Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying me.  I cant download any books from my local library and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling  ADE.  The only thing that might be relevant is I've changed ISP's but my old email addy is good for the next 12 months so am not even sure if changing ISP's could be a factor.

TOPICS
Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling the software won't help - and doing so may cause other

problems if you don't do it properly.

The issue may be caused by the way your Windows 7 software is configured.

Check to make sure that it will allow communication with the website.

Also, there are some issues concerning digital rights of the materials

you're dealing with. Check out THIS

LINK<http://technology.myblogzone.info/2011/01/how-to-solve-the-error-getting-license-message-in-adobe-digital-editions/>

for

a description of this type of error and what to do about it.

Hope this helps!

=========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thatnks for your reply Frustrated in AZ. Perhaps if I could deauthorize my computer I might get somewhere but the instructions here http://ebookreadersoftware.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/how-to-change-the-authorized-adobe-id/ dont help at all.  I have tried this several times and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FAQ's in ADE's HELP section may have your answer. Try the F1 key in

Library mode, and look through the index.... If you're up at this hour,

what else is there to do?

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, I live in the Southern Hemisphere.

I've fixed it.  After trying multiple times, I finally managed to get the deauthorize popup.  Deauthorized ADE and then uninstalled it again.  I downloaded and reinstalled it again using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox as was suggested in another thread I read yesterday and reauthorized it.  It seems to be working fine now.

Nasty buggy piece of software though.  It 's a pity I have to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you had trouble. But I have to comment on your comment.

There are tens of thousands of people who use ADE and don't have the kind

of problems you've had. It's not 'buggy' software, but as you've found

out, some other software that interacts with it don't play well with it.

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe digital edditions is the bing search engine in internet explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In July of 2011, I kept receiving this "E_ADEPT_IO" message.  The resolution is that I have to turn McAfee's Firewall OFF before I download books from the library to Adobe Digital Editions, AND keep it off until I have transfered the books to my Nook.

ADE has some background program that doesn't know enough to ask McAfee's permission to go to the internet.  That program checks on the license for the borrowed books.  At least this is the understanding I have from that whole process of trying to borrow a libray book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not quite that way, if I understand the process correctly.

ADE will try to establish a download connection to the websites you visit.

McAfee and Win 7 have security settings you can adjust to allow ADE to do

this. If you don't do the adjustments, that software will prohibit the

download, not ADE, and that's why the message is generated from ADE. The

'background' program you refer to is simply part of ADE, not some other

piece of software.

If your firewall has to be turned 'off' in order for ADE to interact with

an external hard drive (your Nook), then you have some configuring to

do.... That shouldn't happen.

==================

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when I returned a library e-book just now, I did not have either Nook plugged into my PC.

I received the E_ADEPT_IO message when ADE attempted to communicate to the Library via the internet.  When I turned off my McAfee Firewall, ADE functioned successfully to return the e-book.  I understand what you stated about security levels that can be adjusted in McAfee; however, it would be just as easy for ADE to change their software to ask for permission to access the internet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem a year into using MacBook Air with Safari as my browser. Using a Nook Simple Touch.   Free Library of Philadelphia uses OverDrive.  Had no problems for the first 75 books I borrowed. I upgraded from the original Nook to the Simple Touch in January and things were fine til about May.. 

After the occasional problem downoading to ADE, solved by persistence, re-downloading and trying the new download to ADE, now nothing works.  This time there is just NO way to get the book file into my computer. 

The librarian was unable to help me.  When I get the time (Friday probably), I'll go over to the BN store & see what they suggest.  Very flipping annoying, expecially that the freeze happened on a book I have been waiting months for and the librarian says I'll go back to the end of the line in 3 weeks.  Can't even get in line now b/c, according to the library's computer, i've currently got the book checked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - new craziness: I just tried again and when I opened ADE, it asked did I want to complete unfinished downloads.  I clicked GO and got what (back when i programmed on punch cards) used to be called a "DO LOOP."  Exactly 20 times - I counted - the download bar appeared, moved all the way across, then did it again, and again.  About 4 times the error message screen appeared, blinking off before I clicked anything.  I juat watched this display repeatedly go through the motions;  twice the cover of the book partially appeared on the ADE window, only to finally vanish, replaced by the error message - Error getting license, etc.

Sigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue, how do I adjust security settings for windows or McAfee. I never used to have problems downloading books from the library. I am extremely frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. After 2 years of working with no prob, my ADE gave me the same error. I am using Opera, and when I downloaded a book from my local library via IE, the error just disappeared, and now it works just fine (even in Opera again)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACSM files are only a link to download content. Following that link may be blocked by your personal or corporate firewall. If it's your personal firewall you may be able to get round it; if it's your corporate firewall you may be lucky enough to get this treated as a priority. It's unlikely. I would guess that ADE is using something other than port 80, which can only be described as stupid.

It's very poor of Adobe to sell a product that cannot co-operate with standard firewalls, and gives no options to configure it to do so. I've just spent £35 on a book that I can't read, and I'm not very happy about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello, friend! Did you manage to read your book? I went through this problem but I was easily able to open the archive once I switched from the corporative wifi to my personal 3G internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines