13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2006 9:37 PM by namon96

odd error message...

r_tist Level 1
      odd error message...

Have you ever heard of this? What can I do to gain access as I need to modify the page(es)?
      "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded."

Please advise, I'd appreciate your advice...perhaps there's another .asp page contained within this site that controls all the pages so the change I make will reflect on all pages contained within the site??

THANKS!
        • 1. Re: odd error message...
          Level 7
          It sounds like a template has been applied to that page... you should be
          able to see template tags in your code if there is. Not sure what a
          translator is... sorry.

Andrew

"r_tist" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ectu1f$6bh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > odd error message...
          >
          > Have you ever heard of this? What can I do to gain access as I need to
          > modify
          > the page(es)?
          > "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a
          > template
          > or a translator. The change will be discarded."
          >
          > Please advise, I'd appreciate your advice...perhaps there's another .asp
          > page
          > contained within this site that controls all the pages so the change I
          > make
          > will reflect on all pages contained within the site??
          >
          > THANKS!
          >
          >

• 2. Re: odd error message...
            Level 7
            What is it you are trying to change?

Does your child page validate?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"r_tist" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ectu1f$6bh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > odd error message...
            >
            > Have you ever heard of this? What can I do to gain access as I need to
            > modify
            > the page(es)?
            > "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a
            > template
            > or a translator. The change will be discarded."
            >
            > Please advise, I'd appreciate your advice...perhaps there's another .asp
            > page
            > contained within this site that controls all the pages so the change I
            > make
            > will reflect on all pages contained within the site??
            >
            > THANKS!
            >
            >

• 3. Re: odd error message...
              r_tist Level 1
              I should mention that this site was designed with frames...is that what you mean when you say "parent & child"?
              I am simply looking to add anoher button link for a new web page to the homepage...but obviously, this update needs to be on every page. S o perhaps there's another key page with just this interface design, which would then update all the pages of the site if I make the change here?? --what d' you think?
              I appreciate your help!
              • 4. Re: odd error message...
                r_tist Level 1
                Hi,

Any advice? I researched the net & a lot of people have complained about this DW issue. I'm not sure what the fix might be, if any!

Please help...thanks!
                • 5. Re: odd error message...
                  Level 7

> Any advice?

please give a link to the page.
                  If you give a link to a frameset- say which FRAME in it is giving the error.

• 6. Re: odd error message...
                    r_tist Level 1
                    Hi,

Here's the link: www.beekley.com
                    I am simply trying to modify the left hand button panel...trying to add another button in there.
                    But, I get that error message so I do not want to play about with it until I understand why it won't allow me to make changes.

Thank you!
                    • 7. Re: odd error message...
                      r_tist Level 1
                      Please help...something to do with templates or template control?

THANKS!
                      • 8. Re: odd error message...
                        Level 7

>
                        > Here's the link: www.beekley.com
                        > I am simply trying to modify the left hand button panel...trying to add
                        > another button in there.

I see no templates used anywhere.

Are you using templates, then "exporting without markup"?

If yes, please upload a copy of a page that does give this error message,
                        with the template comments intact.

A random guess is the commented out <td>

• 9. Re: odd error message...
                          namon96
                          I've got a similar problem.

Templates worked fine until this morning when I got

"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator"

I couldn't add anything to my child pages, however I tracked it down to an #include on the template page which has been working OK for weeks

As soon as I remove the include all worked fine

I replaced the include file with a simple html file with no tags, just the word Hi

Again when I go back to my child pages, nothing works

Take out the simple include from the template file and all is OK again

Any ideas on this bug
                          • 10. Re: odd error message...
                            Level 7

> I replaced the include file with a simple html file with no tags, just the
                            > word Hi

does the included file contain JUST Hi
                            or is it a complete html document, with Hi in the body section?

restating- does the included file contain it's own <html><head> and <body>
                            tags? It shouldn't, it should contain only the html tags that are correct
                            syntax for where it is included into other files.

>
                            > Again when I go back to my child pages, nothing works

• 11. Re: odd error message...
                              namon96 Level 1
                              no head - no body tags - no tags at all, just the word Hi

The strange thing is all my includes up until this morning were working fine, including those that served up database records. I went to work on one of the child pages and got the error message and after looking at some of the posts here, tracked it down to the include files.

I remove all include files from the Template and all is OK

I put a simple footer include with no html just the word Hi and page goes faulty again
                              • 12. Re: odd error message...
                                Level 7
                                namon96 wrote:
                                > no head - no body tags - no tags at all, just the word Hi
                                >
                                > The strange thing is all my includes up until this morning were working fine,
                                > including those that served up database records. I went to work on one of the
                                > child pages and got the error message and after looking at some of the posts
                                > here, tracked it down to the include files.
                                >
                                > I remove all include files from the Template and all is OK
                                >
                                > I put a simple footer include with no html just the word Hi and page goes
                                > faulty again
                                >
                                Can you post a link to the page so Dr. Murray can have a look at it?
                                Ideally 1 to template and a second link to the misbehaving child?

--
                                Bonnie
                                in California
                                8 ^ )
                                • 13. Re: odd error message...
                                  namon96 Level 1
                                  Strange, the problem appeared out of the blue one day and disappeared the next day and hasn't come back since!