7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 3:13 PM by Vincenzo992001

open in an old version

Vincenzo992001

My graphics guy used InDesign CS3 to create a brochure for me. I have InDesign 2.0 on my computer. Is there a way he can export it so that I can edit it on my computer. I've been unable to open either the .inx or the .indd files that he has sent me.

Thanks

• 1. Re: open in an old version
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

You don't mean you have CS2, do you? If so, then read my article:

http://trainingonsite.com/143-uncategorised/56-indesign-cs4-to-cs3-cs2.html

But, if you actually have InDesign 2, circa the year 2000 or 2001, then no, I don't think you can. You will have to upgrade.

Best to you,

Mike Witherell, Adobe Certified Expert

TrainingOnsite.com

• 2. Re: open in an old version
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Are you sure you have InDesign 2.0 and not CS2?

If so, you are out of luck.

Information via Google:

CS3 can save to CS2 via INX.

CS2 can save to CS via INX.

Nothing can backsave to InDesign 2, not even via INX.  There is an erroneous help file in InDesign CS that claims that it can be done - - but it cannot.  The help file was written prior to the final release of CS1 and that feature never made it.

InDesign 2.0 was released in Jan 2002 so it is now 10 years old. This is ancient history in computer time.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: open in an old version
              Vincenzo992001 Level 1

yes it is InDesign 2.0  very old. Any leads on where I can buy ID CS2 at reduced cost?

• 4. Re: open in an old version
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only places you will find old versions of InDesign are likely to be private sales like the auction sites such as eBay. Be very cautious of any sale that way. In order to register and activate your software you will need a trnasfer of license form from the orignal license holder. Educatioanl versions are not transferable, nor are versions used as part of an upgrade path unless all versions in that upgrade chain are transfered together, and many users are either not aware of these limitations or don't care. And of course the Internet is littered with useless counterfeits, too.

If your colleague uses CS3, why would you want to buy CS2? Aside from the best advice, which is you both should upgrade to CS6 (and now is his last chance to do it at a discount), it would make more sense for you to buy CS3 than CS2.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: open in an old version
                  Vincenzo992001 Level 1

Thanks for the information.

My use of the software would be so minimal I cannot justify the cost. If CS2 can edit the file without degrading it in any way, that is all I need.

• 6. Re: open in an old version
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's likely to be little difference in cost between an old copy of CS2 and one of CS3. Being able to open .inx from CS3 in CS2 does not mean the document will be identical to the original. Any features introduced in CS3 and used inthe file will be lost in CS2, and the text flow is going to be a little different due to changes in the text engine from version to version. Round-trip from CS3 to CS2 and back again to CS3 is not a good workflow, either.

• 7. Re: open in an old version
                      Vincenzo992001 Level 1

OK thanks for all the help.