5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 9:11 AM by liveoak

D11 Unicode Text Issues

edb00
      There appear to be several text issues in D11 on Mac OSX 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.
      First problem being that setting the style of text to bold or italic doesn't show any change. This occurs in both Shockwave and D11 projectors.

Second using Chines Unicode font Song the text in fields sometimes disappears. Its still there since calculations based on the content of those fields still works but no text is visible onscreen.
      This font also has the problem where the text will not change to bold.

Anyone else seenig anything like this or have a solution?

Thanks
      EDB
        • 1. Re: D11 Unicode Text Issues
          JPrice
          I just installed D11 and noticed some funny stuff with Chinese. I don't have any solution, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Judy
          • 2. Re: D11 Unicode Text Issues
            diruser
            It is possible that if the font doesn't have Bold and Italics information, then the style may not appear. Can you let me know which font you are trying out with?

Chinese Unicode font, can you give more info on the font? Which font? which version? I can try it out in my machine...
            • 3. Re: D11 Unicode Text Issues
              edb00 Level 1
              IF we are now limited to setting only font styles that are specifically defined in the font we're in real trouble.
              This is NOT the way it worked in all previous version of Director that I've used (7, 8, 8.5 MX, MX 2004).
              The project I'm converting to D11 deals with font styles as I would expect in MX 2004 on the very same machine with the same fonts that D11 refuses to make bold.

This is the Chinese font information from my Mac...
              Song Regular, 18 pt.

PostScript name SIL-Song-Reg-Jian
              Full name Song Regular
              Family Song
              Style Regular
              Kind TrueType
              Language Bulgarian, Chinese, Cornish, English, Indonesian, Malay, Oromo, Russian, Somali, Swahili
              Version 4.1d1e1
              Location /Library/Fonts/Song.dfont
              Unique name Song Regular; 4.1d1e1; Wed, Feb 19, 2003
              Copyright © Copyright Shanghai Ikarus Ltd. 1993 1994 1995
              Trademark Shanghai Ikarus Ltd./URW Software & Type GmbH
              Enabled Yes
              Duplicate Yes
              Copy protected No
              Embeddable Yes

• 4. Re: D11 Unicode Text Issues
                Chunick Level 3
                the text rendering engine was completely rewritten to be independent of the OS, so I would suspect that's why you're seeing the differences in D11 vs. any previous version.
                • 5. Re: D11 Unicode Text Issues
                  liveoak Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: edb00
                  IF we are now limited to setting only font styles that are specifically defined in the font we're in real trouble.
                  This is NOT the way it worked in all previous version of Director that I've used (7, 8, 8.5 MX, MX 2004).

I understand that change seems to be bad, but the way that Director has always modified fonts itself (with italics and bold) was just a nightmare. It did a bad job, particularly in kerning, and when you had an actual italic font internal to your movie it was a hassle to implement - the italics button used Director's italics rather than the true italics font.

So the change will involve work to transition your old members, but will have a future. I've used Director since v 3, but feel it was the right decision of Adobe to redo the text engine right, not continue to support the bad implementation that Macromedia never addressed in their updates.