5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 1:48 PM by Matthew.Fry

Possible to export text to .wcml format?

Matthew.Fry

I have found several different scripts for exporting text from an InDesign page into .txt, .rtf and .doc. I am wondering if it is possible to export text to a .wcml format.

• 1. Re: Possible to export text to .wcml format?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

These scripts do nothing else than call on InDesign's built-in export capabilities. Since it has no filter for "wcml", there is nothing existing to call upon.

Perhaps you could write your own, if it's a basic text based format, but Googling brings up "West Coast Main Line" and "WCML FM", so if it's either a railroad format or some music file, you're out of luck.

• 2. Re: Possible to export text to .wcml format?
            Dirk Becker Level 4

If I remember that correctly, wcml is just WoodWing's brew of icml.

Dirk

• 3. Re: Possible to export text to .wcml format?
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My search brought this

Screen shot 2012-06-04 at 3.22.59 PM.png

• 4. Re: Possible to export text to .wcml format?
                Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

I am happy to see I wasn't the only one confused with the google results on WCML

• 5. Re: Possible to export text to .wcml format?
                  Matthew.Fry Level 1

We are using WoodWing's Content Station and Smart Connection.

We recently lost several months worth of articles from the system. So I am pulling articles off of the InDesign pages using the script listed below (ExportAllText.jsx), which exports all of the text from the page to either a .txt or .rft document. Since our articles in WoodWing are .wcml, I was hoping I could export the text in this format.

There are 2 modifications I would like to make on the script:

1. I want to name the exported text file the same name of the InDesign page (example: vds-06.04-a1) instead of having to input a name each time.

2. I want to do away with the dialog box and set it to export to .txt (or .wcml) and add the separator line.

Thanks.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

if(app.documents.length != 0){

if(app.documents.item(0).stories.length != 0){

myGetFileName(app.documents.item(0).name);

}

}

//========================= FUNCTIONS ===========================

function myGetFileName(myDocumentName){

var myFilePath = File.saveDialog("Save Exported File As:");

if(myFilePath != null){

myDisplayDialog(myDocumentName, myFilePath);

}

}

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

function myDisplayDialog(myDocumentName, myFilePath){

//Need to get export format, story separator.

var myExportFormats = ["RTF", "Tagged Text", "Text Only"];

var myDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"ExportAllStories"});

with(myDialog.dialogColumns.add()){

with(dialogRows.add()){

with(dialogColumns.add()){

var myExportFormatDropdown = dropdowns.add({stringList:myExportFormats, selectedIndex:0});

}

}

with(dialogRows.add()){

var myAddSeparatorCheckbox = checkboxControls.add({staticLabel:"Add separator line", checkedState:true});

}

}

var myResult = myDialog.show();

if(myResult == true){

var myExportFormat = myExportFormats[myExportFormatDropdown.selectedIndex];

var myAddSeparator = myAddSeparatorCheckbox.checkedState;

myDialog.destroy();

myExportAllText(myDocumentName, myFilePath, myExportFormat, myAddSeparator);

}

else{

myDialog.destroy();

}

}

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

function myExportAllText(myDocumentName, myFilePath, myExportFormat, myAddSeparator){

var myPage, myStory;

var myExportedStories = [];

var myTempFolder = Folder.temp;

var myTempFile = File(myTempFolder + "/tempTextFile.txt");

var myNewDocument = app.documents.add();

var myDocument = app.documents.item(myDocumentName);

var myTextFrame = myNewDocument.pages.item(0).textFrames.add({geometricBounds:myGetBounds(myNewDocument, myNewDocument.pages.item(0))});

var myNewStory = myTextFrame.parentStory;

for (var i = 0; i < myDocument.pages.length; i++) {

myPage = myDocument.pages.item(i);

for (var t = 0; t < myPage.textFrames.length; t++){

myStory = myPage.textFrames[t].parentStory;

if (!IsInArray(myStory.id, myExportedStories)) {

//Export the story as tagged text.

myStory.exportFile(ExportFormat.taggedText, myTempFile);

myExportedStories.push(myStory.id);

//Import (place) the file at the end of the temporary story.

myNewStory.insertionPoints.item(-1).place(myTempFile);

//If the imported text did not end with a return, enter a return

//to keep the stories from running together.

if(i != myDocument.stories.length -1){

if(myNewStory.characters.item(-1).contents != "\r"){

myNewStory.insertionPoints.item(-1).contents = "\r";

}

if(myAddSeparator == true){

myNewStory.insertionPoints.item(-1).contents = "----------------------------------------\r";

}

}

} // if not exported

} // for text frames

} // for pages

switch(myExportFormat){

case "Text Only":

myFormat = ExportFormat.textType;

myExtension = ".txt"

break;

case "RTF":

myFormat = ExportFormat.RTF;

myExtension = ".rtf"

break;

case "Tagged Text":

myFormat = ExportFormat.taggedText;

myExtension = ".txt"

break;

}

myNewStory.exportFile(myFormat, File(myFilePath));

myNewDocument.close(SaveOptions.no);

myTempFile.remove();

}

function myGetBounds(myDocument, myPage){

var myPageWidth = myDocument.documentPreferences.pageWidth;

var myPageHeight = myDocument.documentPreferences.pageHeight

if(myPage.side == PageSideOptions.leftHand){

var myX2 = myPage.marginPreferences.left;

var myX1 = myPage.marginPreferences.right;

}

else{

var myX1 = myPage.marginPreferences.left;

var myX2 = myPage.marginPreferences.right;

}

var myY1 = myPage.marginPreferences.top;

var myX2 = myPageWidth - myX2;

var myY2 = myPageHeight - myPage.marginPreferences.bottom;

return [myY1, myX1, myY2, myX2];

}

function IsInArray(myString, myArray) {

for (x in myArray) {

if (myString == myArray[x]) {

return true;

}

}

return false;

}