• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw editing is not enabled. ?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Win7 x64, the x32 version of CS6 Bridge is installed by CS6 InDesign.

That is likely because InDesign is still x32 based.

However when I try to run Camera Raw using Bridge I receive the following error, even though I have run CS6 InDesign prior to attempting this:

Camera Raw editing is not enabled.

Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature.

https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/744652/BridgeCS6-CR-Prefs-3_inline.jpg?1338425869

Is there a solution available to this problem, other than installing CS6 Photoshop ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried launching Bridge from the qualifying product?  Normally it is Photoshop, but guess in this case it is InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no difference.

The problem arises directly when I head to the pull down menu Edit -> Camera Raw Preferences.

It appears I can't use Camera Raw with Bridge/InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a suite with CS6 Photoshopm but have not installed PS?  If so why not?

Can you open camera raw from InDesign or any other product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, I have the CS6 InDesign upgrade product. If they provided a suite installer I would not know that since it only installed InDesign.

So far I don't much like Photoshop CS6, I prefer CS4 & CS5 for now. My testing of CS6 Photoshop isn't proving that it's worth much to me.

Because CS6 Bridge was forced on me by the InDesign installer - there was no option to deselect it, I thought that I might be able to use it. Unfortunately it's still only the x32 version.

InDesign does not support CameraRaw directly, there's no option to set that up. Nor does it make sense that it would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 Bridge is a 32 bit and a 64 bit product now. 

I would launch CS6 64 bit and then try to launch Bridge from there.  It should open 64 bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have missed what I said earlier.

The CS6 InDesign installer does NOT install the x64 version of Bridge. So it is not possible to run Bridge that way.

It appears you need a qualifying product to use the x64 version of Bridge, and InDesign CS6 doesn't meet that test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plasticAnimal,

You seem more interested in arguing than fixing the problem.  We try to help but if not interested in pursuing solutions suggested, then you need to contact the help line.

You said you "My testing of CS6 Photoshop isn't proving that it's worth much to me".  This means you have, or had, CS6 on your computer.  Did Bridge work when you launched it from CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not arguing, I'm simply being asked rather consistently to restate what I have already hoped I clearly stated previously. Obviously I'm getting bored with the repetition.

I'm not interested in using NOR HAVE EVER HAD Photshop CS6 on the computer in question. Why you think I may have is a leap of conjecture on your part.

I'm merely consistently stating the obvious point here.

The CS6 Bridge that installs (like it or not) with the CS6 InDesign installer is only 32 bit, on a Win7 x64 system.

In addition to that, Bridge CS6 will NOT allow Camera Raw to be accessed or run because it needs a 'qualifying product'. Which apparently DOES NOT include InDesign CS6.

I've stated noting about any problem with or using Bridge CS5, Photoshop CS5 or the Camera Raw used by those earlier versions.

I'm only complaing that I cannot use Bridge CS6 to access and run Camera Raw. I have as yet to see this problem be directly addressed except by 'workarounds' that cannot solve the actual problem.

You might think I am arguing, but I am not interested in purchasing more expensive software just to run CameraRaw using the version of Bridge CS6 that was installed by InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only complaing that I cannot use Bridge CS6 to access and run Camera Raw. I have as yet to see this problem be directly addressed

Adobe Camera Raw is a Photoshop Plugin and only works in Photoshop. You can use Bridge to access the ACR Plug in because it has a start up script for PS installed. You can use Bridge to open files in the ACR window but that is a short cut through PS itself.

The Bridge command Open for a Raw file opens the ACR window in PS, the Bridge command Open in Camera Raw opens another window in Bridge itself. While you can have both ACR methods active at the same time it still is a Photoshop plugin.

Lightroom uses the same engine of PS ACR but has a different UI.

You can place a Raw file or a DNG as a Smart Object in InDesign and alter it afterwards but you do need PS for that type of editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the leap of faith when you said "My testing of CS6 Photoshop isn't proving that it's worth much to me" which to me means you tested it on you machine.  But that is neither here nor there.

Know nothing about InDesign.  Is is a 64 bit program?  Do you have a 64 bit OS?

Have you asked this question about only installing the 32 bit version on the InDesign Forum, and whether anyone else has problem about launching a qualifying product?    http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_general

If this is a new installation believe Adobe offers free help if install fails.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because CS6 Bridge was forced on me by the InDesign installer - there was no option to deselect it, I thought that I might be able to use it. Unfortunately it's still only the x32 version.

Technically it should be possible to keep using CS5 Bridge with InDesign, you only have to alter your filetype associations in CS5 to open files in ID CS6. And deselect the autostart for Bridge CS6 because you can only have one version of Bridge active at the time.

But keep in mind that the upgrade policy from Adobe again has changed and at the end of this year you can only upgrade from one version back, otherwise you have to buy a full version,

Also the offer for the Cloud version of CS6 is something to consider, especially if you have a small business. Without knowing your needs or situation the Cloud offers the lot of applications including the latest updates for the Master Collection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but the problem is in not being able to use CameraRaw with Bridge CS6.

Otherwise I'm not haviing an issue using Bridge.

AND like I said, despite the sales pitch, I'm not interested in upgrading to Photoshop CS6 as it appears lacking to me. So why exactly would I want to pay for something that is not any more useful to me than previous versions I already have ?

Are you working on a commission basis for Adobe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on a commission basis for Adobe ?

No, I'm a user like you but I'm trying to help with relevant information to my best knowledge. It seems I can't express my self very good or you do not listen very well.

You have been presented with options to use ACR in CS5 while using it with ID CS6. Also been informed about the changed upgrade policy and the Adobe movements to the Cloud, if you like it or not, that seems the future path they are heading to.

Whether you do something with that info or not is up to you. I couldn't care less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution available to this problem, other than installing CS6 Photoshop ?

Like Curt I think you have to use Photoshop for this. I'm a bit in doubt because you can use both ACR in PS and Bridge but to my knowledge only PS is capable of handling Raw edit, Bridge might show the option because the same version seems to be used suite wide but in fact it uses PS to show the ACR edit window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I know this issue is extremely frustrating as I am experiencing it as well with CS6. I do not know what is causing it. I have tried reinstalling and even attempting to open it when I had the trial first. So far there hasn't been a solution I could find that has helped UNTIL......

I came across this article on how to open Camera RAW through photoshop without using Bridge at all. I know it isn't a fix to the problem but it is a side step that will allow you to access all images (even multiple images) using Camera RAW WITHOUT NEEDING BRIDGE at all! I was so greatful to this author that I wanted to share the article with you as well in hopes it will help in your similar situations! If a solution should become available, please post!!

Read here: http://blog.monkeyless.com/2008/12/14/opening-jpegs-in-adobe-camera-raw-without-using-bridge/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this blog to the OP his problem nor do I understand the solution.

Why should you not want to use Bridge and why should you want to open all jpeg files in Adobe Camera Raw.

As said before, ACR is a Photoshop plug in and can be reached in PS as well as through Bridge when having PS installed to reach that plug in.

In the very old CS3 version (also known as the worst version of Bridge ever) there where different options to set (and needed to set, all very confusing) for handling jpeg files. They changed this in CS4 to one Camera Raw preference window that can be reached via the Bridge menu or the menu icon in the ACR window itself, whether you have opened it using PS or Bridge.

The solution offered here is that every jpeg file opens first in ACR and I can't see the usefulness of that, in fact it is more likely to be very unusable because every jpeg file you only want to view in PS first opens the ACR dialog window.

And while their are some benefits in having the option to use ACR for jpeg files it is not a coincidence they called this plug in 'Adobe Camera Raw' and really meant for in camera generated Raw files. Jpeg created files in camera have much more ACR limitations (think also color settings and blacks that) then the highly editable original Raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... well to answer that ridiculous rant.... Obviously Bridge isn't working as smoothly for some as for others.

I am having this same lame issue:

https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/744652/BridgeCS6-CR-Prefs-3_inline.jpg?1338425869

which means that regardless of the plug in being available, I CANNOT open it through Bridge, nor can many others.

Now reading through here I saw many people trying to offer ways to fix this issue but you know what... none of them have worked.

And of course ideally you don't want JPEGs always opening in RAW first but in some cases you do need the option to open a JPEG if you would like to work in RAW first.

An option which is only available using Bridge or MiniBridge unless my image is actually a RAW image....

Now, I can use minibridge fine as a way to avoid Bridge all together. That was working well untill I needed to open and edit multiple JPEG files at the same time into Camera RAW.

CANNOT BE DONE WITH OUT BRIDGE... that is unless you change the settings listed in that article... Settings which can be turned off as well.

Another reason, even if Bridge is working fine, is that running both Photoshop and Bridge can take up extra space and memory that may slow down your progress. This could cause your progress to be slowed or lag, especially on an older comp.

The point being, even though you don't understand it, people use Camera RAW for many different reasons, and rather it benefits you personnally or not, it may benefit someone else so please save your rant because that article helped me with my situation and all I wanted to do was make it available to others that may have similar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HaPPYhEll wrote:

I came across this article on how to open Camera RAW through photoshop without using Bridge at all. I know it isn't a fix to the problem but it is a side step that will allow you to access all images (even multiple images) using Camera RAW WITHOUT NEEDING BRIDGE at all! I was so greatful to this author that I wanted to share the article with you as well in hopes it will help in your similar situations! If a solution should become available, please post!!

The strange thing about this is that Bridge and Photoshop use the same camera raw plugin.  But you say you do not have Photoshop CS6.

So it agin boils down to fixing whatever requires "launching from a qualifying product".

From what I read you are using Bridge CS6 from InDesign but do not have Photoshop CS6 installed.  PS is usually the qualifying product to launch and it may be waiting to be launched from there.

You never answered if you have posted your problem on InDesign.  Surly you are not the only one that has the same configuration of InDesign and Bridge CS6 without Photoshop CS6.

THe InDesign forum should have some answers if Bridge and ACR works OK or not.

If you find out please post back so we know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

Please read the user names more carefully. You are refering to someone else with an earlier conversation. I am a new comer to this thread who was just sharing a cool article I came across.

I do indeed have CS6, I do have and use Photoshop CS6 and I do have the same problem as the person your comment was intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy, sorry about misplaced comment.

If you launch Bridge from photoshop can you use ACR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I can't. I have the same issue as listed above and I have installed and reinstalled. I've never had this issue with cs, 2, 3, 4 or 5 so it's weird that all of a sudden 6 would be an issue. During my research I was able to see that it was a common issue for all versions of CS but there doesn't seem to be any real solution that I can find (and I am really good at researching lol. It is really frustrating though and I hope someone figures out what is going on with this issue sooner than later.

I actually teach others how to use the CS programs so it's a little embarrassing when mine doesn't work right:/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O and it may benefit to know that I use a PC win 7/x64. And my comp is brand freakin new, like I got it on friday lol. So I know it is something inside Adobe itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it with CS6 32 bit?

Have you tried setting up another user name?

Temporarily turning off anti-virus?

Any other software that might conflict?

Must be something unique as do not see this problem other than you two.

If we can narrow this down Adobe would have a better shot at identifying the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deactivating and then reactivating PS?  It is weird, but this has solved issue with past versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines