7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 9:13 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup

thomasd2112

Recently I've been having this problem with Premiere Elements 9 where it will keep crashing whenever I load or start a new project. I'll start Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit). I then either select New Project and create a new project, or load an old one. Once the project loads, it stops responding. No special error message comes up, except for the one that always comes up when a program is not responding. This message gives me the option to close the program or wait for it to respond. It never does respond, so I always close it.

I've had the program for almost a year now, I got it near the end of June last year, and it came with Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9. This problem came up last Friday, and I've been trying many different things to try and fix it. I updated the program, I checked Quicktime, I updated my video card, I tried running the program under a different user, I tried running the program without any other applications running, I cleaned and defragmented the disk, and I scanned for viruses. I also reinstalled the program from my desktop, and I also tried deleting everything about the program on my computer and reinstalling it, and so far, nothing has worked.

Here are some details on my computer. I have a Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64-bit operating system. The manufacturer is Dell and the model is Inspiron 580. I have 4 GB of RAM. The processor I have is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz. My system has Service Pack 1. There are currently 241 GB free on my hard drive, which has 455 GB.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would work though this ARTICLE. It sounds like you have done most of what the first part covers, but check, just to be sure. The second part offers tips on tuning up one's computer and OS. The last part covers troubleshooting tips.

Now, a couple of questions: how much free space do you have on each of your HDD's?

What has changed with your system, from when PrE worked fine, and now?

When you checked your video driver, did you go to the card/chip mfgr's. Web site, or did you let Windows tell you, that you had the latest driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
            thomasd2112 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

To help answer the first question, I only have one HDD on my system, and it currently has 241 GB's free, out of the 455 GB's that it can store.

Nothing has really changed with my system to my knowledge. I remember I was editing a project and I dragged an .mp4 video file into the project, and when it was adding the media, it stopped responding. I closed the program, and after that, the main problem began, where the program would stop responding once a project loaded. Since then, I've cleaned up as much as I could on my hard drive. I remember on that day I only had 100 GB's free, so it was pretty full. I cleaned up a ton of stuff, and the problem is still there. So, to answer the second question, the problem just kind of appeared. Everything was running fine until last Friday.

When I checked the video driver, I went to the AMD website. My computer has an ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card. Windows told me that it was all up to date, but I went on the internet just to make sure. The AMD website has a program that will automatically detect if you have the latest drivers, so I downloaded it. It told me to download a new driver, so I did. Unfortunately, updating the video drive didn't solve the problem.

Just one thing that might help though, was that one of the things I tried was to create a new user to see what would happen if I ran the program. When I went into the new user and started Premiere Elements, I created a new project, and everything worked perfectly until I tried to add a video. When I dragged an .mp4 video file to the project, it suddenly stopped responding and crashed. I then tried to start a new project, but that brought me right back to where I started, where the program would crash right away. So, maybe the problem has something to do with my user.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Twice you said a crash happened after trying to import an mp4 file... so please provide more information about your mp4 files

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
                thomasd2112 Level 1

So I got G Spot and decided to take a look at one of my .mp4 files. Attached here is a screenshot I took of G Spot looking at the .mp4 file. The mp4 file here is a video I took using my digital video camera. I never had a problem with .mp4 files until the program crashed on Friday.

I created a temporary new user account again to see what would happen when I opened PrE, and I got very different results from last time. The program worked perfectly; it loaded projects very quickly, it added mp4 files without freezing, and I was able to edit my project with ease. I tried using the program three times in this temporary new user account, and all three times it worked perfectly. When I went back to my original user account, the problem was still there, and the program  crashed once the project loaded.

But anyway, here's the screenshot.

G Spot Screenshot.png

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting on your test with a New User Account. It sounds like your Preferences have become corrupted. While not a common occurance, it is not unheard of.

Usually, with many Adobe programs, one can launch the program, while continuing to hold down Ctrl+Shift+Alt, until they get a prompt, saying that Preferences will be reset to default. This is what we want - to reset the Preferences. When launced this way, the Preferences will be overwritten. However, some Adobe programs do things a bit differently. Some only require that Ctrl be held down, while some use Ctrl+Shift. I cannot keep them all apart, so I hope that others will chime in with the exact keys required to get PrE to reset its Preferences. I thought that we had a FAQ Entry on Resetting Preferences, but could not find it.

Now, Preferences are stored for each User, as you have discovered. One can manually Delete (actually I like to do this with a Rename) their Preferences. Then, when launched, PrE will rewrite the Preferences file, per the default, by-passing a corrupt one. The Preferences file will be in a Path, similar to this one:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\[Version Number]\ and will be Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs (with no file extension showing). I would Rename that file to "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs(old)." Then, launch PrE and let it write a new Preferences file. Note: any settings that you have changed in Edit>Preferences, such as Default Still Duration, etc., will need to be redone, as everything will be back to the default settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
                    thomasd2112 Level 1

I tried to re-create the preferences file, but the problem was still there. I decided to retrace my steps from what I did on Friday. I went back onto the new user I created yesterday and opened up premiere. I looked at all the files I used for the project that day, and I suddenly realized that one of  the .mp4 was corrupt, and I didn't notice it. I didn't really preview it before I put it into the project on Friday, so I guess I should've done that. I tried putting it onto the project, and sure enough, it crashed the program. I had now found my problem. I went back onto my user and deleted the corrupted video file, and all of a sudden, PrE worked perfectly again. You were right John, the problem had to do with a corrupted .mp4 file. I guess something happened when I was filming or when I was putting the file onto my computer that damaged the file, and I guess I didn't notice it. The .mp4 file came from my user, which I guess is why the program worked on other users and not mine.

So, the problem is now solved. Thank you guys very much for helping me with this problem. I am so relieved now that I can continue using the program without any issues.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Keeps Crashing on Startup
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and thank you for reporting your success.

Happy editing,

Hunt