orginal post "I double checked the numbers and they're the same".

• 12. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                            Lsimonsen Level 1

It is hard to see the difference in these screen shots but I circled the gentleman's arm and you can definitely see the freeze frame (second shot) has an oranger look to it. Everything looks more vibrant than the orginal. It does seem like the effect is applied twice but it's not.

• 13. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                              Lsimonsen Level 1

Also, the logo on the botttom right corner should be at 50% opacity but it appears to be at 100% The frame before the 1st screen shot looks like 50% and then it changes even though the values stay the same.

• 14. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                Lsimonsen Level 1

3,01,07.jpg

Here you can see that the logo looks and says 50% opacity

• 15. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                  Lsimonsen Level 1

3,01,08.jpg

As you can see, same properties but the logo looks like 100%

• 16. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                    Lsimonsen Level 1

This is so strange, even when I turn the effects off on both the regular clip and the freeze frame, they still look different! I guess from now on I'll only use freeze frames on shots with good lighting. Rediculous! 

• 17. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the screen-caps. Yes, there is a difference. Just take a look at a composite of your screen-caps 01 and 02, with the Blending Mode of 02 (dragged in as a separate Layer) set to Difference:

Color_01+02.png

Ignore the "Color 01" and "Color 02" Text, as I just added those to help me tell which screen-cap I was working with.

I am at a loss, as to what would cause this difference, beyond what we have already looked into: an Effect being applied to one, but not the other, an Effect being applied twice, Opacity (Fixed Effect) being different, etc.

Now, one last question please: when you did your capture of the last Frame of the Video, to be used as the Freeze Frame, did you do that with JPEG? IIRC, one has the choice of TIFF and BMP also. As a test, I would try TIFF, just to rule out any issues with the JPEG processing and compression. I am not a fan of JPEG, so seldom use it, unless I am forced to. I like TIFF, or Photoshop/s native PSD far better. I doubt that you will see much difference with the TIFF, but it's worth a look.

One thing that might help "smooth" things out a bit, would be to add a Cross-Dissolve, to "ease" the viewer into that Freeze Frame, but that does not answer why we are seeing, what we are seeing, and how to correct THAT.

Wish that I had more, but maybe others will spot something, that I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] While there is a Freeze Frame (Frame Hold) feature, I do exactly, as you have, with the only exception being the TIFF vs JPEG, as it offers me more control.

• 18. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                        Lsimonsen Level 1

It is a BMP. I tried applying the effects before creating the freeze frame and that actually worked so I'll just be sure to stick to that method.

• 19. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, and thank you for reporting. That blows my "JPEG" theory then, as BMP is just raw pixel data, with no compression.

I will try to remember this post, and what you did to get things working, for the future.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                            nealeh Level 5

Lsimonsen wrote:

I tried applying the effects before creating the freeze frame and that actually worked

I think there may be a more generic issue with this.

Yesterday I imported a VHS purely for direct burning to an Autoplay DVD. No effects, no transitions, just some scene markers.

There was a scene with some tape noise. As it happens the frames before, through, and after the noise were identical (it being a still image in the opening sequence). I created a freeze frame, unlinked audio and video, and replaced the corrupted frames with it.

During playback it is noticeable that there is a slight darkening on the replaced frames. This can only have happened during the PRE rendering process. Annoying nonetheless.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 21. Re: Effects on Freeze Frames
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting observation, and something that I will investigate. I had not noticed such in the past, but maybe I either had material, where the problem skipped my notice, or perhaps there were other factors at play?

I do Frame Capture to a Still, most often when creating DVD Menu effects in Encore, so they are not the same workflow that you guys are describing. Time to test.

Thanks,

Hunt