4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 11:10 AM by L Welch

Trapping Options

L Welch Level 1

Have a PDF that will not register well, have tried setting trap different, just won't work. Please look at

http://frontlinebuses.com/images/splash/1-8.pdf  

Bottom of  Page 3, note the type is reversed and doesn't line up perfect vertically on the PDF on web, but prints slightly out of register horizontally matter what I do. There's white on one side of some letters no matter. How should I set trapping for this?

Thanks  Lamar

• 1. Re: Trapping Options
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First off, that whole ad seems to be a jpeg, so I don't think there really is anything there to trap. What you see in the print may jst be the ant-aliasing of the type.

How are you printing?

• 2. Re: Trapping Options
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

Peter noted that you're applying trap to a jpeg image which is ignored by ID trapping.

Below is a visual of your image and type set inline with your ad.

Note the spread on the right window, cyan plate.

Trapped seps.JPG

• 3. Re: Trapping Options
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you making the PDF. Trapping isn't applied when you export a PDF.

It is possible to make a trapped composite PDF if you save a postscript file with the Output>Color set to In-Rip Separations and make the PDF from Distiller.

Screen shot 2012-06-04 at 9.18.18 PM.png

You can trap images internally but it's not the default, so you need to open the Trap panel and check Trap Images Internally:

Screen shot 2012-06-04 at 9.18.40 PM.png

The trap will likely be pretty ragged with a jpeg because of the compression artifacts, but with 100% cyan on black only you'll need it. You could also open the placed jpeg in Photoshop and trap it there via Image>Trap... I'm guessing the results will be better out of PS, this is a 2 pixel trap:

Screen shot 2012-06-04 at 9.27.29 PM.png

• 4. Re: Trapping Options
                L Welch Level 1

Thanks to all,  this is a PDF sent to us by customer, we have no control over it.

Guess we're stuck with what we get.

As to how we're printing, it's a round-a-bout way ---  we print on an HP 5000 laserjet to positive, then contact to film negative, then make metal plate... poor man's way to get good quality with limited resources.  It works, hey, that's something!!

Thanks to all,    Lamar